Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hubby Wants To Go Without Me!!!

Hubby Wants To Go Without Me!!!

Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:08 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future
Default Hubby Wants To Go Without Me!!!

Was just wondering if anyone's hubby had gone ahead of them to sort out somewhere to live, schools, jobs, transport etc and left the rest of the family to follow on a few weeks later?

We've been discussing this and it seems in theory a logical thing to do, but in practise, Im not so sure. For a start I would have to manage most of the luggage on my own and two kids on a very long flight. The appeal is already wearing off

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Jo
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:24 pm
Banned

djdutts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hubby Wants To Go Without Me!!!

Hi Jo!

This was indeed my suggestion. We're going over in about April/May time, but I wanted to go a few weeks earlier to get the ball rolling. Sort out banks, tax stuff and try to get a place to stay by the time Bird comes out. (Bird, wife, samething! That ought to get some replies!)

Anyway, after much debate it seems we'll be travelling together as she didn't want to do the long flight on her own and there will obviously be a baggage situation (although I was going to take a lot when I went).

Don't know if this helps or not, but I reckon it would be easier doing it together, especially if kids are involved. Believe me, I wanted to go before wifey, but it's a big move so it's going to be done together.

Yours lovingly

Chris
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:25 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Joanne
Was just wondering if anyone's hubby had gone ahead of them to sort out somewhere to live, schools, jobs, transport etc and left the rest of the family to follow on a few weeks later?

We've been discussing this and it seems in theory a logical thing to do, but in practise, Im not so sure. For a start I would have to manage most of the luggage on my own and two kids on a very long flight. The appeal is already wearing off

Cheers.
Jo
Hi Jo,
I don't know all of your circumstances but the first question I would ask is 'have you all validated?' If you haven't, then you must all validate together first.
It has been done by Go Bananas. They validated together, then Warren came back to the UK to settle up here whilst Jill and Imogen stayed on to sort all the Australia side out. Look for Banana Diaries to see how she got on.
Hope this is of some help. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Sarah
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:33 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by teach
Hi Jo,
I don't know all of your circumstances but the first question I would ask is 'have you all validated?' If you haven't, then you must all validate together first.
It has been done by Go Bananas. They validated together, then Warren came back to the UK to settle up here whilst Jill and Imogen stayed on to sort all the Australia side out. Look for Banana Diaries to see how she got on.
Sarah
That may have sorted it then, didnt realise we all had to go together to validate the visa. Hoping not to make two trips, only go over once as it costs too much for all four of us.

Thanks,
Jo
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo,
Sarah
I am now confused Sarah. Why do they all have to validate together? Surely main applicant could validate prior to others going out? Obviously if the wife is the main one, hubby can't but.....
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Hi Jo,
Sarah
I am pretty sure you dont al have to validate together but the main applicant has to validate 1st, so if your husband is the main applicant then he can go 1st without you.
Kala
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:36 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Cheers.
Jo
I'm stuck in England trying to sell our house, but Cas had to out before to start a job on a 457 visa. She's been gone since the 10th of January and it's been hell. I could do with help here sorting things out, and she could do with support there sorting things out. So from my own experience, I would suggest that, if at all possible, you go together. If nothing else, it will save you a fortune in phone bills

Carl
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Cheers.
Jo
Jo

You are not the only one. Same here, my husband is going down to Melbourne first to sort things out. My situation is slightly difference as we all fly out London at the same time then stopping over in Hong Kong, where me & our little 3 yrs old stay with my family in Hong Kong and husband goes down to Melbourne 3 weeks before us. Our intention is to cut cost. He can stay in hostel until he rents a house and all the shipped furniture arrives.

The accommodation cost is high for a family to stay in a hotel or furnished apartment for 2 weeks. (You need to arrive in Oz when your shipment arrives and allows up to 2 weeks for customs clearance & delivery... plus possible delay as we read other threads recently!) Anyway the accommodation cost was high for us when we did our validation trip in 2003... when our little one was only 1.5 yrs old.

Also, without the little one around, it will be easier for husband to go out and sort out the house, car, tax file... job interview & etc.

To save cost on international calls, try Post Office's own phone card, it costs 5p per minute to Oz (no connection & admin charge). The connection is excellent and sound quality is very good. It is much better than some other low-cost int'l call providers in the market.

Pat
Old Feb 15th 2005, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

Yeah thats my understanding too - main applicant can go ahead but rest must still validate within the time frame.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Leaver is on a distinguished road

I'll be doing exactly the same - going out before wife and kids.
Our thinking is that the first few weeks will be unsettling. Better for me to sort out most of the form filling, car buying and house renting - and at least that should make it easier for the rest of the family when they arrive. Obviously i want the time spent on my own to be as short as possible. But we've arrived en masse in countries before and the first few weeks are difficult.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:17 pm
Visa Granted-MT Eliza 06

gladiatorjw will become famous soon enough

The two times we have moved continents before I have always gone first and sorted house, car, schools etc. it works for us as when the wife and kids arrive, they can try and settle as quickly as possible etc. I guess it depends on the people involved etc, but we will be doing it this way again.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:33 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jo,
Sarah
you dont all need to validate visa's at the same time, but the MAIN applicant MUST validate first
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Cheers.
Jo
Jo,
suggested the same approach to my wife. She told me she would cut off my private parts if i mentioned it again. Woman can be so selfish at times.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:11 pm
Mount Eliza

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Jo,
suggested the same approach to my wife. She told me she would cut off my private parts if i mentioned it again. Woman can be so selfish at times.
Guess that's a no then for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone, now not sure what to do!!!!

It still makes sense in theory, and knowing my kids, they would hate looking for rented accommodation, cars etc, etc, etc, etc, basically all the things that need to be done asap upon arrival. I can hear it now "have you finished yet", "I need a wee", "Im hungry", "She hit me", "Im bored" etc, etc, etc, get the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you've got kids, you'll understand!!

Will find out for defo whether its possible or not and decide from there, will keep you all posted.

Cheers all.

Jo
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

yes, you have to enter the country with the main applicant to validate - you aren't allowed in on your own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.