Reload this Page >

Husband, Wife and 4 Young Kids Thinking Of Moving To Oz, Advice Please

Husband, Wife and 4 Young Kids Thinking Of Moving To Oz, Advice Please

Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

bigsteve1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Husband, Wife and 4 Young Kids Thinking Of Moving To Oz, Advice Please

Hey guys,

I'm Ste from Liverpool, me the missus and our 4 children are thinking of moving to Australia and would like to ask for your advice.

Initially we would like to move over for 6 months on the working holiday visa to get a feel for the country and see what it's like.

What I would like to know is where are the cheapest places to stay (rentals) which are close to some farming/fruit picking areas.

What is the average price of rent in any of these areas you suggest?

Also is it true that you get paid roughly $15 - $20 picking fruit, I know it can be quite tedious work, but i am used to manual labour so I would just need to adapt to the heat.

Also do you think I would make enough money doing this to pay rent and also get shopping etc.

Your thoughts are much appreciated,

Regards,

Stephen
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:53 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband, Wife and 4 Young Kids Thinking Of Moving To Oz, Advice Please

$20 per hour to support a family with 4 kids?? Wow...I admire your enthusiasm but Australia has a very high cost of living. Its worth a try I grant you, but a lot of hardship and what for? Could you get a Visa later as just a manual labourer? What is the reason you are doing this?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband, Wife and 4 Young Kids Thinking Of Moving To Oz, Advice Please

You wont be able to move over on a WHV (assuming you are under 30) as there is a stipulation that there are to be no dependents with you at any time during the life of your visa. So you and your wife could do it (assuming under 30 of course) but youd have to leave the kids at home
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:58 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigsteve1984
Hey guys,

I'm Ste from Liverpool, me the missus and our 4 children are thinking of moving to Australia and would like to ask for your advice.

Initially we would like to move over for 6 months on the working holiday visa to get a feel for the country and see what it's like.

What I would like to know is where are the cheapest places to stay (rentals) which are close to some farming/fruit picking areas.

What is the average price of rent in any of these areas you suggest?

Also is it true that you get paid roughly $15 - $20 picking fruit, I know it can be quite tedious work, but i am used to manual labour so I would just need to adapt to the heat.

Also do you think I would make enough money doing this to pay rent and also get shopping etc.

Your thoughts are much appreciated,

Regards,

Stephen
Hi Stephen, nice to see another Scouser on the forum It's midnight in Oz so you'll probably have to wait until tomorrow to get advice from the many fine minds on here. I don't know a lot about Australian visa requirements, but I do know that you can't have dependent children with you on a Work/Holiday visa, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you can't wait until tomorrow have a scout around the Oz immigration website, www.immi.gov.au to see if there's a visa you qualify for. Cheers.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paddyo
$20 per hour to support a family with 4 kids?? Wow...I admire your enthusiasm but Australia has a very high cost of living. Its worth a try I grant you, but a lot of hardship and what for? Could you get a Visa later as just a manual labourer? What is the reason you are doing this?
Hey buddy,

Thanks for the reply, just fancy a change of scenery from the uk. I would look for a labouring job while over there however in the meantime would do some fruit picking/farm work to get a little income whilst job hunting.

Just wanted to know if it was a viable solution for a few months whilst looking for something a little better.

Regards,
Stephen
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:02 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Of course....a WHV is a great excuse to leave the kids with Grandparents and enjoy the experience on your own!!
But...seriously....you really have not though this through. Again, what is the purpose of this short 6 month trip?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hey buddy,

Thanks for the reply, just fancy a change of scenery from the uk. I would look for a labouring job while over there however in the meantime would do some fruit picking/farm work to get a little income whilst job hunting.

Just wanted to know if it was a viable solution for a few months whilst looking for something a little better.

Regards,
Stephen
Based on the fact that with a WHV you would have to leave the rest of the family at home, then the pay rate doesn't really matter, so it's not any sort of a viable option.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Stephen, nice to see another Scouser on the forum It's midnight in Oz so you'll probably have to wait until tomorrow to get advice from the many fine minds on here. I don't know a lot about Australian visa requirements, but I do know that you can't have dependent children with you on a Work/Holiday visa, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you can't wait until tomorrow have a scout around the Oz immigration website, www.immi.gov.au to see if there's a visa you qualify for. Cheers.
Alright mate,

Thanks for the reply.

The wife would be getting a regular holiday visa and would also be looking after the kids while I have the holiday work visa, can she do that?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:05 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Stephen,
Ignore the publicity right now...Australia is a great place to be IF you are already in Australia. It is not a solution to escape from the issues in UK now and to get a Visa to come here you need a specific skill and it is getting more and more difficult by the day. I get you want to try something different, but Oz is a hard nut to crack right now. Good luck fella.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Steve, as well as looking at the immi site, have a look around the IMMIGRATION, VISAS AND CITIZENSHIP page, you'll find the link at the top of this page. This is where the moderators will move your thread to anyway, and by reading some of the relevant threads you'll begin to get an understanding of what's required to immigrate to Australia.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:19 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Can I just say....please note...you EMIGRATE , as in leave, and become an IMMIGRANT, as in join. The first word, emigrant, is a noun that describes someone who has left their native homeland in order to settle in another country: For example, “many emigrants left their European home nations in the nineteenth century and headed to the land of opportunity in the US of A”.

The second word, immigrant, is also a noun but this word describes someone who has already entered and settled in another country and has already embarked on a new life there. For example, “it is often the case that many new immigrants can only find low paying manual jobs.”
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Can I just say....please note...you EMIGRATE , as in leave, and become an IMMIGRANT, as in join. The first word, emigrant, is a noun that describes someone who has left their native homeland in order to settle in another country: For example, “many emigrants left their European home nations in the nineteenth century and headed to the land of opportunity in the US of A”.

The second word, immigrant, is also a noun but this word describes someone who has already entered and settled in another country and has already embarked on a new life there. For example, “it is often the case that many new immigrants can only find low paying manual jobs.”
Lol thanks for the english lesson.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:21 pm
Concierge

I was being optimistic

Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:22 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Lol thanks for the english lesson.
Sorry mate, a bit tongue in cheek.....I can be a pedant at times!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:23 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I was being optimistic

and why not....optimism is a great trait...unless you are a realist!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.