Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HSBC from UK, if anyone is interested.

HSBC from UK, if anyone is interested.

Old Nov 10th 2003, 9:16 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default HSBC from UK, if anyone is interested.

Just thought i would let you know that we received our HSBC oz cards, chequebooks etc today. It took 3 weeks from us opening the account in our local HSBC bank (we use first direct here).

Half an hour in the Orpington branch, and 3 weeks later we have an open aussie account. Can't be bad.

HSBC, in my opinion, has the best rates/fees and internet/phone banking services in oz at the moment, and are worth looking up. Only problem is the lack of branches. They have one in Bris, Melb Syd and Adel i beleive, but not much else. Still.....i hav'nt needed to go into a bank for years (apart from to set this one up), so it should'nt be an issue.

Pete.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 9:21 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pete, good to hear that it went smoothly. After our latest (in a long line of) fiascos with the Commonwealth Bank (how can a bank *lose* a large amount of a customers money for 4 days? ), we might even think about changing over. Still have a First Direct account in the UK as well, so it could be useful.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

scamp1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a HSBC account here in the UK and was wondering how useful it would be when I go to Oz. How linked are the HSBC in the UK with OZ. I was thinking about the ease of transferring money between accounts.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 9:46 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by scamp
I have a HSBC account here in the UK and was wondering how useful it would be when I go to Oz. How linked are the HSBC in the UK with OZ. I was thinking about the ease of transferring money between accounts.
They are'nt really linked....they are definate seperate entities, tied together by the HSBC international business centre.

As for transfering money......it costs us £12.50 per transfer.....but i am not sure how much you can transfer at this price.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 10:19 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
They are'nt really linked....they are definate seperate entities, tied together by the HSBC international business centre.

As for transfering money......it costs us £12.50 per transfer.....but i am not sure how much you can transfer at this price.
First Directs website quotes £10 for an international transfer to an HSBC account, regardless of amount.

Jane
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We opened our HSBC account via on line and with the help of a branch here to certify docs. No problems apaprt from the fact that in Aus they will not accept initials on accounts , it has to be your full names...

booboo
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:19 pm
WBB

cheers for the info guys, will look in to this.

Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HSBC from UK, if anyone is interested.

Originally posted by PeteY
Just thought i would let you know that we received our HSBC oz cards, chequebooks etc today. It took 3 weeks from us opening the account in our local HSBC bank (we use first direct here).

Half an hour in the Orpington branch, and 3 weeks later we have an open aussie account. Can't be bad.

HSBC, in my opinion, has the best rates/fees and internet/phone banking services in oz at the moment, and are worth looking up. Only problem is the lack of branches. They have one in Bris, Melb Syd and Adel i beleive, but not much else. Still.....i hav'nt needed to go into a bank for years (apart from to set this one up), so it should'nt be an issue.

Pete.
thanks for info.

is there a link between First Direct and hsbc?some of you are mentioning them.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Burnsy74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I'm just going through the paper work to do the same.

This might be a silly question but can a passport and a UK drivers license (with photo) both be used to gain the 100 point pass mark?

it says on the 100point check form:
"In regards to a Drivers License issued under a law of the commonwealth, a state or territory...."

This seems easier than trying to get a letter of reference of my bank.
Burnsy
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Enzo&Chloe is an unknown quantity at this point

A Uk driving license isn't issued in Australia. IIRC a UK driving license is worth 25 points
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, i'll make what i was saying clearer,

Is a UK driving license issued under a law of the commonwealth??

It doesn't say on the form that it has to be an Australian driving license.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

we used our driving license and passports as they have full names on and not just initials...

booboo
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

thanks booboo, thats made everything a whole lot easier.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Enzo&Chloe is an unknown quantity at this point

I presume it's refering to the Commonwealth of Australia, not the British commonwealth. Therefore it's not issued under the commonwealth they are refering too. (If that makes sense ??)
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:05 pm
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HSBC from UK, if anyone is interested.

Originally posted by sashadan
thanks for info.

is there a link between First Direct and hsbc?some of you are mentioning them.
HSBC own First Direct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.