British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Huntsman 0 Steve 1 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/huntsman-0-steve-1-a-585974/)

steve_uk Jan 21st 2009 9:34 am

Huntsman 0 Steve 1

2 Attachment(s)
Well guys, it had to happen - after 10 months in Melbourne, the wife's first encounter with a Huntsman. This little beauty had decided to make a home in our BBQ!

I managed to take him out quite quickly though and calm was restored to the house once more.:thumbup:

Thought I'd share this moment with you all :D

nik04 Jan 21st 2009 9:49 am

Re: Huntsman 0 Steve 1

That's a baby one wait til you find one the same size as a saucer :D, i took one out the other day it's body was 1.5 time the size of my thumb and all up was much larger than my hand. I ain't got girly hands either :rofl:

furkew Jan 21st 2009 7:27 pm

its when they hide behind the sun visor in the car and drop in your lap while driving that can cause problems :rofl:

I must remember to close my car windows at night !!! That would probably help as well. :o

steve`o Jan 21st 2009 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by steve_uk (Post 7195354)
Well guys, it had to happen - after 10 months in Melbourne, the wife's first encounter with a Huntsman. This little beauty had decided to make a home in our BBQ!

I managed to take him out quite quickly though and calm was restored to the house once more.:thumbup:

Thought I'd share this moment with you all :D

should have left him there mate
do you know how many roaches one huntsman can eat :ohmy:

emelems Jan 21st 2009 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by furkew (Post 7197369)
its when they hide behind the sun visor in the car and drop in your lap while driving that can cause problems

:eek:

I am never going to be able to pull down the sun visor again without thinking about this now! :sneaky:

Em x

carolinephillips Jan 21st 2009 8:33 pm

Huntsmen are the good guys- roaches are not- I hoovered up a 3 inch one yesterday and then had to empty the bag into the bin. (I am not fast enough to catch them and swat them.):p

pompeyblonde Jan 21st 2009 10:19 pm

Huntsmen are the good guys- roaches are not- I hoovered up a 3 inch one yesterday and then had to empty the bag into the bin. (I am not fast enough to catch them and swat them.)
I agree! Huntsman are our furry friends! roaches are cold heartless b*****ds who must die! (yes I am a vegetarian....):blink:

carolinephillips Jan 21st 2009 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde (Post 7198128)
I agree! Huntsman are our furry friends! roaches are cold heartless b*****ds who must die! (yes I am a vegetarian....):blink:

:rofl::rofl:

bigAPE Jan 21st 2009 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 7197569)
should have left him there mate
do you know how many roaches one huntsman can eat :ohmy:

x2

Not to mention all the Whitetails and Redbacks. I would be glad to have one in my backyard.

bridie Jan 21st 2009 11:56 pm

i was painting the laundry, had the door open to let some fresh air in and one was just about to walk through the door! OH relocated him. Apparently it was a baby, but it looked big enough to me....

I dont mind spiders living outside but I object to them being in the house.

nik04 Jan 22nd 2009 12:59 am

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde (Post 7198128)

Can't remember where i heard it or if it's bull, but i was told that if you squash a roach there is some chemical released from it that attracts more of em. Probably a load of shyte due to the natives i hang out with :rofl:

MillsyandtheTroop Jan 22nd 2009 1:28 am

Originally Posted by furkew (Post 7197369)
its when they hide behind the sun visor in the car and drop in your lap while driving that can cause problems :rofl:

I must remember to close my car windows at night !!! That would probably help as well. :o

mmm - we keep the car windows closed and one evening saw one waving at us from the dashboard. After a good chase (including him going for a nosey down one of the airvents) I finally got him out. Well, it was either that or sell the car. There was no way either me or the wife would have driven it again knowing that it could still be in there :eek:

geelong Jan 22nd 2009 1:47 am

I was putting something in the cubby house in our back garden and there was the biggest spider I've seen in my life looking back at me. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. The body was bigger than my hand! My husband came out when he heard me shouting a string of expletives.

When he went in to sort it out it had hidden.

One day I swear I will be hanging up the washing on the line and turn and see it knocking on the cubby window and waving at me.

I need a :beer: just thinking about it.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jan 22nd 2009 1:56 am

Originally Posted by geelong (Post 7198625)
The body was bigger than my hand!

Just its body was bigger than your hand !! :eek:

You either have very small hands or that's one hell of a big spider

squeezzii Jan 22nd 2009 4:21 am

Originally Posted by nik04 (Post 7198550)
Can't remember where i heard it or if it's bull, but i was told that if you squash a roach there is some chemical released from it that attracts more of em. Probably a load of shyte due to the natives i hang out with :rofl:

I've always understood that if you tread on a roach then you have good chance of walking roach eggs all through your home to hatch later on