Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Humidity-Queensland

Humidity-Queensland

Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all
Default Re: Humidity-Queensland

I find the best solution is to set aircon on de humidify, sucks all the excess moisture out of the air, but uses only half the amount of power consumption. On saying that, I haven't used my aircon for last 3 summers, haven't needed to. I have used it this winter tho...brrrr, it's the cheapest way of heating !! I sound like a real scourge hey
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
Do people find that the longer they have been here, the easier it is to adapt to the humidity in Queensland ?
Is it better on the coast because of the breeze ?
What's the verdict ?

Humidity air is dry as a bone, crystal clear and sunny, been down the beach early with OS visitors, I'm wearing sweats, they are swimming none of the dogs would swim too cold, but the poms did PSML.

Last humidity I remember here was around 2003, and that was a very humid summer but not all year, it was well hot too nothing at all like the pleasant summers weve had since.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

We went for a holiday on the Gold Coast in January.

When I'm away I love going for a walk to explore, usually an hour or two.

Within 10mins of leaving the apartment I was dripping so much it was embarrassing.

The longest walk I did was 15mins before rushing back to the apartment for a shower.

Too humid for me to ever contemplate living there.

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:04 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
We went for a holiday on the Gold Coast in January.
And that is actually a flaw in your statement Ian.

Holidaying will never show you what it is like to live there.

You would be surprised how different things are after just 1 year living in the place as is borne out by a few posters above.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of humidity, but a little off-topic, what would others recommend for the following; a new house currently with no air-con but having other sensible solar shading devices to windows, wall insulation and a white colourbond roof, situated in Brisbanes west.

1. No aircon.
2. Part aircon.
3. Fully ducted aircon.

I know last summer may have been deceptive, but the thought of spending $10k on a fully ducted system I use a handful of times a year doesn't appeal much.

Your recommendations please.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:32 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
On the subject of humidity, but a little off-topic, what would others recommend for the following; a new house currently with no air-con but having other sensible solar shading devices to windows, wall insulation and a white colourbond roof, situated in Brisbanes west.

1. No aircon.
2. Part aircon.
3. Fully ducted aircon.

I know last summer may have been deceptive, but the thought of spending $10k on a fully ducted system I use a handful of times a year doesn't appeal much.

Your recommendations please.
i would be more worried about the cold in winter!

But I would depending on your budget at least install aircon into the bedrooms as this is when the heat is most annoying, when your trying to sleep !

Otherwise if you can afford it go for a full ducted system.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:33 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Holidaying will never show you what it is like to live there.

You would be surprised how different things are after just 1 year living in the place as is borne out by a few posters above.
I agree, after being here just over a year, anything below 20 deg is cold to me !
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
There is no flaw; it's a statement to help the OP.

I personally don't think I would get used to it given that the only other time I sweat like that is when in the gym.

Can we all accept that an opinion is something personal. Certainly, when I express something I'm trying to be helpful and not antagonistic.

Life's too short.

For the record one of the soccer mums (Aussie) is up on Gold Coast now. I told her we went in Jan and she said she would never go in the Summer.

On the other hand, I know somebody that has a $2m holiday flat up there and very nice it is!!!!! They go all through the year.

Some people will get used to it: others, not.

I'm a not. It was too uncomfortable.

I can stand 40C days in Melbourne but there is no way I could take heat and humidity.

I think that after a week in a humid environment if you are not comfortable and don't think you are getting used to it then if you want to live there get used to flitting between your house , shopping centres and anything else with air-con.

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:18 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

There is no flaw; it's a statement to help the OP.

I personally don't think I would get used to it given that the only other time I sweat like that is when in the gym.

Can we all accept that an opinion is something personal. Certainly, when I express something I'm trying to be helpful and not antagonistic.

Life's too short.

For the record one of the soccer mums (Aussie) is up on Gold Coast now. I told her we went in Jan and she said she would never go in the Summer.

On the other hand, I know somebody that has a $2m holiday flat up there and very nice it is!!!!! They go all through the year.

Some people will get used to it: others, not.

I'm a not. It was too uncomfortable.

I can stand 40C days in Melbourne but there is no way I could take heat and humidity.

I think that after a week in a humid environment if you are not comfortable and don't think you are getting used to it then if you want to live there get used to flitting between your house , shopping centres and anything else with air-con.

Ian
My apologies.
You have taken my post as antagonistic but it was not my intention at all.

