Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How was it when the relatives visited?

Wikiposts

How was it when the relatives visited?

Old Sep 21st 2003, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

My parents are due out next month for a month , oh god my dad and i love each other but we clash bless he means well but so do i !!! We are going down south for a week , guess what hubby cant get time off work oh how convienent isnt it . Wait till his rellies come out , pay back time
Joanne xx
Old Sep 21st 2003, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Well we're not in oz yet but still live 600 miles from our parents, i always really look forward to seeing them then after 2 days (or sometimes 2 hours) realise that the novelty wears off very quickly and that the following 2 weeks will be hell.

So far my parents say they will not be coming to oz and my inlaws moan about not being able to afford it, but i do still expect that we will see them over there at some point, but not untill we find them somewhere to stay away from our place. I did expect the MIL to announce that she was coming over when the baby is due in february, but husband was warned that i would rather give birth without pain relief than have to come out of hospital to find the house full of the in laws.

Its hard because you feel selfish for not wanting them under your feet for weeks on end, i wonder if its as hard for them to put up with us

Lynn
Old Sep 21st 2003, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lynnj
Know what you mean about the inlaws! It must be harder when you're far away because they need to stay for longer. Perhaps you could put them off making any plans until you've had bubs, since you never know what each birth and baby will be like! Best wishes with the birth,
Larissa
(Who kept cancelling relatives visits after her baby - just couldn't face it!)
Old Sep 21st 2003, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Larissa

Thinking on naming the new one excuse, so far its been a fab excuse for sloping off to bed early when the last lot of visitors were here, just now its a great excuse for not doing too much sorting out at a time, there is only so much bending you can do in one session, when the movers arrive it will be a brill excuse for sitting on my butt and spervising, at the airport it will be a good excuse for not carrying my 40 kilos worth the list goes on and on, of course not forgetting the great excuse for spending money

Thanks for the good wishes and if anyone has a better idea for a name then please suggest away.

Lynn
Old Sep 21st 2003, 11:56 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

My mum, dad and younger sister arrive this Friday:scared:
but we are all really looking forward to it. They are only staying for two weeks (just in time to get over the jet lag!?) so will have to cram a lot in that time! Funny thing is, dad doesn't believe me when I tell him its cold and rainy, thinks he will be able to sunbathe!!! He thinks I'am winding him up when I tell him to pack slippers (for the tiled floors) and a jumper or 5!!!

Then we have my best friend arriving on Boxing day, my inlaws at Easter and my other sister two weeks later! Aswell as all those we have my brother in law staying with us for a year on a working holiday!!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

As we live in Florida (until November 10th anyway!) we are used to people treating our home like a hotel! They know we work and I always tell them before they come how much time we will be spending with them and what their expectations are, Ft Lauderdale is NOT Orlando. Some need 24 hours entertaining and some, usually those who have lived here before or been a couple of times already, have their own hire car and are happy to do their own thing during the day and meet back at the house for dinner or whatever. Still, it is a strain and I often feel guilty thinking I'm not making their holiday exciting enough but I have had one week off this year (Xmas in Boston) so they know I don't get much time off and have to decide if they still want to come over. Also money is a factor, going out for brekkie/lunch/dinner most days can get expensive, luckily hubby's job is flexible so he can babysit them most of the time but he is freelance so when he's not working he's not getting paid.

I always say - its nice to see them come but its nice to see them leave!!!

Wannabe Wallaby