Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HSBC Internet Banking

HSBC Internet Banking

Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold
Default HSBC Internet Banking

I kept my UK HSBC account when I moved here. And I can do tranfers and stuff online. Any post for the account gets sent to my parents in the UK. They have recieved a letter about the new HSBC secure key. Does anyone have any experience of this? Will it work from Oz?
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Tonyc88 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HSBC Internet Banking

Hi, i'm in exactly the same boat as you. I kept my HSBC account and my post gets forwarded.

There wont be any issues when you get the secure key, it will work fine over here. Simple user / pass based systems are old and risky. It's just a way to make the account more secure and brings HSBC up to date with other banks.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Yes it does. I've had one for about 5 years. It's just a battery powered mini device (key ring size) which issues a string of unique numbers (probably an algorithm specific to you) Each time you log on and transfer it asked for this sequence. Just push the botton and type in the numbers it gives you when online banking asks you to
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Ok, cool. Thanks.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I get all my HSBC paperwork sent directly to me here in Australia. Presumably I'll be getting one of these devices too. The Commonwealth Bank here sent me one a few years ago.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
Yes it does. I've had one for about 5 years. It's just a battery powered mini device (key ring size) which issues a string of unique numbers (probably an algorithm specific to you) Each time you log on and transfer it asked for this sequence. Just push the botton and type in the numbers it gives you when online banking asks you to
...with the down side that you always have to have the secure key with you if you want to do any internet banking.

I had one of these inflicted on me a few years ago and I have found them to be very frustrating ever since. With one having broken and the replacemnt (once it eventually arrived) having run out of battery power......
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Icecube
...with the down side that you always have to have the secure key with you if you want to do any internet banking.

I had one of these inflicted on me a few years ago and I have found them to be very frustrating ever since. With one having broken and the replacemnt (once it eventually arrived) having run out of battery power......
That is true. This one will probably fail soon enough and as you say, must plan ahead of you intend to bank away from where you usually store the device. Commbank offer a phone text secure key feature if you don't want the device option, which I think offers a bit more freedom.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
That is true. This one will probably fail soon enough and as you say, must plan ahead of you intend to bank away from where you usually store the device. Commbank offer a phone text secure key feature if you don't want the device option, which I think offers a bit more freedom.
When I said that the Commonwealth sent me one of these a few years ago, I should have added that I have no idea where it is and had to ring them up to guide me through using it, which I only did once.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

FYI - HSBC Australia do the key fob. It's a pain in the a$$$ but definately secure.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I still have my UK HSBC account but still havent got round to changing my address so all this stuff will be going to my old flat.

I tried to log on to my online account the other day and its all changed, I don't how it works anymore

Hope no-one has cleaned my account out. Not that there's much in there anyway.