British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   HSBC Australia & Online Security Device?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hsbc-australia-online-security-device-339753/)

merlotsmum Nov 27th 2005 2:49 pm

HSBC Australia & Online Security Device??

We still have our accounts over in Australia and today via Sweden (on postmark) we have received a "Online Security Device" to be used when we are online banking, has anyone with a HSBC account in Oz had one of these????????????

I'm confused :confused:

Nicstids Nov 27th 2005 3:25 pm

Re: HSBC Australia & Online Security Device??

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
We still have our accounts over in Australia and today via Sweden (on postmark) we have received a "Online Security Device" to be used when we are online banking, has anyone with a HSBC account in Oz had one of these????????????

Yes!! We're in the UK and I have just got mine!
Just follow the instructions you got with it - it's dead easy to set up. It's extra security for when you're doing your online banking. It generates a number when you log on and you have to be able to input that to proceed any further. I've put mine on my keyring :)

merlotsmum Nov 28th 2005 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Yes!! We're in the UK and I have just got mine!
Just follow the instructions you got with it - it's dead easy to set up. It's extra security for when you're doing your online banking. It generates a number when you log on and you have to be able to input that to proceed any further. I've put mine on my keyring :)

Cheers for taking the time to respond.

MMum :)

annqldau Nov 28th 2005 9:26 pm

We got those here (Brisbane) when we moved fromteh Commonwealth to HSBC. Easy to set up and use and not really any hassle when you're using them 'live'. just make sure if you have one each you use the right one when you're online

ABCDiamond Nov 28th 2005 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by merlotsmum

I've got mine too. :)

Lloyds Bank UK are also trialling the same thing.

NickyC Nov 28th 2005 11:50 pm

I've got one for a Westpac Business account. Had it for over a year - works well.

Pomster Nov 28th 2005 11:56 pm

I received mine last week and activated it. The only bit which confuses me is: if I accidentally press the grey button when it is in my bag, does it throw the sequence of numbers?

I presume each device is pre-programmed with (say) 200 numbers and if you lose a few you can only use it for 190 logons?

ljj Nov 29th 2005 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Pomster
I received mine last week and activated it. The only bit which confuses me is: if I accidentally press the grey button when it is in my bag, does it throw the sequence of numbers?

I presume each device is pre-programmed with (say) 200 numbers and if you lose a few you can only use it for 190 logons?

I am the same, I can't log on as I used it before it was activated and threw away may old PIN (how bright am I??) and have caught the grey button a few times by mistake. I have now had to send a written request for a new PIN to get into my account to activate the new thingy.

I've got 4 weeks wages sat in my bank that I can't touch that I was saving for xmas shopping!

Louise

A dogs life Nov 29th 2005 1:40 am

I got mine last week, and it rang a bell about a similar setup another bank I used to bank with had.

It was Bank of Ireland and they're online banking service called 365 Online . About 7 years ago, they introduced these devices too. I remember having terrible trouble with them, they kept on breaking or going wrong and having to be returned.

Anyway, I just checked the 365 Online demo login on their website now, and I see they don't use them anymore!!! Now thats a vote of confidence :p

Hopefully in the intervening 7 years the technology has progressed a bit.