Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Huge Electrical Storm

Huge Electrical Storm

Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Huge Electrical Storm

Having only been here for two mild summers, I still haven't seen a 'proper' storm. Not what I would call a storm anyway
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:27 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20 View Post
Having only been here for two mild summers, I still haven't seen a 'proper' storm. Not what I would call a storm anyway
First summer I was here there were spectacular storms almost every day for about three months; the last two years haven't even come close to that one.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
First summer I was here there were spectacular storms almost every day for about three months; the last two years haven't even come close to that one.
Yup. I remember seeing the pics of the hail stones down here a few months before we got over.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the storms are back...currently hitting northern NSW.

BOM is reporting tennis ball sized hail in Lismore!

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/warning.jsp?id=IDN28300
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
Looks like the storms are back...currently hitting northern NSW.

BOM is reporting tennis ball sized hail in Lismore!

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/warning.jsp?id=IDN28300
And in SEQ again http://www.weatherzone.com.au/warning.jsp?id=IDQ20038 just heard some thunder as I type
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:52 am
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

Thunder and lightning going for it again! Nowhere near as good as the last couple of nights though is it? Lots of rain though
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:58 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hold on to yer knickers folks - here it comes agiain!

T'other arf has just rang me from under a bridge on the Gateway Motorway somewhere - shes crapping it as bloomin' big hailstones are bouncing around her everywhere!!!!

Woman in Bottlo just now told me that just up the road in caboolture they are getting frozen golf balls falling out of the sky!

God, I love it here!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:08 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer View Post
Hold on to yer knickers folks - here it comes agiain!

T'other arf has just rang me from under a bridge on the Gateway Motorway somewhere - shes crapping it as bloomin' big hailstones are bouncing around her everywhere!!!!

Woman in Bottlo just now told me that just up the road in caboolture they are getting frozen golf balls falling out of the sky!

God, I love it here!
Issued at 5:03 PM Tuesday, 9 October 2007.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:05 PM, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Strathpine and Lake Samsonvale. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect Redcliffe, Beachmere and Bribie Island by 5:35 PM and Comboyuro Point, Cape Moreton and waters off Bribie Island by 6:05 PM.

Other severe thunderstorms were located near southern waters of Moreton Bay, Amity Point, Sunnybank Hills and Southport. They are forecast to affect Brisbane CBD, Cleveland and Wynnum by 5:35 PM and Brisbane Airport, Mud Island and southern Moreton Island by 6:05 PM.
Damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Grape sized hail has recently been reported from the Caboolture area.

Its coming your way Fluffy........it's not bits of cotton falling from the sky this time, either!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:22 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:05 PM, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Strathpine and Lake Samsonvale. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect Redcliffe, Beachmere and Bribie Island by 5:35 PM and Comboyuro Point, Cape Moreton and waters off Bribie Island by 6:05 PM.

Other severe thunderstorms were located near southern waters of Moreton Bay, Amity Point, Sunnybank Hills and Southport. They are forecast to affect Brisbane CBD, Cleveland and Wynnum by 5:35 PM and Brisbane Airport, Mud Island and southern Moreton Island by 6:05 PM.
Damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.

Its coming your way Fluffy........it's not bits of cotton falling from the sky this time, either!
Hi

Lismore (northern NSW) had a storm earlier this afternoon with hail the size of tennis balls

I reckon that one would not have been much fun.

Jim
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:23 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jimclevs View Post
Hi

Lismore (northern NSW) had a storm earlier this afternoon with hail the size of tennis balls

I reckon that one would not have been much fun.

Jim
............. but having just read an earlier post ............ you already knew that .......... doh

Jim
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:28 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Was working away here, on PC, having spent last hour, diggin a channel from flood this arvo.. and read your post, JEEZE your a lifesaver, I hadnt even looked outside since coming in, thanks...

Dogs away, car away !!! good stuff !!

Incidentally...

Australia, is the only country I have ever witnessed clouds going in 2 directions. Look up, and one set of clouds at high altitude going west, lower clouds going east...

Thankyou Karma on Way
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:30 am

It's here!!!!

Typing this from under the coffee table!! Ooh errr, where's me mum!?

Caroline - poor luv, I've made her stop at the butchers on the way home!!!

Check this out...I love the bit where it says, 'this storm is very dangerous'!! PMSL
Attached Thumbnails Huge Electrical Storm-idq65621.gif  

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; Oct 9th 2007 at 8:34 am.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:33 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Just driven though a fair hail storm on the M1 ... the sight of all those nice shiny expensive 4wds getting pelted ... the horror, the horror ... surely they are immune to the weather?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:33 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer View Post
It's here!!!!

Typing this from under the coffee table!! Ooh errr, where's me mum!?

Caroline - poor luv, I've made her stop at the butchers on the way home!!!
PMSL !

Was over Beachmere way most of the day, with Missus at fence place, and watched the ominous black clouds and cracks of lightening out west.. and thought its heading this way, didnt think, shit I LIVE out that way !!

Got back n bloody flooded outside the sheds lol

Thank god for THONGS !!

anyway, was lookin at the beach, and watching hundreds and hundreds of crabs skittling about on the sand, and a fella says, we in for a storm mate !! Crabs are goin silly on us ... lol

Must be instinctive like ants are before a storm !!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:49 am

The maddest thing is - 10 minutes later, the sky looks like this!!
Attached Thumbnails Huge Electrical Storm-snc11600.jpg   Huge Electrical Storm-snc11602.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.