Humour

Old Nov 20th 2003, 12:40 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Humour

Can someone explain to me the the differences in Aus/NZ vs UK humour?

It seems to be an issue for many - they say they don't like the aussie sense of humour.

I just can't see it - what are the differences?

Can anybody give some examples?
Old Nov 20th 2003, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

warwick road is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Humour

Originally posted by jandjuk

It seems to be an issue for many - they say they don't like the aussie sense of humour.

how long have you got?
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:02 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I found the sense of humour VERY similar, with both countries basing the majority of what the find funny, at somone elses expense
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:05 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

Originally posted by warwick road
how long have you got?
as long as you need.... don't tease.... it's a serious question on a serious subject... humour!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Jon

I don't think there are great differences because antipodean humour was largely borne out of 'mother country' humour.

For example, so called cockney rhyming slang is common in both eg dog and bone for phone; rubbedy (sp?) dub for pub, I'm just going down the J Arthur Rank my Scots pal in Bendigo used to say (the bank, nothing else!).

Lets face it a lot of the first (compulsory) migrants and the free settlers ever since came from the UK so they must have brought their sense of humour with them surely.

A lot of antipodean humour is of course directed towards the perceived jailer, oppressor etc. There were a lot of Irish convicts and settlers as well so they have injected their contribution.

Classic British comedy programs do as well 'down under' as in the UK - I can go back to the likes of Steptoe and Son, Hancock (he died in Melbourne) through to DelBoy etc. I tape things from UK Gold such as Porridge and Only Fools and Horses to my relies. If the humour was so different would they like it?

A part of the antipodean humour is also borne out of the isolation and therefore what is seen as a unique way of life.

Inevitably (and unfortunately I say), American humour has crept in as well with the advent of the 'neon god' in the corner. I have tried to watch things like Friends, Seinfeld, Frasier etc (once I might add) and cannot raise a single laugh. So perhaps it should be Oz/NZ/UK vs US humour that would be easier to see differences in. Having said that there are UK (well English) shows that are supposed to be funny that I can't raise a laugh at - go back to the bigoted Alf Garnett and things like the Royle Family (the Royal Family is funnier than that).

I could go on but that is my few thoughts to help kick the thread off.

OzTennis
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

when i was there last there was 2 huge problems...

availability and price!!

An example of humour (???) in the serious thread someone started about what they thought was a d***s problem in Perth. Can't type the word in full cos' my firewall blocks it.

OzTennis

Recognise it?
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:57 pm
Badge

I would agree with Pete and TennisOz.

Aussie humour and Brit humour are more closely related than you might think; even though it may not be borne out on this site. A lot of it is about being an underdog, understatement. Making an ordinary situation black. At its best, its the sort of humour you get in the military, fire service etc in the UK, yet in Australia, EVERYONE is on to it.

Yank humour now (I think) is completely different. It's kind of 'manufactured' and sterile. Even when a Yank takes the piss you can still see the smileys.

A lot of people say that there's no irony but half of American comerdy is some bloke saying something 'serious' with a raised eyebrow followed by some canned laughter. I've watched Friends etc and have not laughed at all.

"Hey guys I might be late for work" (pulls face) - canned laughter.

Badge

Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

warwick road is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OzTennis
when i was there last there was 2 huge problems...

availability and price!!

An example of humour (???) in the serious thread someone started about what they thought was a d***s problem in Perth. Can't type the word in full cos' my firewall blocks it.

OzTennis

Recognise it?

Jesus - chill out man, dont take life so seriously. Come and have a pint in my local in Manchester and i'll guarantee you will not stop laughing from the moment u arrive until you leave....in fact you may even come out with a sense of humour!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:31 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

so apart from warwick (who's given no reasons....??) everyone so far can't see much of a difference.

so why does everyone say you need to 'get the humour', or aussies can't laugh at themselves, or the aussies don't get my jokes...?

