Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How are the stars in Melbourne (or anywhere else for that matter)

How are the stars in Melbourne (or anywhere else for that matter)

Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:02 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile How are the stars in Melbourne (or anywhere else for that matter)

Well as many of you know we're intending to move to Melbourne next year, hopefully the Mornington Peninsula, just got to get made redundant first and then there's the small matter of selling the house......

ANYWAY I was just wondering what the view of the night sky is like there. Here in the suburbs of London is is terrible with all the orange street lights - would it be good and starry on the Peninsula on a clear night?

Thanks Guys

Buzzy

Starry starry nights..........tumtetum
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How are the stars in Melbourne (or anywhere else for that matter)

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Well as many of you know we're intending to move to Melbourne next year, hopefully the Mornington Peninsula, just got to get made redundant first and then there's the small matter of selling the house......

ANYWAY I was just wondering what the view of the night sky is like there. Here in the suburbs of London is is terrible with all the orange street lights - would it be good and starry on the Peninsula on a clear night?

Thanks Guys

Buzzy

It is never really that good in any city, London or other wise, we see sod all from Fitzroy in Melbourne where we live. Mornington would be better but not by much. It is still an outer(ish) suburb of Melbourne.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:21 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys

Buzzy

Hoping to head to bunbury/Mandurah but a beautiful, good, clear starry night down in Kent tonight!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2005, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys

Buzzy

Can't say what it's like in Melbourne but we were in Perth last xmas and our boys were fascinated by the night sky. one night we had been to a restaurant - can't remember where (der), but when we came out and walked across the car park they looked up - we all looked up and if I was up on stars and all that that is up there I would be able to tell you all the constellations but alas I can't - it was pretty though
Old Nov 16th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Speaking as a Mornington resident, last night was pretty good. We got to see a couple of planets and the large moon was fairly low on the horizon. Definitely too many stars to count. Have you tried a website that tells you what stars you can see and where. A couple of reasonable ones are:

http://www.skyviewcafe.com/skyview.php

http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/
Old Nov 18th 2005, 11:41 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys

Buzzy

The amount of light pollution in Melbourne makes it not much clearer than suburban England. I used to live out in East Gippsland and got a really good view of the night sky from there. The clearest place to view the night sky in oz is supposedly western NSW. When I was travelling through there the view seemed much the same as any other remote area in Australia but a professional star gazer would probably tell the difference.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 3:45 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Got to disagree with most.

I often comment on how amazing the stars are and I'm only 30 mins from the city.

We went to Barwon Heads a few weeks ago and in one evening we saw THREE shooting stars there were 24 of us all sat outside with our wine, G&T's and nibbles oohing! and aaahing! at the night sky.

Louise

that wasn't supposed to sound rude by the way!!
Old Nov 19th 2005, 4:32 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ljj
Got to disagree with most.

I often comment on Head. a few weeks ago and in one evening we saw THREE shooting stars there were 24 of us all sat outside with our wine, G&T's and nibbles oohing! and aaahing! at the night.

Louise

that wasn't supposed to sound rude by the way!!

Not rude at all Lou.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 6:29 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

When we were up in Daylesford earlier in the year the night sky was absolutely awesome. I've never seen so many stars..! We stood there for ages (probably looking like right lemons) just looking up at them!

D D
Old Nov 19th 2005, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

I'm in Mount Eliza. On a clear night you can clearly see the Milky Way - a rare sight in the UK. The sky can be so clear and beautiful it is a real wonder.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 8:58 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How are the stars in Melbourne (or anywhere else for that matter)

Originally Posted by wongstonn
I'm in Mount Eliza. On a clear night you can clearly see the Milky Way - a rare sight in the UK. The sky can be so clear and beautiful it is a real wonder.
THAT was the answer I was looking for. Thank you Wongstonn - looking forward to meeting up with you when we move out next year.

Cheers

Buzzy.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wongstonn

I have never seen the milky way in the UK, but on each visit to Perth have had the pleasure of seeing it, also saw alot of shooting stars over there.

Claire
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:30 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Opposite side to Melbourne, but best sky we've seen was at Chillagoe, inland from Cairns - no light pollution or anything, fantastic clouldless night with a full view of the milky way. The Eco lodge in Chillagoe has its' own observatory which is only a few $$ each to use their proper telescope and have the guy give you a guided tour of what you're looking at. Money well spent and a great way to fill in 90 mins in the outback. Can highly recommend it if anyone is ever over that way
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Thanks Guys

Buzzy

Oh wow! The stars are unreal.
The first time I really saw them was when we were camping nr Byron a week or so into our trip and I got caught short in the early hours.
I looked up and almost hit the deck in suprise. The sky was stuffed with the brightest stars and the detail was incredible. I've never been into astronomy but it blew me away. I had to wake Claire up to show her.
We could even see the satelites which appeared as small stars but they move across the sky. The view from the desert is even better with no light polution what so ever.
Jeez are you in for a treat.

"paint your pallet blue and grey"

Scotty.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:18 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I live 35 km north of Adelaide, on a 2half acre block , on a hot night , i float on my back in the pool looking up at the milky way in all its glory.
And quietly , i whisper BEAM ME UP SCOTTY, and up and to this point it has,nt Occured... ................ mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.