HSBC Nightmare

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

gazza321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HSBC Nightmare

Any help on trying to open an oz HSBC account whilst still in the Uk appreciated.

I phoned local HSBC and they said bring in passports, utility bill and last 3 months bank statements from my Lloyds TSB account.

When I got there they said they couldn't even fill out the forms until I had a letter of introduction from Lloyds TSB to HSBC Australia. He said that they may protest but to reiterate it was only an introduction.
So went to my Lloyds TSB dealt with the manager who said they couldn't give me a letter of introduction, but would only send it direct after an official request. As instructed by HSBC I told her it was not a letter of reference or statement or anything other than an introduction saying I had banked with them for x years.
After her checking with her head office they still wouldn't give me the letter of introduction and blamed it on september 11. She said that if I lost the letter then someone could use it to open an account -what a soddin laugh I've got every conceivable bit of documentation there is and I still can't open an account.

So I went back to the HSBC and they said that they would not be able to officially ask for a letter of introduction.
So stale mate. What more do I need to prove who I am?

I'm now trying the online method - but I'm now getting stupid comments about just going to an HSBC when I arrive in oz with our passports. I need an account set up so I can send our money over before we get there.

Anyway can't believe how difficult things can be - sorry for waffling.

Cheers

Gazza
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya gazza,

sounds about right, me old mate.

HSBC ( imo ) are nobs.

I went into my local branch and was told that they don't open accounts for oz.

When I told her that i have friends who have already done it...she made me an app with an 'advisor'.

Sod it, I thought, and i called a general number. ( If you look in your 'phone book, you'll find all your local branches have one number - give it a call ). when you get through, tell them you want to open an aussie account and ask them to give you the number for their international account call line).

When I got through to them, the lady was very helpful, gave me all the info I needed, a 15 min 'phone call...at the end she asked 'where abouts in oz are you going?' - I replied 'cairns' and she said:

" Oh, we don't have a branch there!!!! ".

Goodnight HSBC.

Anyhow, goodluck, and have a look on your search engine for aussie banks - theres more than one you know!
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:48 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: HSBC Nightmare

Originally posted by gazza321
Any help on trying to open an oz HSBC account whilst still in the Uk appreciated.

I phoned local HSBC and they said bring in passports, utility bill and last 3 months bank statements from my Lloyds TSB account.

When I got there they said they couldn't even fill out the forms until I had a letter of introduction from Lloyds TSB to HSBC Australia. He said that they may protest but to reiterate it was only an introduction.
So went to my Lloyds TSB dealt with the manager who said they couldn't give me a letter of introduction, but would only send it direct after an official request. As instructed by HSBC I told her it was not a letter of reference or statement or anything other than an introduction saying I had banked with them for x years.
After her checking with her head office they still wouldn't give me the letter of introduction and blamed it on september 11. She said that if I lost the letter then someone could use it to open an account -what a soddin laugh I've got every conceivable bit of documentation there is and I still can't open an account.

So I went back to the HSBC and they said that they would not be able to officially ask for a letter of introduction.

I'm now trying the online method - but I'm now getting stupid comments about just going to an HSBC when I arrive in oz with our passports. I need an account set up so I can send our money over before we get there.

Cheers

Gazza
Thats a bummer as we were hoping to get a HSBC one sorted shortly as well, although I am sure there are some good threads in the mists of time on here which might show you the way.

Have a search (as I will do later) and good luck.

Best wishes
Warren

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:51 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Cheers

Gazza
Well Lloyds TSB are doing one thing for one and another for you then. They did me a letter of introduction last July well after Sept 11th. It only said my name and that I had banked with them for the last 5 yrs and that I was a good customer. No mention of bank details etc..

We had no problems with opening the HSBC account. HAve you tried calling the number in London they send you all the forms then I just made the appointment at the local bank to get stuff verified (passport, Credit Card)

I would get back onto Lloyds. Speak to your account manager. Mine was in Coventry and I was in York and the first letter did go missing and they did me another.

I did not get charged either. Natwest charged my hubby

Jo
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This won't help with HSBC, but the Commonwealth Bank in London is quite helpful in setting up accounts in Australia or New Zealand for migrants.

They've just set up a website:
http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk

(although the website seems to be down as I write this)

Their phone number is:
020 7710 3990

They should be able to set up an account for you in Australia, and also handle the transfer of money from your UK account to Australia.

Jeremy

Cheers

Gazza
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

To reitterate what JAJ says:

I have since contacted Commonwealth bank ( amongst others ) and they were very quick and helpful.

Within 2 days, I had recieved their migrants info pack, with all the relevant details.