This really puzzles me - I've never noticed any discernable humour difference with any of the Brits/Aussies/Kiwis I've worked/played with. Or Americans for that matter - humour seems pretty universal to me.... people have different tastes in humour - but is it really a cultural thing?

I dunno - I think perhaps it must be - it seems logical for it to be - but I just can't my finger on any significant examples.

Fwiw, I love Friends, Seinfield, The Office, The Simpsons, Blackadder, Jonathan Ross, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, but Frasier, Will and Grace, Scrubs, Coupling, and that other program with Ulrika and Will self on it and those two idiots (though I like the Baby!) do little for me. So what does that mean? No idea
Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by warwick road
Jesus - chill out man, dont take life so seriously. Come and have a pint in my local in Manchester and i'll guarantee you will not stop laughing from the moment u arrive until you leave....in fact you may even come out with a sense of humour!

Totally Agree!!! If anyone shouldve been offended about that it shouldve been me as I spent all day trying to wean addicts off heroin by supervising methadone supplied using our tax money! But I still managed to see the funny side.....anyway best get back to dispensing the drugs for the addicts!!!!!!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:36 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

so apart from warwick (who's given no reasons....??) everyone so far can't see much of a difference.

so why does everyone say you need to 'get the humour', or aussies can't laugh at themselves, or the aussies don't get my jokes...?

This really puzzles me - I've never noticed any discernable humour difference with any of the Brits/Aussies/Kiwis I've worked/played with. Or Americans for that matter - humour seems pretty universal to me.... people have different tastes in humour - but is it really a cultural thing?

I dunno - I think perhaps it must be - it seems logical for it to be - but I just can't my finger on any significant examples.

Fwiw, I love Friends, Seinfield, The Office, The Simpsons, Blackadder, Jonathan Ross, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, but Frasier, Will and Grace, Scrubs, Coupling, and that other program with Ulrika and Will self on it and those two idiots (though I like the Baby!) do little for me. So what does that mean? No idea
If you want to see differing cultural humours, try somwhere other than a country which which has its origins in the UK. Both Australia, and the USA have an origin which is rooted in the the UK and Europe.

I feel american humour to be largely different to ours, not sure why....

Try comparing German humour with Australian, and you will see a far more pronounced difference. I personally just don't "get" German humour......(nothing offensive meant, just a PERSONAL observation.....)
Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by salonit
Totally Agree!!! If anyone shouldve been offended about that it shouldve been me as I spent all day trying to wean addicts off heroin by supervising methadone supplied using our tax money! But I still managed to see the funny side.....anyway best get back to dispensing the drugs for the addicts!!!!!!

u must be all confused ...reply to a previous thread about drugs problem ...it just happened to be brought up here so i replied here...saloni
Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

AussieinLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the problem people may have is that they take the mickey out of poms as an easy target. Jokes about bathing once a week etc. It's not specifically directed at poms, but they may percieve it to be. If you take a city like Perth or Brisbane (where most of you plan to go I notice) that has a significant British ex-pat population it's going to be worse. If, on the other hand you take a city with a massive community of Greeks (Melbourne, say) then it's directed mainly at them instead.

Apparently Australians aren't good at taking direct shots back. This pops up a lot in these threads. IMHO, this is understandable, it's their country after all.

As an Australian in England, I would say the same of the English and have to bite my tongue a bit too. They can take the mickey out of me but I have to be very careful what I say if I feel like retaliating.
(I think the only thing I've said in the UK that hasn't resulted in the usual "Well why don't you go back to your own country" was something along the lines of "The Queen seems like a good sort".)
Old Nov 20th 2003, 3:01 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

bathing once a week?? never heard that one... whats that all about then? is it in reference to something in particular...?
Old Nov 20th 2003, 3:04 pm
A Male Member

bathing once a week?? never heard that one... whats that all about then? is it in reference to something in particular...?
I would guess it stems from the 15th/16th century, when it was considered in England to be bad for your health if your bathed. What the Aussies saying this forget....is back then most of their relatives were British too....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.