Reload this Page >

Human Resources and Personnel careers

Human Resources and Personnel careers

Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:15 am
Just Joined

wondersparkle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Human Resources and Personnel careers

Hi all,

I am an ex HR Manager looking to return to HR when I arrive in Perth next month following a career break during which I ran a non-HR business.

I have CIPD membership - passed all exams and assignments - only have a Management Report to complete for full membership which could be done by correspondence.

Is there anyone here that works in HR? Did CIPD membership count towards credits for Australian equiv qualifications? Has anyone any experience they can share of working in HR in Australia?

thanks!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:28 am
Just Joined

The Whitings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Human Resources and Personnel careers

Originally Posted by wondersparkle
Hi all,

I am an ex HR Manager looking to return to HR when I arrive in Perth next month following a career break during which I ran a non-HR business.

I have CIPD membership - passed all exams and assignments - only have a Management Report to complete for full membership which could be done by correspondence.

Is there anyone here that works in HR? Did CIPD membership count towards credits for Australian equiv qualifications? Has anyone any experience they can share of working in HR in Australia?

thanks!
Hi, don't work in Aus yet but I have accepted a job offer for a Senior HR Consultant in Brisbane, starting June this year. Saw the job on seek.com and applied online, did telephone interview and got offered the job.
Have not got CIPD but have a Masters degree in HR which was on my cv.
The Australian equivalent to CIPD is the AHRI and they may accept your CIPD and award the relevant membership. Cant remember the website, but google them and e-mail them to help you decide what to do.
I registered on seek.com and get sometimes 20+ new job postings every day for Brisbane area.
I have been on a kind of career break for 6 months and my new employers were not bothered about that at all. Good luck.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

I had 3.5 years HR Officer exp in UK, undergrad degree in HRM, post grad degree in HRM and full CIPD status. It took me about 6 months and a British boss (!) to get the HR Officer role I was after over here. A lot of places wouldn't give me a second look for not having any Aussie HR experience. I took a contract role in the meantime so my job seeking did slow down a bit whilst employed there. CIPD status doesn't count for a lot. AHRI do recognise it but you would still have to be a member of them for a couple of years, show the necessary CPD log and take some kind of employment law modules over here in order to get full membership. AHIR can email you the details if you contact them through the site. However, you don't really need it at all. Its not like in the UK where you really do need CIPD in order to practise HR.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Reading - now the Beautiful Central Coast!
MurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Whitings
Hi, don't work in Aus yet but I have accepted a job offer for a Senior HR Consultant in Brisbane, starting June this year. Saw the job on seek.com and applied online, did telephone interview and got offered the job.
The Australian equivalent to CIPD is the AHRI and they may accept your CIPD and award the relevant membership. Cant remember the website, but google them and e-mail them to help you decide what to do.
I registered on seek.com and get sometimes 20+ new job postings every day for Brisbane area.
I have been on a kind of career break for 6 months and my new employers were not bothered about that at all. Good luck.
Hello

Firstly - big congrats on getting a job offer and good luck with that when you start!

Can I just ask you a question - did you already have your visa approved prior to you starting to apply for jobs? I've looked at all the jobs that I get sent through on a daily basis but have not yet had visa approved - we have applied for 136MODL and have done everything as requested - PCC, Meds etc and just waiting to hear - hoping to hear in next few weeks and then go out at the end of July when the kids finish school.

Thanks

Tracy
Old Apr 16th 2007, 5:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Whitings
Congratulations and good luck in your new job (and life!). Thanks for your advice - I will look into the AHRI route. It seems such a shame to be so close to completing the qualification without seeing it through.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 5:34 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wondersparkle
Hi all,

thanks!
I am not in Human Remains but Rio Tinto have a lot of jobs advertised at the moment in that area. We had a pom working for us a while back as manager and she seemed to slot straight in.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sparkley23
I had 3.5 years HR Officer exp in UK, undergrad degree in HRM, post grad degree in HRM and full CIPD status. It took me about 6 months and a British boss (!) to get the HR Officer role I was after over here. A lot of places wouldn't give me a second look for not having any Aussie HR experience. I took a contract role in the meantime so my job seeking did slow down a bit whilst employed there. CIPD status doesn't count for a lot. AHRI do recognise it but you would still have to be a member of them for a couple of years, show the necessary CPD log and take some kind of employment law modules over here in order to get full membership. AHIR can email you the details if you contact them through the site. However, you don't really need it at all. Its not like in the UK where you really do need CIPD in order to practise HR.
So pleased that you got there in the end - you certainly have the qualifications! Employment Law and Employee Relations were the main areas that I dealt with here in the UK - so taking the AHRI modules would appeal to me. Thanks for your advice and I hope it continues to go well for you over there!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by worzel
I am not in Human Remains but Rio Tinto have a lot of jobs advertised at the moment in that area. We had a pom working for us a while back as manager and she seemed to slot straight in.
So much for being in "dead end job"! (sorry couldnt resist...)

Thanks for the advice - I will check them out!