Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HR block - any good?

HR block - any good?

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:54 pm
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about
Default HR block - any good?

As the title says really. positive/negative experiences on them. Need help lodging my first tax return as i don't have a clue. After that, might do the next one myself.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:15 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: HR block - any good?

Originally Posted by di90
As the title says really. positive/negative experiences on them. Need help lodging my first tax return as i don't have a clue. After that, might do the next one myself.
It depends on the person you get, and how much experience they have.

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

I popped in to ask whether, as new immigrants, we needed an agent as we knew nothing about the tax system in Aus. The delightless lady said something along the lines of 'it's not that difficult, just get on with it', turned on her heel and walked away!

Needless to say, we went elsewhere!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:28 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Not heard a good report about them
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

I've used them twice, different branches both utterly crap. One didn't have a clue about how to convert the interest I'd earnt overseas into Aus dollars, and the next time they used the wrong mileage rate for my car despite me telling them which one to use. I had to go back and get them to make an adjustment later. Both times I basically told them how to do their job. Needless to say I won't be going back to any branch of theirs this year.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Out of quite a few people - double figures, I've heard of one person who was happy. I'd avoid but have no personal experience.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:28 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

thanks for the heads up...won't be going to them then!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Good choice!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

we went, we saw, we conquered.

Our appointment took a grand total of 20 minutes, cost $107 and two weeks later, we have ourselves just over $3k in our bank account.

Could be worse.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Try http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...&mfp=&st=&cy=1

Download and do it yourself for free

I did mine last week only took 40 mins and got over $5000 no experience required and you are probably better qualified than most of the people who work in these Tax offices.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 1:37 am
Just Joined

maggi01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I done mine thro' the net with "e-tax". Took all of 20 mins, a couple of e-mails back and forth, and 7 days later had over a grand in bank account. Doesn't sound much, but I had only worked 8 weeks in a full time position!!!
Maggi
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:43 am
finally in melbourne

I guess i want to go to one, just to make sure that i claim everything i can. And since i don't have a clue what i'm entitled to claim - i wanted some help.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:00 am
ABCDiamond

I guess i want to go to one, just to make sure that i claim everything i can. And since i don't have a clue what i'm entitled to claim - i wanted some help.
I don't blame you. I used to do them for clients, but I am so out of touch, I am even considering using one myself to make sure I get it right this year, even though I will be doing some easy ones for friends

Not HR block though.....

Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:11 am
finally in melbourne

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I don't blame you. I used to do them for clients, but I am so out of touch, I am even considering using one myself to make sure I get it right this year, even though I will be doing some easy ones for friends

Not HR block though.....
any recommendations on who to use in north east melbourne suburbs?
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:33 am
ABCDiamond

any recommendations on who to use in north east melbourne suburbs?
Someone on here called ozhappy981, I think he/she is a tax person, seems pretty good, not sure if they can do it for you. Most things can be done by email these days, so location is too important.

The good ones are really busy at this time of year, I used to charge out at $300 to keep the numbers of individual clients down (in 1999)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.