British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   HSBC Account (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hsbc-account-316356/)

Plug Jul 27th 2005 12:24 pm

HSBC Account

Hello,

A much talked about subject, but, I was hoping someone could help me with opening an HSBC Bank account for use when I finally get to Brisbane. I'm currently in the UK, do I open an account here and get then to open one in Brisbane or do I apply directly to the HSBC Oz website?

I intend to use TRANZFERS to make the UK-OZ link between my Lloyds TSB account here to my new HSBC account (when opened) I assume this will work OK. I will still need to service some direct debits in the UK so will again use TRANZFERS to send monies back to my UK account.

Anyone see any problems with this set up?

bridiej Jul 27th 2005 12:33 pm

Re: HSBC Account

I think you can set one up over here.... got a feeling you have to ring a specific number and that you cant just go into your local branch but could be wrong...

Shouldnt be anything wrong with how your accounts are set up, I'll be doing a similar thing from a HSBC account in the UK via transfers into an ANZ account in Oz. :)

varsani Jul 27th 2005 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by bridiej
I think you can set one up over here.... got a feeling you have to ring a specific number and that you cant just go into your local branch but could be wrong...

Shouldnt be anything wrong with how your accounts are set up, I'll be doing a similar thing from a HSBC account in the UK via transfers into an ANZ account in Oz. :)

i have been looking into the same thing,rang hsbc and was told to go to my local branch,and they will set it all up for us.hope there right!!!

bridiej Jul 27th 2005 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by varsani
i have been looking into the same thing,rang hsbc and was told to go to my local branch,and they will set it all up for us.hope there right!!!

Well, I went into my local branch to ask and they said all I needed to do was let them know my new address once we've got to Oz and they will sort it.

marco121068 Jul 27th 2005 2:58 pm

Well, I went into my local branch to ask and they said all I needed to do was let them know my new address once we've got to Oz and they will sort it.

Do you know if they will give you a credit card before you get there having banked with them in the UK?

peppi Jul 27th 2005 3:23 pm

my husband has a HSBC here and has set one up over in Oz already,but it was a right rig-ma-rol to do it...He did go into the local branch who knew nowt about it but they did find out for him. It was a lot of form filling and different forms of ID and $2000 to open it but it is done and we can view it on-line already. They have sent him his cheque book etc too. But I doubt if they would let him have a credit card just yet....

bridiej Jul 27th 2005 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by marco121068
Do you know if they will give you a credit card before you get there having banked with them in the UK?

dont know, havent asked them that but cant see why i couldnt have a UK card that debits from the UK account.

marco121068 Jul 27th 2005 3:55 pm

dont know, havent asked them that but cant see why i couldnt have a UK card that debits from the UK account.

'cos they'll sting you with crappy exchange rates on your transactions.

I ask 'cos when I asked at ANZ they told me I'd be able to apply after living there for about 3 months. I'm just so used to putting everything on my credit card and settling it all once a month.

bridiej Jul 27th 2005 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by marco121068
'cos they'll sting you with crappy exchange rates on your transactions.

I ask 'cos when I asked at ANZ they told me I'd be able to apply after living there for about 3 months. I'm just so used to putting everything on my credit card and settling it all once a month.

that's true, hadnt thought of that....! :rolleyes:

I hope you keep an eye on moneysavingexpert for the lastest good deals on cards to switch around on!!! ;)

vikk Jul 27th 2005 7:51 pm

I was told I had to have 6 or 7 months of wages going in to a UK HSBC account then they would recommend me to HSBC Au. I have now had my 7 months of wages going in so I now need to go in tomorrow morning to fill out the forms which will be sent to Oz. (need to take driv licence , atm card, passport or driv licence to gain 100 points) After 6 weeks the account should be all ready & open for when I arrive. Not sure if it'll all go to plan yet but will keep you informed.

sonictigger Jul 27th 2005 7:59 pm

that's true, hadnt thought of that....! :rolleyes:

I hope you keep an eye on moneysavingexpert for the lastest good deals on cards to switch around on!!! ;)

Hi Bridiej,

Try a Nationwide CC. They don't charge extra for Foreign charges. I always use mine in the US and Europe....never in the Uk though....like to collect my airmiles!!
J

bridiej Jul 27th 2005 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by sonictigger
Hi Bridiej,

Try a Nationwide CC. They don't charge extra for Foreign charges. I always use mine in the US and Europe....never in the Uk though....like to collect my airmiles!!
J

Thanks J :)

Greg, Michele and Bella Jul 27th 2005 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Plug
Hello,

A much talked about subject, but, I was hoping someone could help me with opening an HSBC Bank account for use when I finally get to Brisbane. I'm currently in the UK, do I open an account here and get then to open one in Brisbane or do I apply directly to the HSBC Oz website?

I intend to use TRANZFERS to make the UK-OZ link between my Lloyds TSB account here to my new HSBC account (when opened) I assume this will work OK. I will still need to service some direct debits in the UK so will again use TRANZFERS to send monies back to my UK account.

Anyone see any problems with this set up?

I have been with First Direct (part of HSBC) for years and sent them an e-mail to ask what they offered, and here is the reply.

........HSBC do offer personal banking in Australia. We can provide a referral to HSBC International provided you:
- can give us at least six weeks notice before you require the account
- can provide us with the name of the town or area in which you require the account

You would need to supply us with the following details:
- the country in which you require the account
- the town or city in which you require the account
- the date you will be leaving the UK (if applicable)
- the length of time you will be staying (if applicable)
- the purpose of the account
- your occupation
- your daytime contact number
- your contact address

Should you be unable to provide us with this information or you choose to open an account with a bank other than HSBC, we will be able to send a Letter of Introduction to the bank of your choice. This is similar to a bank reference. To arrange a letter of introduction we need to know the name and address of the bank and the name of the bank manager. Our charge for this is GBP 10.50.

If you require any further information or would like to start the referral process, please call us on 08456 100 100 ext 50015.

Regards........

Hope it helps