Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to take small valuable items with you now??

How to take small valuable items with you now??

Old Aug 13th 2006, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to take small valuable items with you now??

This may be bit premature planning as we plan to leave in October but with the ban on hand luggage at present, if this continues, as it might, does anyone know how we can get valuables to Oz that I would normally have taken in my hand luggage, such as a boxful of jewellery etc (not mega diamonds or anything, but very valuable to me personally). I feel if I put it in luggage in the hold, I would never see it again as the 2 times I have had anything even moderately valuable put in my case in the hold, it has been stolen at theifrow (my husband has had the same happen).

Obvioulsy don't want to ship such things with our household goods for the same reason.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old Aug 13th 2006, 4:27 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to take small valuable items with you now??

Originally Posted by kitty4
This may be bit premature planning as we plan to leave in October but with the ban on hand luggage at present, if this continues, as it might, does anyone know how we can get valuables to Oz that I would normally have taken in my hand luggage, such as a boxful of jewellery etc (not mega diamonds or anything, but very valuable to me personally). I feel if I put it in luggage in the hold, I would never see it again as the 2 times I have had anything even moderately valuable put in my case in the hold, it has been stolen at theifrow (my husband has had the same happen).

Obvioulsy don't want to ship such things with our household goods for the same reason.

Any ideas?

Thanks
We too would like to leave end Oct beg of Nov and have wondered the same thing.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 5:32 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas?

Thanks
Same problem, Kitty - we leave end Nov and if it can't go in hand-baggage, I'm going to chav it up and wear the lot!

Nicky
Old Aug 13th 2006, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Same problem, Kitty - we leave end Nov and if it can't go in hand-baggage, I'm going to chav it up and wear the lot!

Nicky
Damn good idea

Will wear as much as I can.

Seriously tho, Not just the jewellery, but some other family stuff that can't be replaced/has no insurance value (or if it does, it makes no difference to me, as the original can't be replaced). What do we do?
Old Aug 13th 2006, 5:59 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Damn good idea

Will wear as much as I can.

Seriously tho, Not just the jewellery, but some other family stuff that can't be replaced/has no insurance value (or if it does, it makes no difference to me, as the original can't be replaced). What do we do?
Yep, I know what you mean. I've got some sentimental bits and pieces that I was going to take hand-baggage too. I'm now looking at sending a box of stuff out by air - I am nervous about something happening to it, but I don't know what else to do.

Nicky
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:10 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: How to take small valuable items with you now??

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Yep, I know what you mean. I've got some sentimental bits and pieces that I was going to take hand-baggage too. I'm now looking at sending a box of stuff out by air - I am nervous about something happening to it, but I don't know what else to do.

Nicky
We fly on Friday and are stuffed at the moment!

I need to take my laptop and two grands worth of camera equipment (as well as a wife and three kids too). I need this for work etc so what do I do now, trust the baggage handlers to leave it all alone!

May just have to risk it or chuck it in the container on Wednesday, hope that gets there OK and have a couple of months off ! ! !

R.

Last edited by Carruss; Aug 13th 2006 at 7:11 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:24 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Could you send the jewellery to yourself by courier (DHL)? Send it from the UK the day before you're due to fly out to your address in Oz.

The laptop I'd send airfreight with Excess Baggage.

Gina
Old Aug 13th 2006, 11:24 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It looks as if the only answer for some time is to join the swallowers and stuffers!

(Not recommended for things over camera-size though....<g>)
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Or catch the Eurostar to Paris and fly from there
Old Aug 14th 2006, 2:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hand luggage ban has been lifted:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4789169.stm

If it was still in place, a courier might be an alternative option (not 100% safe but maybe safer than checked luggage).
Old Aug 14th 2006, 2:06 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Hand luggage ban has been lifted:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4789169.stm

If it was still in place, a courier might be an alternative option (not 100% safe but maybe safer than checked luggage).
i heard on the news you can carry on in clear passie bags/
correct me if im wrong guys, but ring your airline to check
Old Aug 14th 2006, 8:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
i heard on the news you can carry on in clear passie bags/
correct me if im wrong guys, but ring your airline to check
Hot off the press
"From 04:30 on Tuesday, 15 August, passengers will be able to take one small cabin bag. Further details of the revised requirements for hand baggage restrictions will be published here shortly."
From the BAA website.
HERE
Old Aug 14th 2006, 8:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hope noone minds, but I think it might be useful to close this thread now that the rules are relaxing a bit, so that all the updates go on the longer one and noone misses anything

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3809694