Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how will i qualify for a visa

how will i qualify for a visa

Old Nov 19th 2002, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of
Default how will i qualify for a visa

having checked the skills assesment for the AIM, it would appear that unless you have had a senior management position you will not pass the skills assesment. Having been a middle manager and running my own business for two years i dont think this will be enough. Further am i right in saying that unless you have a degree you will not past the basic requirements.

so what are my options.

I have a step brother who expects to get PR confirmed in the next couple of months - would he be my best bet as a family sponsor.

i deal with a couple of companies in Australia, would it be easier for us to sponsor via them.

should i come out on a working visa and apply for perminent visa when i get out here.

all i know is my wife and i are desperate to give our kids a future.

we are hard working and honest, and would hope to restablish our Garden Ornament manufacturing business in Aus, thereby contributing to the economy.

The other alternative we are considering is for one of us to train in the uk as a nurse.

I am convinced the final alternative should NOT be considered. A friend of mine is Golf Course manager as well as an NVQ assessor. For £500 he would sign an NVQ level 3 in greenkeeping.

And finally, it is cold, grey and pissing down here in the UK - some things never change
Old Nov 19th 2002, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how will i qualify for a visa

Hi Nick,

I applied for skills assessment via AIM, was rejected 1st time as not enough time at the right level. Two years later reapplied, they allowed me 1 years grace for my Post Grad Diploma in Marketing + 4 years experience at Senior Mgt position, managing Managers, profit and loss accountability etc. Quite tough.

You might find there's a better visa option. Independant Executive or a Business one. Others will advise better.

Good Luck. any advice on AIM let me know
Mash..

Originally posted by nick333
having checked the skills assesment for the AIM, it would appear that unless you have had a senior management position you will not pass the skills assesment. Having been a middle manager and running my own business for two years i dont think this will be enough. Further am i right in saying that unless you have a degree you will not past the basic requirements.

so what are my options.

I have a step brother who expects to get PR confirmed in the next couple of months - would he be my best bet as a family sponsor.

i deal with a couple of companies in Australia, would it be easier for us to sponsor via them.

should i come out on a working visa and apply for perminent visa when i get out here.

we are hard working and honest, and would hope to restablish our Garden Ornament manufacturing business in Aus, thereby contributing to the economy.

The other alternative we are considering is for one of us to train in the uk as a nurse.

I am convinced the final alternative should NOT be considered. A friend of mine is Golf Course manager as well as an NVQ assessor. For £500 he would sign an NVQ level 3 in greenkeeping.

And finally, it is cold, grey and pissing down here in the UK - some things never change
Old Nov 19th 2002, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

I'm in a similar position. The best option I can see is to initially go for an Independent Executive Visa (a 4 year temporary visa to get a business up and running), before applying for permanent residence status. see below. This way, you don't have to go through the points system.

I've dug up some additional info. Let me know if you would like a copy e-mailing over.

Immigration to Australia for Entrepreneurs
If you wish to gain entry to start a business in Australia quickly and with a minimum level of investment, then you should seriously consider the independent executive category. If after eighteen months in Australia as an independent executive your business in Australia is successful and you meet the requirements, you can apply for permanent residence on the basis of the Established Business in Australia visa.
The Independent Executive Visa
You will need to meet the following requirements:

You will need to have extensive business or management experience.

You will need to be able to show that you will benefit Australia by starting a business there. This could by creating employment, bringing new technical skills to Australia, by investing funds into a new business in Australia, etc.
Documentary Requirements for the Independent Executive Category
You will need to provide the following documents to apply under this category:
1. Financial reports for any other businesses you may have established (these could be existing or previous business).

2. Evidence of the funds you are able to invest in Australia, such as bank statements, etc.

3. If you currently have a business that employs staff outside Australia, evidence of the number of staff you employ such as an accountant’s letter or documentation from the tax authorities.

4. Publicity material for your existing or previous business. This should also be provided even if you are not the owner of the business, but are applying on the basis of management experience.

5. A business plan, and cash-flow forecast outlining your future plans for the business in Australia
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
comparison of iba and eba.pdf (11.9 KB, 537 views)
Old Nov 19th 2002, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

kevmitch,

thanks for the info.

i would be grateful if you could let me know where you found the attached info to allow me to investigate further.

Best of luck with your plans

Originally posted by kevmitch
I'm in a similar position. The best option I can see is to initially go for an Independent Executive Visa (a 4 year temporary visa to get a business up and running), before applying for permanent residence status. see below. This way, you don't have to go through the points system.

I've dug up some additional info. Let me know if you would like a copy e-mailing over.

Immigration to Australia for Entrepreneurs
If you wish to gain entry to start a business in Australia quickly and with a minimum level of investment, then you should seriously consider the independent executive category. If after eighteen months in Australia as an independent executive your business in Australia is successful and you meet the requirements, you can apply for permanent residence on the basis of the Established Business in Australia visa.
The Independent Executive Visa
You will need to meet the following requirements:

You will need to have extensive business or management experience.

You will need to be able to show that you will benefit Australia by starting a business there. This could by creating employment, bringing new technical skills to Australia, by investing funds into a new business in Australia, etc.
Documentary Requirements for the Independent Executive Category
You will need to provide the following documents to apply under this category:
1. Financial reports for any other businesses you may have established (these could be existing or previous business).

2. Evidence of the funds you are able to invest in Australia, such as bank statements, etc.

3. If you currently have a business that employs staff outside Australia, evidence of the number of staff you employ such as an accountant’s letter or documentation from the tax authorities.

4. Publicity material for your existing or previous business. This should also be provided even if you are not the owner of the business, but are applying on the basis of management experience.

