Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Huntsman Spiders, not as bad as you think !

Huntsman Spiders, not as bad as you think !

Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold
Default Huntsman Spiders, not as bad as you think !

Fair enough, they arn't the best looking creature, and you certainly dont want to wake up with one on you, but just take a few minutes to search for information and you'll find that they are not half as bad as you may well have thought.
Next time you see one, dont spray it or give it the shoe treatment, just put it outside (in next door's letter box is a fun place) and give the poor blighters a chance.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Huntsman Spiders, not as bad as you think !

Remind me never to live next door to you!

So what's your tips for catching a 10cm hunstman which moves as fast as Linford Christie?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:15 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Remind me never to live next door to you!

So what's your tips for catching a 10cm hunstman which moves as fast as Linford Christie?
o dear got this image with eight legs and huge swinging bit battering its way down the corridor
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Yes, we all know they're not harmful but they are a bit of a challenge for an arachnaphobe (speaking from experience unfortunately!).
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:01 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Yes, we all know they're not harmful but they are a bit of a challenge for an arachnaphobe (speaking from experience unfortunately!).
Oh Gaawwd, I live in fear of those blighters
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:59 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately squashing isn't really an option, the debris is almost as bad (but immobile ... save the odd twitch ...).
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:44 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I've got pretty expert with a mid-sized tupperware tub. Had four in the house so far this spring - only one's evaded me. I agree, they're not the best looking things, but twatting them is a last resort in this house - I'd rather have them than the flies.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I've got pretty expert with a mid-sized tupperware tub. Had four in the house so far this spring - only one's evaded me. I agree, they're not the best looking things, but twatting them is a last resort in this house - I'd rather have them than the flies.
I hate killing any spiders..... but they can be a bugger to catch, and tend to try and defend themselves by rearing up at you... quite scary even for someone without an actual phobia
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bridie
I hate killing any spiders..... but they can be a bugger to catch, and tend to try and defend themselves by rearing up at you... quite scary even for someone without an actual phobia
I'm sitting here shuddering at the thought of a large huntsman rearing up! Thought only funnel webs did that.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 8:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Don't bother trying to catch them. Share your house with the buggers. They do a great job.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 8:37 am
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of

Never be scared of a spider again after being introduced to a Camel Back spider in Iraq....not smal..not slow...and certainly have a small dog syndrome attitude...go near and wallop they will drag ya down the street.... Roll on Darwin!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't see how camel spiders can be classed as a spider at that size......I don't like spiders at the best of times but those things, urgh. TJ, not small is possibly the greatest understatement on the planet!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:43 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Don't bother trying to catch them. Share your house with the buggers. They do a great job.
Agreed ,spiders are never killed in our house and infact if i think they are looking a little thin i will catch a moth for them to suck dry .
Old Oct 26th 2007, 10:05 am
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of

moths no good for Camels...small babies or Jack Russells!!...or your mate at a push!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

So it was you I heard about who's mates kept disappearing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.