Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Hubby Too Old

Is Hubby Too Old

Old Apr 4th 2004, 8:21 am
Just Joined

janbl is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Is Hubby Too Old

Too old for what? I am a registered nurse, thinking of applying for a sponsorship visa, with a view to permanent residence. I will be main applicant, but my husband is 45yrs young. Does this affect my application. It would be a shame to leave him behind
Old Apr 4th 2004, 8:28 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Is Hubby Too Old

Originally posted by janbl
Too old for what? I am a registered nurse, thinking of applying for a sponsorship visa, with a view to permanent residence. I will be main applicant, but my husband is 45yrs young. Does this affect my application. It would be a shame to leave him behind
LOL! Though I'm sure you'd be able to pick up a hunky bronzed lifeguard when you get there

But seriously, it is no problem. As long as the main applicant (ie you) is under 45, and remains so, until after you've got those forms into DIMIA, should be fine. Unless you need his points for any reason - for example education/job exp - but I doubt, as a nurse, that you'd need them. Even if you are in a position where you have to invest a bond in order to qualify for the required # of points, you can still invest 'joint' money.

Good luck!

Anya.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't have thought so.
It is usually the main applicants details that are the most important.
I also am a registered nurse and applied under the skilled independant category last year.
I was 40 when i applied and just had the necessary points of 115.
If I had left it until this year to apply with the recent announcement that the points requirement is going up to 120 I would have had to consider other options for applying for residency i.e sponsorship,bonds etc

Di
Old Apr 4th 2004, 8:40 am
Just Joined

janbl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Anya,
Thanks for the reply, I hope that is an all over bronze. Those little white bits really stick out dont you think.

Hi Di,
I was thinking of Perth. Have you any idea what the nursing is like there?
Old Apr 4th 2004, 9:25 am
jb
Just Joined

jb is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face

I am that hubby, Jan is joking (surely). Jan don't need no bronzed lifeguard. I have been to the gym to workout. Now have a one-pack building up to a six-pack. Also bought a bottle of tan from the chemist, as a Scotsman needed the family size bottle. Bought the Aussie hat in preparation, forgot it is only corks that dangle, now have 2 black eyes. Thats ok as will need sunglasses in oz.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by janbl
Hi Di,
I was thinking of Perth. Have you any idea what the nursing is like there?
Hi Jan

Perth is where we are going to settle eventually.
We have just returned from a validation trip and whilst I was there I was hoping to have a look around Joondalup Hospital but didn't get time.
Spoke to quite a few nurses whilst there who tell me that the nursing is not dissimilar to the nursing here in the UK.
Wages are slightly less though and some of the working conditions are different.

If you want any more info just let me know or do a search on these forums and you will be sure to find a wealth of information from a lot of very friendly helpful people.
Enjoy the forums,try not to get to addicted and good luck with your application

Diane