Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hows this for a mad way of doing things

Hows this for a mad way of doing things

Old May 12th 2005, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hows this for a mad way of doing things

I lost my front number plate the other day whilst off-roading, so I rang a garage yesterday to knock me up a new one.

Thats not how its done here

I had to go to the Department of Transport, explain to them how I lost my previous number plate, then hand in my remaining number plate, and fill in a form (of course). I was then offered two options.

1. Pay $70 for them to make me two new number plates with my existing registration number, taking a day or two.

2. Pay $19 dollars for a random new set of number plates, which they could give me there and then.

I took option 2 obviously. But does it not seem a really weird way of doing things, I always thought of a cars rego to be stuck with it for life or until you made a concious decision to get it changed. Not here.

Oh the other great thing, they gave me a note which says I have permission to drive until midnight tonight with no registration plates, until I get the new ones fitted.Woooohooo, I'm off to find some police speed traps and fly past them at 100Kmh!!

Cheers,

JTL
Old May 12th 2005, 3:18 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hows this for a mad way of doing things

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I lost my front number plate the other day whilst off-roading, so I rang a garage yesterday to knock me up a new one.

I had to go to the Department of Transport, explain to them how I lost my previous number plate, then hand in my remaining number plate, and fill in a form (of course). I was then offered two options.

1. Pay $70 for them to make me two new number plates with my existing registration number, taking a day or two.

2. Pay $19 dollars for a random new set of number plates, which they could give me there and then.

I took option 2 obviously. But does it not seem a really weird way of doing things, I always thought of a cars rego to be stuck with it for life or until you made a concious decision to get it changed. Not here.

Oh the other great thing, they gave me a note which says I have permission to drive until midnight tonight with no registration plates, until I get the new ones fitted.Woooohooo, I'm off to find some police speed traps and fly past them at 100Kmh!!

Cheers,

JTL
everything about the car licencing system here confuses me.

We have a 4WD people carrier thing and want to do tours in it to local places which involves no off road driving at all. We both have a F class licence which means we can carry people for reward but not taxi, and are trying to get the vehicle fitted with TC plates, should all be very easy, BUT because the vehicle is 4WD and has the capability of goin off road (clearly they have never seen me trying to off road) we have to get a safari licence which involves having a HF radio so we can contact the Royal Flying Dr and all sorts of other safety equip. so to run some budget tours from the hostel to local places at a cost of about $20 per person is gonna cost us approx $8k to set up just because it is 4WD AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

And I still dont get how they allow 40 yr old cars to drive on the road just because the owner has paid rego every year and it never has to go over the pits. As much as having an MOT back in the UK was a pain in the butt at least there weren't as many danerous cars on the road.

And whilst I'm whinging 17yr olds with V8's???????????

Kala
Old May 12th 2005, 3:28 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Cheers,

JTL

Thats why you see so many old cars on the road in Qld with brand new rego numbers. A car can have an unlimited number of reg numbers throughout its life.
Old May 12th 2005, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Woooohooo, I'm off to find some police speed traps and fly past them at 100Kmh!!

Cheers,

JTL

Haha. Pity you don't live in WA. We are able to look up the WA Police website for camera locations in Perth each day.
Old May 12th 2005, 3:39 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I did wonder if you were aware of the system when I saw your thread about North Straddie, but I guess it would cost more than $20 to go back there and look for it . I knew you would have to pay but did not know how much - I was going to ask this arvo (because I am doing some work at QT).

Next time you will have MrsJTL crawling around in the muddy water feeling for the lost plate, no doubt.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old May 12th 2005, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Haha. Pity you don't live in WA. We are able to look up the WA Police website for camera locations in Perth each day.
The radio stations in Brisbane announce where the police cameras are every hour or so.

Just waiting for one to be announced near me It could the only time in my life I get to ovetake a ute, as it slows down for the speed camera

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 12th 2005, 6:00 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Hows this for a mad way of doing things

Just the one form, thats a novelty ! ! !

R
Old May 12th 2005, 6:11 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but that just shrieks Dukes of Hazzard or the Beverly Hillbillies or something at me .
Old May 12th 2005, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DagBoy
I did wonder if you were aware of the system when I saw your thread about North Straddie, but I guess it would cost more than $20 to go back there and look for it . I knew you would have to pay but did not know how much - I was going to ask this arvo (because I am doing some work at QT).

Next time you will have MrsJTL crawling around in the muddy water feeling for the lost plate, no doubt.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Next time I'll just take the darn number plates off before I go off road!

Originally Posted by Mrs Dagboy
Sorry, but that just shrieks Dukes of Hazzard or the Beverly Hillbillies or something at me .
Yeah but they never showed the unglamorous side, after Bo and Luke Duke had out-run Roscoe P Coltrane and Boss Hogg, they had to go down the Department of Transport the following day to get their License Plate replaced. They never showed that bit Unrealistic show if you ask me

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; May 12th 2005 at 7:52 am.
Old May 13th 2005, 5:51 am
Badge

Cheers,

JTL
In the UK I had a garage knock me up some plates. They came back and the lettering looked cheap and nasty - maybe I should have gone to DVLA.

The other side of the coin is that VICROADS issue you plates just like that- when you first register a vehicle - I had come from NSW - there are not days or weeks of waiting for plates to arrive...

Badge

Old May 13th 2005, 11:46 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You think it's weird here?

In Florida you are issued with a new reg number every three years, and a new set of plates come through the post!

I just cannot see any logic in that one however much I try: it's extra work, materials, data maintenance and on top af all that you are just starting to recognise your own car outside JC Penney when BLAM you've got a new number and have to start all over again.