Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How unhappy am i

How unhappy am i

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:13 pm
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough
Unhappy How unhappy am i

Well got all our stuff today Yay.But our TV seems to have a problem all down one side of the screen the picture is a different colour and a bit on the other side Sony say it is to do the magnetism being different in Australia to the UK.Now this man works for Sony but i have to say I'm a bit sceptical of this dint know if he is pulling my leg he says it needs de-magnetising .Has anyone else had this and if so i live in rockingham WA and where did you get yous fixed thanks.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:15 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How unhappy am i

Originally Posted by Homer
Well got all our stuff today Yay.But our TV seems to have a problem all down one side of the screen the picture is a different colour and a bit on the other side Sony say it is to do the magnetism being different in Australia to the UK.Now this man works for Sony but i have to say I'm a bit sceptical of this dint know if he is pulling my leg he says it needs be-magnetising .Has anyone else had this and if so i live in rockingham WA and where did you get yous fixed thanks.
I dont live in OZ or havent moved a tv over there,but yep it is true if yo have a different colour down one side it is magnetized, however this happened to me once, when I left a speaker to near to the TV.. My suggestion to you is

Leave the tv off for 24 hours, it may demagentize itself, mine did....
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Well got all our stuff today Yay.But our TV seems to have a problem all down one side of the screen the picture is a different colour and a bit on the other side Sony say it is to do the magnetism being different in Australia to the UK.Now this man works for Sony but i have to say I'm a bit sceptical of this dint know if he is pulling my leg he says it needs de-magnetising .Has anyone else had this and if so i live in rockingham WA and where did you get yous fixed thanks.
basically what has happened is that your TV has been stored next to a strong magnet (like a speaker) for a prolonged period of time. They probably packed your stereo next to it in the container. To clear the colour patches you need to get a strong magnet and pass it over the affected areas, it's not anything serious and you can do it yourself or take it to any electronics repair store
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:18 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Had that once after moving a TV. Colour was bluish green if I remember. Was only caused by dampness. Was okay after a couple of days in a constant temperature.

If not that have you got loudspeakers set up close to the tv ? They have strong magnets that can distort the picture so move them farther away.

If not that it's too technical for me
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:18 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Iveheard of a tele being magnetised but not beacuse 'magnetism is different in australia' ****** eedjut , did he offer to tarmac your drive too?.

Try standing the TV upside down? that'll cure the aussieness.

You could try leaving it overnight on , if that doesnt work leave it over night off . Failing that bang it. <not too hard>.

I did magnetise my mum & dads tv once by holding a magnet to it for too long and it went away after a few days.