Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How will I cope without my family??

How will I cope without my family??

Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough
Default How will I cope without my family??

Hello everyone,
My name is Scott and im the youngest member of the Fitchett family, we are emigrating to Melbourne soon but I am very worried about missing my family.
I live with my Mum, Step-Dad and two Step-brothers, I have always had regular fortnightly contact with my father and his side of the family, I would be very greatful if anyone has had a similar experience and you could share any details of how you cope.
I am excited about going and the new life and seeing other things and other places I just know that I am going to miss them.
Thanks
Scott.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How will I cope without my family??

Hello Scott!
Sorry I can't help you, but wanted to move your post back to the top of the list.

Good luck anyway!

Rachel.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FITCHETT FAMILY
Hello everyone,
My name is Scott and im the youngest member of the Fitchett family, we are emigrating to Melbourne soon but I am very worried about missing my family.
I live with my Mum, Step-Dad and two Step-brothers, I have always had regular fortnightly contact with my father and his side of the family, I would be very greatful if anyone has had a similar experience and you could share any details of how you cope.
I am excited about going and the new life and seeing other things and other places I just know that I am going to miss them.
Thanks
Scott.
Hi matey, sorry to hear about something thats obviously worrying you, understandably so too. How old are you?, because it might be possible to talk to your dad and mum about how often they are going to pay for you to visit your UK family. Talk to them both, it would be a fair request, all you are asking is to see your family. Once you get over 12, some kids even fly back and forth for the long school holidays, which in australia are in dec/jan, the airline helps look after you if other family members are not travelling with you. Get chatting to your dad, tell him how you feel straight away, and your mum, can they get together and sort this out for you.

All the best and try not to worry too much.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for your thoughts,
scott
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

LC_GH is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: How will I cope without my family??

Hello everyone,
Thanks
Scott.
Hi Scott!

Just wanted to let you know that even though I am 27 I too am worried about how much I will miss my family as I am migrating with my lovely boyfriend 1 week from today!

I know that when I was away from them last time (for 11 months) I kept in regular contact with them by email & would often send them both online & actual photographs of all my adventures & things I had been doing. I also spoke to them once per week/fortnight (it is relatively cheap if you buy the phone cards I found).

This time they are planning on visiting me at Christmas and spending time with my & my boyfriend & his family so I am lookign forward to that and planning it already.

I think, as you rightly stated, it is important to look forward to the new opportunities that await you, the new adventures you can undertake and all those new friends to make too!

Hope it all goes well for you

Laura
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice

Just to let you know I was out in Australia at the end of last year without my kids but I bought a phonecard for $20 (about £9) and this gave me about 8 hours to talk on the phone and it lasted 3 months.

I did have to phone at tea-time in Aus as it was morning time over in the UK. The line was really clear.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andrewb
Just to let you know I was out in Australia at the end of last year without my kids but I bought a phonecard for $20 (about £9) and this gave me about 8 hours to talk on the phone and it lasted 3 months.

I did have to phone at tea-time in Aus as it was morning time over in the UK. The line was really clear.
Hi,
Thankyou again for your replys, it has helped and I am glad that it wont be expensive to ring family in the U.K so I will be able to ring alot and e.mail and sent photos and letters. We are also going to get a web-cam so I can see and speak to people lots.
Scott ( age 12 )
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 5:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thankyou again for your replys, it has helped and I am glad that it wont be expensive to ring family in the U.K so I will be able to ring alot and e.mail and sent photos and letters. We are also going to get a web-cam so I can see and speak to people lots.
Scott ( age 12 )
Hi Scott.

Even cheaper contact would be for both mum and dad to download Skype and run that alongside the webcam. That way you can speak to each other for FREE . You could also learn to set up your own Blog (on line diary) which the British side can access and you can post photos and your thoughts there so they are always up to date.

All the best.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 2:02 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Try to expect some homesickness. It is inevitable. For some (like me) it started as soon as I got off the plane (only came here with my wife, no other family) and it lasted about 3-4 months intensely. For others it kicks in after a honeymoon period. Try to take one day at a time when you arrive, and don't project forward too much.