Default How are you?

Can anyone tell me what the correct (?) response is to

"Hello, how are you?"

In France it's easy and the conversation goes along the lines:
Bonjour, ca va?
ca va et vous?
ca va ...
and then you get on with it. But here
if I answer back "fantastic (well we have just won the cup!), how are you? " it just doesn't seem to work.

Puzzled,
TC
Old Nov 24th 2003, 12:51 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How are you?

Originally posted by topcat

"Hello, how are you?"

Bonjour, ca va?
ca va et vous?
ca va ...
if I answer back "fantastic (well we have just won the cup!), how are you? " it just doesn't seem to work.

Puzzled,
TC
I usually answer 'Terrific, and getting better'. This tends to really piss people off. I said that to one girl who said 'What are you ON?' When I said 'endorphins!' she said 'I KNEW there were drugs involved!!'

People who answer 'How are you' with 'not bad' usually get a response from me along the lines of 'Well, that's just one step above chin-quivering misery! Cheer up!'
Old Nov 24th 2003, 12:53 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by topcat

"Hello, how are you?"

Bonjour, ca va?
ca va et vous?
ca va ...

Puzzled,
TC
It goes like this...

"How, ya goin"

"How, ya goin"

Note the lack of question marks...these are rote responses, not an invitation for conversation.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 1:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Try "good, thanks" - can't remember where I picked it up from, I think it was what my mates in Tassie always said.
Seems to go down alright anyway.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 1:45 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I go with "good, thanks" as standard response - try it out, or even "yeah, good thanks"
Old Nov 24th 2003, 1:51 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
I go with "good, thanks" as standard response - try it out, or even "yeah, good thanks"
A man of many words I see Jayr!
Old Nov 24th 2003, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Ditto

Good thanks seems to be the way to go... Feels a bit weird to begin with.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

topcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Ditto

Good thanks seems to be the way to go... Feels a bit weird to begin with.
Yeah, I feel I'm being rude if I don't return the question... even though I'm obviously not that interested in how the checkout person really is doing!

The same question is always asked in the states, but somehow it is much less irritating here.

TC
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:04 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
A man of many words I see Jayr!

I found that "I'm very well thank you, how are you today?" wasn't the expected response to the Coles checkout assistant pretty early on
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:07 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I found that "I'm very well thank you, how are you today?" wasn't the expected response to the Coles checkout assistant pretty early on
And a fast learner too .
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:11 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
And a fast learner too .

The one I still struggle with how to respond to is when the pizza delivery guy asks "So how's your evening so far?" - I suppose "yeah, good thanks" would still work and I never want to ask the question back " Good thanks, how's yours, delivered many pizzas??"
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:14 am
Rocket Scientist

The one I still struggle with how to respond to is when the pizza delivery guy asks "So how's your evening so far?" - I suppose "yeah, good thanks" would still work and I never want to ask the question back " Good thanks, how's yours, delivered many pizzas??"
Try it, I have, you usually get very startled looks & they dont quite know what to say .
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I'm stumped when I get asked that question at 8.30am in Coles on a Saturday morning. Usually "OK so far but it's still early" (POM alert - doom & gloom)

Di
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:18 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I'm stumped when I get asked that question at 8.30am in Coles on a Saturday morning. Usually "OK so far but it's still early" (POM alert - doom & gloom)

Di

On a similar vein to above you could try "Good thanks, how's yours? Checked many things out?"
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
It goes like this...

"How, ya goin"

"How, ya goin"

Note the lack of question marks...these are rote responses, not an invitation for conversation.
I find it is more like "ha ya gon".

There is no standard reply but you could say

"bonza mate ha bat yself"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.