Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Howards brave new Australia

Howards brave new Australia

Old Nov 29th 2006, 9:47 am
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Howards brave new Australia

"I've been told that contractors in Aus also have ways of reducing their tax commitments."

Please tell me about these ways!!!

Yours highly taxed contractor

MJJ

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
That's true for individuals especially if they avoid IR35. However contractors are not typical tax payers and I think the OECD works at a general overall level. I've been told that contractors in Aus also have ways of reducing their tax commitments.

Old Nov 29th 2006, 9:51 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

That has a lot to do with it, but then again look who won in the USA

Plus having different sides in state and federal politics means they can all point the finger at each other then when things go wrong, health is a prime example of this.

Originally Posted by spalen
There are many answers to this, but I believe the primary answer is Beazley is an unelectable buffoon.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 2:46 pm
G'Day Mate

AussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

In relation to Comm Bank, i received this via email:

JOURNALIST:

Prime Minister, do you agree with Sharan Burrow that it’s obscene for the Commonwealth Bank, which has made a $4 billion profit, to now be stripping away workers’ entitlements back to the minimum five conditions under your workplace relations legislation or is that fair game under the new IR laws?

PRIME MINISTER:

Well I am told that that allegation’s wrong. I’m told that workplace agreements of this nature have been in existence since 1997. I’m told that the AWA example used in the media this morning has a significant increase in the base rate of pay of 13 per cent, with the potential to earn up to 10 per cent in performance bonuses in 12 months. The AWA I’m told does buyout several award conditions but on…in circumstances that I’ve described – and this has occurred since AWAs were introduced by the Commonwealth Bank in 1997 – in other words Sharan Burrow is once again engaging in a beat up. There is one new element in the AWA that I’m aware of, and it makes changes to the hours of work provisions to increase the ability to provide customer needs – including opening branches on the weekends – and I’m sure there are customers of the Commonwealth Bank all around Australia who will applaud the greater flexibility that these things provide. What I’m saying in reply to the unions is that on the information available to me, this does not represent stripping back to minimum conditions. Indeed there is provision for increases in the base rate of pay and in that sense the buying out of conditions mirrors what has occurred since 1997. So I suggest that Sharan Burrow may be leading the Australian public a merry dance once again.

JOURNALIST:

What do you say to those workers though who may not want to work weekends because they see it as an intrusion on their family life?

PRIME MINISTER:

Well I’m also told…I thought you might ask that, that new and existing staff can choose to remain on the collective agreement, and the award, if they choose not to sign an AWA. We need flexibility and this will provide flexibility and freedom. They are good words and they’re good concepts and this is what the new industrial relations system provides and we have to worry about the customers and the customers are entitled to a greater range of services and this is what the bank is wanting to provide. Now somebody else is asking me a question, Mr Parry?
Old Nov 29th 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Spot on. I was working with loads of contractors when the IR35 rules were brought in. It's funny that they would come to me whinging about it until I commented "so the government is trying to make you pay the same amount of tax as the rest of us - oh they're real b*stards".
Maybe it's the fact that we don't get paid holidays, paid sick days, company pension, etc. etc. etc. not to mention working with no job security on a week to week contract and get the job out of the door when the staffies have gone home ?

Staffies, all jealous part time w*nkers without the b*llocks to go contract.

Incidentally, I'm still outside IR35, and still get 83% of my groos earnings so there !

The IR make the rules, we find ways round them, that's how it is, that's how it's always been.

Cadman

PS - I've got a staff job in Oz ! I'll let you know how that goes
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Country Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cadman
Maybe it's the fact that we don't get paid holidays, paid sick days, company pension, etc. etc. etc. not to mention working with no job security on a week to week contract and get the job out of the door when the staffies have gone home ?

Incidentally, I'm still outside IR35, and still get 83% of my groos earnings so there !

The IR make the rules, we find ways round them, that's how it is, that's how it's always been.

Cadman

Very true
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Cadman

Boy, have you got a chip on your shoulder.

Your first paragraph basically describes why you should get higher pay - not why you should pay lower taxes.

Thank you for illustrating my point about contractors thinking that have a natural right to pay less tax than other tax payers.

Good luck as a part time w*nker (your words)

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 29th 2006 at 6:49 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mjj
"I've been told that contractors in Aus also have ways of reducing their tax commitments."

Please tell me about these ways!!!

Yours highly taxed contractor

MJJ
I think you need to speak to an adviser about it. Mine basically described a pty ltd company paying into a family trust (via a corporate trustee).

Old Nov 29th 2006, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Your first paragraph basically describes why you should get higher pay - not why you should pay lower taxes.
Spot on!!! Since when was one bloke working on his own in another location on other people's equipment really running his own company. It was nice whilst it lasted but it was a pisstake. And yes, I liked contracting too.

I remember meeting blokes in the mid - late 90s who had their own IT companies - I was so impressed until I realised they were just contractors shuffling from one job to another....
Old Nov 29th 2006, 10:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Cadman

Well said. I am a natural born contractor & will never go staff.
Staffies are losers. Job security is an excuse to pay you less.
I also worked outside IR35 in the UK. It is easy to get around.

Good luck at GHD.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 10:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Spot on!!! Since when was one bloke working on his own in another location on other people's equipment really running his own company. It was nice whilst it lasted but it was a pisstake. And yes, I liked contracting too.

I remember meeting blokes in the mid - late 90s who had their own IT companies - I was so impressed until I realised they were just contractors shuffling from one job to another....
It might be over in the IT industry but the gravy train rolls on in engineering.
The thing is, in engineering it's based on reality not BS.
I'm riding on it until it runs out of steam, which will not be any time soon.
Choo-choo, all aboard!
Old Nov 29th 2006, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Staffies are losers. Job security is an excuse to pay you less.
Surely this is a question of priorities. Some people are willing to trade salary for job security, paid holidays, etc. and others (like yourself) are willing to trade job security, paid holidays, etc. for a better salary. Just because people don't make the same choice as you doesn't make them losers.

I don't look down on staffers or contractors just because they made a different choice to me. I don't mind that people work around the system (as long as it's legal) - good luck to them. I just think it's asinine to complain when the system closes a loophole.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 29th 2006 at 11:43 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 12:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

I just think it's asinine to complain when the system closes a loophole.
And I think it's great to find way & means to get around the closed loophole.
It's the only time accountants are worth the money you pay them.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And I think it's great to find way & means to get around the closed loophole.
It's the only time accountants are worth the money you pay them.
Well, I'd agree there, but it's still a personal choice.

I've talked to accountants and many get nervous around IT contractors, others seem to be quite happy. The current rules of the 80/20 are a bit confusing and noone seems to know exactly. I also know people who tell me they pay no tax, and others who have been told by accountants they must pay it. These are all IT contractors.

This thing of paying via a trustee does seem to be the way to go - I know a few people who have used asset protectors to do this.

I'd hate to receive a huge bill some years down the line so always play safe.
I know guys who have been avoiding the taxman for 6 years - and just shrug when I ask them what they will do if they ever get caught. I don't care whether the accountant has played a good trick, if it turns out to be wrong in an audit - well.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:27 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

I'm not a Union fan, I prefer League myself....
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Well, I'd agree there, but it's still a personal choice.

I've talked to accountants and many get nervous around IT contractors.
IT contractors are dodgy as.
Engineering contractors are honest & trustworthy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.