British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   HSBC Gold Card - Extended Warranty (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hsbc-gold-card-extended-warranty-573028/)

Swerv-o Nov 14th 2008 4:03 am

HSBC Gold Card - Extended Warranty

I have an HSBC Gold credit card, and one of the alleged benefits is that any purchases made on it qualify for an extended 12 month warranty above and beyond that of the manufacturer. I also had this deal on my old Barclaycard, which was fine - You had to register the device/machine/appliance and then a 3rd party insurer sent out a certificate for the additional cover period. Simple eh?

So I have just bought a new washing machine on the HSBC card and decided to give this extended warranty a try. I called up the help desk and asked how it worked, and apparently there is no way to register anything, and it is all conducted on the basis that you trust HSBC to honour the agreement. There is no documentation of any description that I can find, and the guy on the phone was VERY sketchy about the details.

Has anybody else tried to take advantage of this scheme? Is it (as I suspect) completely worthless credit card marketing, or is there some substance to it?

S

Swing-Your-Pants Nov 14th 2008 6:06 am

Re: HSBC Gold Card - Extended Warranty

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 6971857)
I have an HSBC Gold credit card, and one of the alleged benefits is that any purchases made on it qualify for an extended 12 month warranty above and beyond that of the manufacturer. I also had this deal on my old Barclaycard, which was fine - You had to register the device/machine/appliance and then a 3rd party insurer sent out a certificate for the additional cover period. Simple eh?

So I have just bought a new washing machine on the HSBC card and decided to give this extended warranty a try. I called up the help desk and asked how it worked, and apparently there is no way to register anything, and it is all conducted on the basis that you trust HSBC to honour the agreement. There is no documentation of any description that I can find, and the guy on the phone was VERY sketchy about the details.

Has anybody else tried to take advantage of this scheme? Is it (as I suspect) completely worthless credit card marketing, or is there some substance to it?

S

Easy answer. Look at the HSBC website. Like CBA their insurance is managed by Zurich. No need to register anything as your purchase record is the proof.

# Terms and conditions apply. Insurance policies are issued by Zurich Australian Insurance Limited ABN 13 000 296 640. HSBC does not issue these insurances and does not receive commission on these policies or guarantee any of the benefits under the cover. HSBC has entered into master policies for the benefit of cardholders. The cover is provided at no additional cost to the cardholder.

annqldau Nov 14th 2008 7:28 am

Re: HSBC Gold Card - Extended Warranty

I downloaded their free holiday insurance through Zurich when we went on holiday but had no need to use it, wasn't aware of the extended warrenty part but sounds good. But, then maybe too good to be true...;)

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 6971857)

S