We have exchanged!!!!
5.56%
Sold and moved into rented
7.41%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

How is your house sale going??

Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:32 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How is your house sale going??

Its such a downwer at the moment as we haven't had any interest at all in our house.

Our agent has put it on the internet at Right Move and we have also put our property on a number of other web sites, at our expense, but still no viewings.

We are though, getting lots of hits on the web sites which something but its still not getting potential buyers thru the door

Its just another waiting game and not knowing when we will be off to Oz................................
Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:16 am
stevenpoole9

We put our house on the market in the middle of April and sold it a month later. We were then messed around not by our buyers but a person lower down in the chain, eventually our buyers decided they had had enough and put their house back on the market. They resold quickly and we began again. The new person in the chain then lost their buyer so had to resell. They sold again and we were all set to exchange, but last week we had a phone call to say the latest person in the chain had pulled out, even though they had all the searches done and they showed no problems. We have now decided to re advertise our house, so we are now back to square one.
We were under the impression that once you had exchanged contracts there was no going back, but reading the thread before, I see I was wrong.What is the legal situation regarding this, we were under the impression that we could get back any money lost due to a buyer backing out after exchange. Obviously we are ready to go, and would be booking 2500 GBP worth of flights and organising our moving people. Would we be able to get this money back as Emirates operate a no refund policy? Unless we could get the money back we would be out of pocket by a considerable amount. Please post if you can answer this querie for me. Cheers, Steve.

Last edited by stevenpoole9; Oct 9th 2005 at 9:26 am.

Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

shorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud of
Cool Re: How is your house sale going??

Fantastic News Paula,

Hope it all goes well. Does you buyer seem committed to buying? There are alot of sales falling through at the moment. My brother sold his house in July, within a week, but the silly cow has just pulled out, days before signing contracts.
No viewings on ours yet, but its only been 10 days!!! Our agent says it's slowed down again after last month. But with us not being in the same position as you yet we still have plenty of time.
I think after our meet last week I have come to realise that when we go to Oz will depend on when we sell the house, not when we get the visa.

Keep in touch,

Joanne & Stefan
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:35 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
House went on the market January 2005, and we moved to Aus on August 7th and finally had a offer on the 10th of August. We have just exchanged last Friday, which is a big relief. Couldnt believe we move to Aus and then we finally get an offer . Been on market nearly 8 months, and lots of viewings, but no interest, then i assume fate had a hand. To all that are still waiting, dont panic, or giveup, something will happen.

Now we can start looking at all the houses we want to buy.
Congrats on finally selling, can I be cheeky and ask did you still get a fair price considering it was on the market for so long? Ours has been on 5 months now and agent has told us dont expect the asking price now
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:40 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9
We put our house on the market in the middle of April and sold it a month later. We were then messed around not by our buyers but a person lower down in the chain, eventually our buyers decided they had had enough and put their house back on the market. They resold quickly and we began again. The new person in the chain then lost their buyer so had to resell. They sold again and we were all set to exchange, but last week we had a phone call to say the latest person in the chain had pulled out, even though they had all the searches done and they showed no problems. We have now decided to re advertise our house, so we are now back to square one.
We were under the impression that once you had exchanged contracts there was no going back, but reading the thread before, I see I was wrong.What is the legal situation regarding this, we were under the impression that we could get back any money lost due to a buyer backing out after exchange. Obviously we are ready to go, and would be booking 2500 GBP worth of flights and organising our moving people. Would we be able to get this money back as Emirates operate a no refund policy? Unless we could get the money back we would be out of pocket by a considerable amount. Please post if you can answer this querie for me. Cheers, Steve.
I *think* that the deposit your buyers put down is non-refundable if they pull out after you have exchanged contracts. So i guess is depends on what your deposit was - regardless of costs incurred, it's the amount of the deposit you need to worry about. did you actualy exchange contracts with them though?

what a difficult and awful situation for you. You have my deepest sympathies!

Michelle
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by michellemac
I *think* that the deposit your buyers put down is non-refundable if they pull out after you have exchanged contracts. So i guess is depends on what your deposit was - regardless of costs incurred, it's the amount of the deposit you need to worry about. did you actualy exchange contracts with them though?

what a difficult and awful situation for you. You have my deepest sympathies!

Michelle
This is what I thought too. As far as I was aware standard contracts state 10% of the sale price for exchange. If the buyers then pull out after exchange you get to keep the 10% plus you can get your costs (solicitors fees etc.) from them too. Once we're exchanged I'm booking shippers & flights as even if the buyer pulls out I can afford to go and if necessarily drop the price quite a lot without losing anything (in fact I think I would possibly gain money if the buyer pulled out after exchange).
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Seriously is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Had house on market (this time round) since beginning of year!
4 Estate Agents later.....and still not one single viewing!!!!!!

What do the estate agents say? Surely when they pitch for the business they tell you what an amazing list of ready-to-proceed buyers they have, how great they are at marketing etc.

What do they say when you say 'Where are the viewings then?'
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Seriously is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by spottydog
This is what I thought too. As far as I was aware standard contracts state 10% of the sale price for exchange. If the buyers then pull out after exchange you get to keep the 10% plus you can get your costs (solicitors fees etc.) from them too. Once we're exchanged I'm booking shippers & flights as even if the buyer pulls out I can afford to go and if necessarily drop the price quite a lot without losing anything (in fact I think I would possibly gain money if the buyer pulled out after exchange).
As you say, exchange of contracts is legally binding. The deposit, although commonly 10%, in this day and age of massive house prices, many people don't have 10% in cash hanging about, so a much smaller deposit is agreed. Often 5% or even less.

If contracts were exchanged you can sue the defaulting party for the full amount of the contract i.e. the price agreed for the property. They, of course, may not have it!