One point to be aware of tho' with them - the account they offer you has to have a minimum of $5000 in it at all times, otherwise you don't gain any interest upon your $.

Also, you have to activate your account upon your arrival and its located within Brisbane, Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, etc. Not the outposts like cairns, where we are headed.

Having said that, if you are headed in that direction, then you'll be 'right.

It's more difficult for us because of where we're going.

good luck.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:21 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Joh, I shall also be sortin HSBC account shortly, how much did you need to put into the account for the opening balance, any info apreciated
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We also had problems getting the letter of introduction from lloydstsb, but went the online route and didnt require it.
We filled in online forms, printed off ID check forms, took to local hsbc branch with ID, sent forms with cheque for $2000 (opening balance) and received our cards, chequebook etc 3 weeks later. No mention of going to activate in Oz, it was functioning way before we left.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how much HSBC will charge to tansfer money across to Oz once you have an account open with them in the UK? Likewise, and I know I should probably do a search - but on the off chance, does anyone have any recommendations for who is cheap and efficient for transferring cash over.

Cheers
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 11:52 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Tonyonthemove
Does anyone know how much HSBC will charge to tansfer money across to Oz once you have an account open with them in the UK? Likewise, and I know I should probably do a search - but on the off chance, does anyone have any recommendations for who is cheap and efficient for transferring cash over.

Cheers
HSBC charge a flat rate of £10 a transfer. The exchange rate they use is pretty good too.

Jane
Old Apr 24th 2004, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not suprised Commonwealth were very nice - have you seen there charges just for having a bank account?

As mentioned already there is indeed loads of information on the forum on how to open the HSBC online account painlessly. I've jotted down a few notes to help.......

Open the account online whilst in UK. The account will be opened based at their central branch in NSW and stay there even if you change your postal address to another state. So no debits tax if you have the chequebook option

Should take about 3-4 weeks for whole opening process

Online stuff takes about 15 mins to fill in – then you’re provided with a link to download forms.

ID (passport or birth certificates – one for each of us) need to be verified by local bank branch (for S21 Proof of Identity Form).
This can be done by any staff member at your local HSBC bank (syropes spoke to ‘HSBC here in the UK’ to confirm). They may be hesitant because the form says bank must have known me for 12 months. Having had a relationship with the bank is what counts, not the person signing. The staff member can sign it is because you are known to the bank and have a banking history. You're asking them to sign as an officer of the bank, not personally (Jolyn ).

Send snail mail to Oz (note need stamps even though might be freepost). Add covering letter explaining you're moving to Oz, ask for cards and chequebook to be sent to UK address and tell them you have lots of money to transfer to Oz.

The account will be opened based at their central branch in NSW and stay there even if you change your postal address to another state. So no debits tax if you have the chequebook option - unlike some other states. (Jolyn )

HSBC email account numbers a few days after receiving the ID.
Then send $2000 to Oz (be aware of charges – the full $2000 must arrive there)
Cards and chequebook should arrive a week later; PIN numbers a further week (Jolyn ).

The whole thing is detailed by here by Booboo
Old Apr 25th 2004, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

For those that don't arrange it in time, I went into HSBC in Brisbane on the day I arrived with just my passport, UK driving license and A$2000 dollars and opened an online account that day. It took 7 days for the cards and pin numbers to arrive at the branch, but we had brought some cash with us (plus UK credit cards) to tie us over. Then transferred my UK money with HIFX to the HSBC account with 3 days.
Hope this helps
Nick
Old Apr 25th 2004, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Also have a look at this website to compare fees etc.

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/money/banking

Nick
Old Apr 25th 2004, 1:48 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Gazza
We also tried to open an HSBC account in the UK before coming here. We told them how much we would be putting into the account and had all the relevant paper work.

The lady we saw said we would need to be introduced to the bank , but there were no guarantees that we would be excepted. She said it could take weeks. I was angry so just told her to forget it and left. I felt as if we weren't good enough, thats definitely the way she made us feel. Maybe it's just up to the individual cashier on the day?!

Old Apr 25th 2004, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Gazza

<Big 'ol snip>

Now don't tell 'em I sent you but...

Contact Les Jones on 020 7992 1360. He handles the international banking section at

HSBC Bank Plc
International Business Centre
Level 27
8 Canada Square
E14 5HQ

He was really helpful. The branches don't know that much and are constantly getting it wrong.

He got in touch with me after I sent an email to customer (dis)service which was a tad "full on".

I reckon it is worth it in the end. The other banks charge like wounded bulls which is a bit tough for us poms to get used to.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.