Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HSBC- Robbin' Gets!!!!!

HSBC- Robbin' Gets!!!!!

Old Jun 10th 2004, 5:18 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry HSBC- Robbin' Gets!!!!!

Hi all, has anyone had this problem, I transferred $2000 dollars to my new HSBC account in oz, through First Direct, got all the account numbers and pins, and registered tonight, logged on and hey presto, the balance is $1990.00,
I've emailed them about the missin 10 bucks, as the difference between the two amounts is a crap interest rate.
Should be interesting to read the reply.
Any takers on this one.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 7:33 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC- Robbin' Gets!!!!!

Originally posted by fogmeister
Hi all, has anyone had this problem, I transferred $2000 dollars to my new HSBC account in oz, through First Direct, got all the account numbers and pins, and registered tonight, logged on and hey presto, the balance is $1990.00,
I've emailed them about the missin 10 bucks, as the difference between the two amounts is a crap interest rate.
Any takers on this one.
Either sending or receiving charges. Always worth sending summat over the top as a precaution if a specific sum is required!
Old Jun 10th 2004, 7:41 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesn't surprise me to be honest. I've got no experience of it myself, but isn't this sort of thing common?

Don't you always lose something in charges etc

Marko
Old Jun 10th 2004, 8:19 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you had the choice to send funds and either deduct charges, pay charges on top of the amount sent or you pay charges this end & recipient pays charges the other end.

Makes sense to clarify that you want the recipient account to get the full amount.

Annoying if no one explained the situation - complain vigourously and tell them to send the 'extra' A$10 to compensate you.

Good luck -don't take no for an answer - threaten ombudsman -it costs them loads to deal with such a complaint if it can't be resolved at bank level.

good luck
Old Jun 10th 2004, 8:25 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by arnie2oz
I thought you had the choice to send funds and either deduct charges, pay charges on top of the amount sent or you pay charges this end & recipient pays charges the other end.

That is how it works according to the FSA here in the UK. If you want the recipient to pay though, you need another recipient in the first place, this sounds to me like a first party transfer (so no third party to pay the charge!). Third party transfers allow you these three options, and are usually business transactions of some sort.

For transfers like this there are usually two options; pay out of funds or add the charge on top. Unfortunately because its easier, banks do sometimes just deduct the funds rather than gain extra details to get the charges. However, if it is a bank charge then you would have had to pay it either way and 'usually' in the small print somewhere on something you signed or submitted it would have said this (should have to done to be within regulations).
Thats not to say you aren't entitled to ask for a refund if you feel this wasnt explained to you - just telling it from a the point-of-view of someone who works for a bank!

Last edited by mlbonner; Jun 10th 2004 at 8:29 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 9:20 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Any takers on this one.

I think it's just the start from what I've read on the forum

I think you better keep the butter handy!!

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 11th 2004, 12:40 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally posted by arnie2oz

Makes sense to clarify that you want the recipient account to get the full amount.
Yep, that's what we did. I seem to remember ticking a box on a form, explained by the helpful manager at our local branch.
The charge is in the small print somewhere. HSBC is still the best account IMO. We've got 4 accounts now with them in Oz and 3 in the UK.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Any takers on this one.

this didnt happen to us. Since our money has been with them we have even had interest added.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 8:40 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by S Oldfield
this didnt happen to us. Since our money has been with them we have even had interest added.
Sounds like Firsdt Direct took the charges. Also sent the $2,000 from here and the whole lot is in my account earning good interest. Can't fault them myself.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 3:33 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by flying dutchman
Sounds like Firsdt Direct took the charges. Also sent the $2,000 from here and the whole lot is in my account earning good interest. Can't fault them myself.

Hi all thanks for the replies, I have had a reply from HSBC.COM.AU and they say
"When you recieve transfers from oversees banks, you will have a fee of $10.00AUD per transaction applied to your account"

EVENTHOUGH FIRST DIRECT IS OWNED BY F*%$@+G HSBC,
ROBBIN GETS!!!!!!!!

Nevermind