5. A business plan, and cash-flow forecast outlining your future plans for the business in Australia
Old Nov 19th 2002, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

The best way of finding relevant information is to go to the Google search engine and type in "Independent Business Visa, Australia". There are a whole host of sites, contacts and links you may want to follow. In particula you can download the appropriate information and help notes from the Australian Immigration people (I attach one of the forms).

Keep me up to date with anything you find, and I'll do likewise.

I'm actually going to Australia over Xmas, so if you come across anything that needs investigating 'on the ground' let me know.

Best wishes

Kevmitch
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
independent business visa.pdf (61.3 KB, 520 views)
Old Feb 18th 2004, 4:17 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by mashiraz
Hi Nick,

I applied for skills assessment via AIM, was rejected 1st time as not enough time at the right level. Two years later reapplied, they allowed me 1 years grace for my Post Grad Diploma in Marketing + 4 years experience at Senior Mgt position, managing Managers, profit and loss accountability etc. Quite tough.

You might find there's a better visa option. Independant Executive or a Business one. Others will advise better.

Good Luck. any advice on AIM let me know
Mash..
Hi Mash,

My wife is about ready to apply for her skills assesment through AIM.

How do they deal with the application. For example, will she be interviewed and her employers contacted or is it a case of AIM rigourously going over the documents that she sends in ?

kind regards

Rob
Old Feb 18th 2004, 4:24 pm
Go Banana's !!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nick333

Yes you are correct thinking the above.

I would suggest a business visa, although it may be a big pressure, to have your own business in OZ, it is said to be alot better in OZ (or so the TV told me)

Good luck

Jill

Old Feb 18th 2004, 4:34 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Go Banana's !!

Yes you are correct thinking the above.

I would suggest a business visa, although it may be a big pressure, to have your own business in OZ, it is said to be alot better in OZ (or so the TV told me)

Good luck

Jill
Hi Jill,

My wife is a human Resource Manager and from what we understand, we are able to submit a skills assesment. She is in a senior management position and has many managers/supervisors/staff reporting to her. The only person above her is the chairman/director. She has extensive work experience which covers at least 8 years. I take it that AIM will contact her employers when assesing her skills ?

kind regards

Rob
Old Feb 18th 2004, 4:38 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

so what are my options.

Hi Nick,

Have you gone through AIM to asses your skills ?

If so, what is the normal process. For example, do they want to interview you and/or your employers ?
How tough are they ?

Hope you can help.

Kind regards

Rob
Old Feb 18th 2004, 4:56 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Rob Morton-Jone
Hi Jill,

My wife is a human Resource Manager and from what we understand, we are able to submit a skills assesment. She is in a senior management position and has many managers/supervisors/staff reporting to her. The only person above her is the chairman/director. She has extensive work experience which covers at least 8 years. I take it that AIM will contact her employers when assesing her skills ?

kind regards

Rob
I honestly don't know. Warrens AIM assessment took us both 4 months to compile !!!! him mostly, with me helping with the 'wordy' bits.

But I will try and explain, there is a point to this.........

What he did for each place of work in the last 10 years was :

He did a very detailed discription of his job, who worked for him, what they did, who worked above him, what they did and organisational charts to show lines os authority and then some......everything you can think of and then some again...

He then sent that to his various bosses, for them to sign and for them to write a covering letter, that it was an accurate representation of the job he had done while he was with the company.

That had to be on headed note paper (of the company your boss now works for as it may be different) and a good idea is to ask for your previous bosses business card, 'cos some of his bosses had moved companies. Try and go for bosses that are now in the best jobs. One of hubbies bosses now is on the board of a well known University and that looked really good we thought !!!

This was then all sent back to us. DONT FORGET TO MAKE COPIES as you have to send a copy with your main application and AIM keep the original.

Warren had his back and passed within 2 1/2 weeks., so he must have done something right.

We don't know if they did contact his ex employers or whether their signed statements were enough.

Hope this helps

Jill

Old Feb 18th 2004, 5:26 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rob Morton-Jone
Hi Nick,

Have you gone through AIM to asses your skills ?

If so, what is the normal process. For example, do they want to interview you and/or your employers ?
How tough are they ?

Hope you can help.

Kind regards

Rob

hi rob
Id check the date at the top of the post !!!
Nick hasnt posted on here for over a year so dunno if hes still around?

sue
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
I honestly don't know. Warrens AIM assessment took us both 4 months to compile !!!! him mostly, with me helping with the 'wordy' bits.

But I will try and explain, there is a point to this.........

What he did for each place of work in the last 10 years was :

He did a very detailed discription of his job, who worked for him, what they did, who worked above him, what they did and organisational charts to show lines os authority and then some......everything you can think of and then some again...

He then sent that to his various bosses, for them to sign and for them to write a covering letter, that it was an accurate representation of the job he had done while he was with the company.

That had to be on headed note paper (of the company your boss now works for as it may be different) and a good idea is to ask for your previous bosses business card, 'cos some of his bosses had moved companies. Try and go for bosses that are now in the best jobs. One of hubbies bosses now is on the board of a well known University and that looked really good we thought !!!

This was then all sent back to us. DONT FORGET TO MAKE COPIES as you have to send a copy with your main application and AIM keep the original.

Warren had his back and passed within 2 1/2 weeks., so he must have done something right.

We don't know if they did contact his ex employers or whether their signed statements were enough.

Hope this helps

Jill
Jill
We also did ours through Aim. He had to send loads if organisation charts and job descriptions for himself and those reporting to him (this took ages) and they also wanted as you said signed references from all previous employers etc. We had to get one fromthe current employer also. Although' i dont know if they contacted any of them.