Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How are you paying for costings etc.?

How are you paying for costings etc.?

Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

ozzydreamer will become famous soon enoughozzydreamer will become famous soon enough
Default How are you paying for costings etc.?

Just wondered how you all plan to finance the move to Australia, or how you did. We are saving up, so aim to go in about 4 years, and will hopefully save between £15k and £20k by then to finance the move etc. We are more than likely going to rent out our house here, and then rent over there. It would be great if we could get a mortgage there after a year and have a property in the UK and Oz.
Oh isnt keen on selling up and buying over there, as he says we'd never be able to afford to move back here if we needed too, blah blah blah

Also took oh 5 years of saying 'Im never going to have a credit card or a loan - other than a mortgage', 5 years later we have one credit card for big buys, but gets paid off with no charge etc.

Just wondered how you are all financing the move? Savings, or loans, or through equity on home?
And if you are buying over there, do you think you would be able to get back on the property ladder over here?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How are you paying for costings etc.?

Originally Posted by ozzydreamer
Just wondered how you all plan to finance the move to Australia, or how you did. We are saving up, so aim to go in about 4 years, and will hopefully save between £15k and £20k by then to finance the move etc. We are more than likely going to rent out our house here, and then rent over there. It would be great if we could get a mortgage there after a year and have a property in the UK and Oz.
Oh isnt keen on selling up and buying over there, as he says we'd never be able to afford to move back here if we needed too, blah blah blah

Also took oh 5 years of saying 'Im never going to have a credit card or a loan - other than a mortgage', 5 years later we have one credit card for big buys, but gets paid off with no charge etc.

Just wondered how you are all financing the move? Savings, or loans, or through equity on home?
And if you are buying over there, do you think you would be able to get back on the property ladder over here?
Hi Ozzydreamer,

We are hoping to use the equity from our property if and when it sells, and when we get a definate YES !!

We would love to buy straight away in Oz as the prices are going up. That's what worries me more, not being able to get on the ladder over there !!

I am not too bothered about the property ladder in the UK, with the way the country and prices are going, it won't be long before something HAS to give, hopfully after I've sold my house LOL

Donna.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Yep, we're doingd the same, once we've got the golden ticket our's will be on the market, just got to work out how to pay for all the shipping and flight costs that have to be paid before the equity comes through on the house - oh what fun
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

ozzydreamer will become famous soon enoughozzydreamer will become famous soon enough

I agree about how something has got to give with property prices here - so I see it as if we invest in Australia, and decide to come back, we'd probably have the same amount of money in the oz mortgage as we would have here anyway.

May be a case of re-mortgaging to get some money back to help us move sooner, and then sell up after a year in Oz.

I hate these big decisions - oh is such a worryer and likes to play it safe, where as I see the bigger picture!
At the moment if we rented out our house we prob. wouldnt get enough to cover the mortgage - so hopefully in a couple of years we will be able to - thats iif the housing market here doesnt crash
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzydreamer
I agree about how something has got to give with property prices here - so I see it as if we invest in Australia, and decide to come back, we'd probably have the same amount of money in the oz mortgage as we would have here anyway.

May be a case of re-mortgaging to get some money back to help us move sooner, and then sell up after a year in Oz.

I hate these big decisions - oh is such a worryer and likes to play it safe, where as I see the bigger picture!
At the moment if we rented out our house we prob. wouldnt get enough to cover the mortgage - so hopefully in a couple of years we will be able to - thats iif the housing market here doesnt crash
Hi, thank god i only had a small mortgage so i have remortgaged. I have a nice car so i am selling that and I have been working two jobs so i could gather as much money as possible. I was going to sell my house but i am renting it out which covers the mortgage and leaves some extra for emergencies. I plan to give it a year then review my options. I am going to be as careful with money as possible when i get to Perth. I know it will cost a fortune when i get there but hope it will settle after a while. I am used to money being tight as being a single parent teaches you to be careful with money. Just have to teach my kids how to be careful now, but when we move I am going to involve them with the finances. They are going to know every dollar that comes in and every dollar that goes out. They are also going to get jobs after school and weekends. I know i sound like a hard mother but i will let them have Christmas day off
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Katmac has a spectacular aura aboutKatmac has a spectacular aura aboutKatmac has a spectacular aura about

Hi we are renovating a property at the moment.Once the via is through we will sell and go Yippee!!
Hopefully renting for a while whilst looking at our options.