Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Huddling round an electric fire in Perth

Huddling round an electric fire in Perth

Old Jun 15th 2005, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future
Default Huddling round an electric fire in Perth

OK.
I'm probably going to burst a few bubbles here but I have to say its bl**dy cold in Perth right now. Our rental has no heating and we huddle round a solitary electric heater at night. My husband has taken to wearing his dressing gown over his clothes and a woolly scarf at dinner. My daughter and I fight over the fluffy pink bedsocks. In the past few weeks I have had to use my saucepans to collect the drips from the leaky roof and have a family room that resembles a chinese laundry. The little dove that lives at the bottom of the garden sometimes has to come onto the patio to get shelter at night- poor thing.

but we still love it here... Honest

Ali

PS Donald and Matilda (our "friendly" local ducks) still pop by to see us every now and then. Have given up chasing them away. They've won through sheer persistence.
PPS We had lunch by the river the other day and were harrassed by a wattle bird. It was amazing. He hopped in the table and pinched crumbs. When we shooed him off he just squawked at us and came back for more. The birds here are really cheeky!!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice
Default Re: Huddling round an electric fire in Perth

Originally Posted by AliMay
OK.
I'm probably going to burst a few bubbles here but I have to say its bl**dy cold in Perth right now. Our rental has no heating and we huddle round a solitary electric heater at night. My husband has taken to wearing his dressing gown over his clothes and a woolly scarf at dinner. My daughter and I fight over the fluffy pink bedsocks. In the past few weeks I have had to use my saucepans to collect the drips from the leaky roof and have a family room that resembles a chinese laundry. The little dove that lives at the bottom of the garden sometimes has to come onto the patio to get shelter at night- poor thing.

Ali

PS Donald and Matilda (our "friendly" local ducks) still pop by to see us every now and then. Have given up chasing them away. They've won through sheer persistence.
PPS We had lunch by the river the other day and were harrassed by a wattle bird. It was amazing. He hopped in the table and pinched crumbs. When we shooed him off he just squawked at us and came back for more. The birds here are really cheeky!!

You should see the weather over here! Still waiting for summer to start. Never mind, apparently it is supposed to be nice for the weekend. Fingers crossed !!!

Theresa
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

OK.

Ali

I too am surprised how cold it seems to be at the moment. I remember being in the UK last summer and hearing people in Aussie say on this site that it was freezing, etc. I used to look up the temperatures on the internet and think - that the hell are they on about it is 15-16 degrees for christ sake - that isn't cold!!

However it does seem amazing how quickly you aclimatise. After just 5 months here we seem to have got used to the warm temps of summer and autumn. Whilst it is quite cold, I have to say that I don't mind it too much. Firstly because I know that in 2 months time it will be getting warmer again and then I have 9 months of great weather to look forward to and secondly because our house has a lovely big log burner in it - a godsend I can tell you!!! To all the people in the UK who think they will miss the cosy evenings by a roaring fire - trust me, you can still have that here!!!

Finally, I couldn't agree more about the Chinese laundry comment. Some friends of ours have a tumble dryer, when we first got here we scoffed and said that can't be of much use!! How little we knew!!!

All that said - I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now

Darkless
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:15 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by darkless
I I used to look up the temperatures on the internet and think - that the hell are they on about it is 15-16 degrees for christ sake - that isn't cold!!

Darkless

jesus, it's 15 degrees here today and it's meant to be the height of summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by bridiej
jesus, it's 15 degrees here today and it's meant to be the height of summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd rather be freezing in Perth during winter than freezing in UK during summer.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by hooperhome
I'd rather be freezing in Perth during winter than freezing in UK during summer.

me too!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bridiej

You'll be saying the same this time next year when you have gotten used to the daily 30 degree summer temps!!

Last edited by darkless; Jun 15th 2005 at 3:27 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by darkless
You'll be saying this the same this time next year when you have gotten used to the daily 30 degree summer temps!!
Hope so!!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hooperhome
I agree wholeheartedly.

You may think 15 degrees sounds OK but the houses here are built for warm weather. We have no carpets in our rental. The tiled floors radiate the chill. Its not like 15 degrees in the UK- I know that sounds illogical but its true. I remember arriving 2 years ago for a visit in July without jumpers or coats. The first morning my 4 year old was sobbing in the bathroom at the cold. We had to make a quick visit to the shops for woolies.

We are moving mid July to our own house which has a log fire and a gas heater. Oh the luxury...
Ali
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:27 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

I've read quite a few posts about people being cold. My husband has been in the building trade all his working life, qualified plumber, heating engineer, air conditioning engineer, brickie. I think I will get him to build us a house complete with insulation and reverse cycle air conditioning that works as heating in the winter. Then I can invite all my new ozzie friends to keep warm. That includes you lot heading for Perth too.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:28 pm

I agree wholeheartedly.

You may think 15 degrees sounds OK but the houses here are built for warm weather. We have no carpets in our rental. The tiled floors radiate the chill. Its not like 15 degrees in the UK- I know that sounds illogical but its true. I remember arriving 2 years ago for a visit in July without jumpers or coats. The first morning my 4 year old was sobbing in the bathroom at the cold. We had to make a quick visit to the shops for woolies.

We are moving mid July to our own house which has a log fire and a gas heater. Oh the luxury...
Ali

I would say my heart bleeds but I'm jealous as hell!!!!!

Seriously, cant be nice, if there's one thing I cant bear it's feeling cold....
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:31 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

I should think electric blankets will be a necessity
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
I've read quite a few posts about people being cold. My husband has been in the building trade all his working life, qualified plumber, heating engineer, air conditioning engineer, brickie. I think I will get him to build us a house complete with insulation and reverse cycle air conditioning that works as heating in the winter. Then I can invite all my new ozzie friends to keep warm. That includes you lot heading for Perth too.
I want your husband
Mine's a good little earner but crap around the house.
Ali
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
I should think electric blankets will be a necessity
Doesn't do anything for the cold nose though. I wake up in the early hours with icicles in my nostrils.
Ali
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree wholeheartedly.

Ali

No, I do sympathise with the cold if your house doesn't cater for it, actually lived in South Africa as a child, no central heating or double glazing etc.

However I don't actually hate the winters in UK, it's just that they go on for too long. We get 3 months of summer here whereas it is reverse in Oz.

Theresa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.