Posting on the internet turns out like that sometimes. In many ways it's a cold communication and the true emphasis can be lost by wording or the interpretation of the words written.

I try to allow for that when I read posts but clearly you do not.

The nature of forums is also such that if you give an opinion you should expect to be challenged in debate and to hear a different opinion.

On this particular subject I am thankful the pioneers and settlers of yesteryear did not share your opinion. After a week or two of landing at a new destination and experiencing some weather to which they were not accustomed to then they would have gone home again. The upshot is that the worlds population would now live on postage stamps scattered throughout the world.

Yes, I agree, some will not be able to adapt but that is so for all climes of the world. However the individual will not know until they actually live in a place for a prolongued time. The large number of posters on this site who find it different after just 1 year is testament to that.

Sorry, but there is no replacement to actually living in the place and to this degree the findings of short stay visitors are both inadequate and invalid.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:29 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody has an opinion based on their own reality therefore to them it's valid. What prospective migrants have to determine is how valid these opinions are

personally I don't get the big deal about humidity in Queensland

In all the years I've lived here we probably get a few occasions when the sun and humidity make it really hot and humid. I've even known the weather people state it as 80% + in terms of humidity in winter and yet it feels nothing like a humid day as the sun isn't out. In fact it feels cold

Some folk talk about Qld as being hot and humid as if we walk around with sweat patches all year round

Until I lived here, I thought it would be too humid but since living here and getting a feel for seasonal variances and how the climate can change year on year, I've realised over time that the humidity and heat is only during the summer for a few days dotted here and there and that's when we've used aircon at home.

I've used the heating in UK many more times than the aircon in Queensland. If I get things into perspective and understand trends and seasons and weather patterns the humidity is a blip in otherwise perfect all year round weather. It takes living here for a while to get that perspective I reckon
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:21 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We have humidity here ?

Seriously its not a problem. Sure if you are fresh off a plane and land in the middle of summer straight from a shitty grey UK winter of course your going to think its hot and humid for your couple of week holiday.

Live here a while and you are freezing in any temperature below 21 degrees and you wonder what all this humidity crap was about.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
I try to allow for that when I read posts but clearly you do not.
You can't help yourself can you? Yet another personal attack.

The art of communication is in what the other person hears not what you say - think about it.

Don't apologise if you don't mean it.

You really are full of yourself.

BTW, I'm not disagreeing with you about that people may acclimatise after a period. You seem to take offence from somebody suggesting this may not be the case.

I agree. I was only there a week and I hated it to the extent the next time I go to QLD will be on business only or in the Winter.

I'm very glad you are a happy Queenslander.

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Until I lived here, I thought it would be too humid but since living here and getting a feel for seasonal variances and how the climate can change year on year, I've realised over time that the humidity and heat is only during the summer for a few days dotted here and there and that's when we've used aircon at home.

I've used the heating in UK many more times than the aircon in Queensland. If I get things into perspective and understand trends and seasons and weather patterns the humidity is a blip in otherwise perfect all year round weather. It takes living here for a while to get that perspective I reckon
As an admittedly fairly new arrrival, can only agree with all of the above. Last winter had the aircon on reverse cycle a handful of times and likewise the summer just gone a handful of times. Hence my ambivalence towards splashing the cash for a ducted system. Spending upwards of $10k on a system I use to any effect a dozen times a year just makes no sense. Spending the equivalent on a central heating system in the UK would make absolute sense as I'd be using it every day for 7 months of the year (I lived north of Watford).
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived on the gold coast for 8/9yrs now and find the humidity uncomfortable in Dec, Jan and Feb. I found the dry heat in Perth no problem but I'm afraid my body does not like the humidity.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:28 am
Bix
da Bonehead

You can't help yourself can you? Yet another personal attack.

The art of communication is in what the other person hears not what you say - think about it.

Don't apologise if you don't mean it.

You really are full of yourself.

BTW, I'm not disagreeing with you about that people may acclimatise after a period. You seem to take offence from somebody suggesting this may not be the case.

I agree. I was only there a week and I hated it to the extent the next time I go to QLD will be on business only or in the Winter.

I'm very glad you are a happy Queenslander.

Ian
Serving no purpose winding each other up on this Ian so I'll leave you with the last say.

I think if we were in a pub having this discussion there wouldn't have been an issue but such is the internet.

Hatchet burried for me and I'm sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.