Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How soon do we need to start looking at dog vaccinations?

How soon do we need to start looking at dog vaccinations?

Old Jun 4th 2005, 10:55 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default How soon do we need to start looking at dog vaccinations?

I know that I need to have various tests and injections done for our two dogs 30 days before we leave but do we need to be doing stuff before this?

I have tried looking this up on old threads so I am not just being lazy

Any help will result in karma being given
Old Jun 4th 2005, 11:13 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How soon do we need to start looking at dog vaccinations?

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
I know that I need to have various tests and injections done for our two dogs 30 days before we leave but do we need to be doing stuff before this?

Hiya,

Phone your vet & enquire what is needed & when thats what i would do anyway, just to be sure

Donna.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

out of interest, have you had any quotes for taking your dogs? if so, can you say how much?

we have a golden retriever and its gonna cost £2,500!! Holy S**t :scared:
Old Jun 4th 2005, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by madsad
Hiya,

Phone your vet & enquire what is needed & when thats what i would do anyway, just to be sure

Donna.
I phoned my vet who told me download the information from AQIS. I asked if they needed to have a rabies jab and she said no but when I was looking all this up on old threads somebody vaguely mentioned about having to have a rabies jab and that has to be at least 6 months before you travel or they have to be in quarantine for 6 months :scared: This is why I have been panicking and trying to see if I can get some answers here. We are hoping to go to Australia in january in time for the new school year.

I have decided that I will get on to some pet travel people first thing on monday to a) get quotes and b) get advice.

But don't let that stop anyone out there from telling what I need to know
Old Jun 4th 2005, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Rooksie
out of interest, have you had any quotes for taking your dogs? if so, can you say how much?

we have a golden retriever and its gonna cost £2,500!! Holy S**t :scared:
We have two dogs, a border collie X and a black labrador X. My husband keeps saying it would be cheaper to have them put down but my son won't hear of it
Old Jun 4th 2005, 11:53 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

We have two dogs, a border collie X and a black labrador X. My husband keeps saying it would be cheaper to have them put down but my son won't hear of it

would be cheaper to send them business class mate!!

my husband pointed out last night that cost of flying the dog over would pay for the 4 of us to go on a reccie!!
Old Jun 4th 2005, 1:31 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

I phoned my vet who told me download the information from AQIS. I asked if they needed to have a rabies jab and she said no but when I was looking all this up on old threads somebody vaguely mentioned about having to have a rabies jab and that has to be at least 6 months before you travel or they have to be in quarantine for 6 months :scared: This is why I have been panicking and trying to see if I can get some answers here. We are hoping to go to Australia in january in time for the new school year.

I have decided that I will get on to some pet travel people first thing on monday to a) get quotes and b) get advice.

But don't let that stop anyone out there from telling what I need to know
Hiya,
Have you tried enquiring with another vet? i was going to suggest getting in touch with the breeder but with mongrels its a different story!
One person that comes to mind is Badri,he is in the process of shipping his pets over here(1 dog & 2 cats) maybe you could pm him & find out whats involved?
Also the forum tends to be a bit quieter at the weekend,if you can keep the thread going im sure someone will point you in the right direction?

Donna.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 1:49 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

No rabies jab needed, unless you come from a rabies prelavent area. You don't need leptosporosis either, it is important you make sure your vet does not give it to your dog or it could fail its blood tests.
Because the jabs are given every 12 months you could get them done now, I had my doggy done 4 months before he flew out. I gave him the kennel cough one as well just incase. So remember no lepto jab, get them to use sterile water instead, most vets use it to bulk out the other vaccines.
They should understand if you say the blood tests require no trace of lepto to be present and if a vaccine is given, your doggy would give a positive result and fail his bloods.

Hope that helps Jenny
Old Jun 4th 2005, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by jensteve
No rabies jab needed, unless you come from a rabies prelavent area. You don't need leptosporosis either, it is important you make sure your vet does not give it to your dog or it could fail its blood tests.
Because the jabs are given every 12 months you could get them done now, I had my doggy done 4 months before he flew out. I gave him the kennel cough one as well just incase. So remember no lepto jab, get them to use sterile water instead, most vets use it to bulk out the other vaccines.
They should understand if you say the blood tests require no trace of lepto to be present and if a vaccine is given, your doggy would give a positive result and fail his bloods.

Hope that helps Jenny
That's a well earned karma. Thanks a bunch

This is not favouritism, you are all a great help. Thanks to everyone
Old Jun 4th 2005, 2:39 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

have you applied for the import/export licences yet...? when are you going...? Are you DIYing the pets or going through a pet shippers,because if your going through a shippers they should be telling you all this stuff...
Old Jun 4th 2005, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by peppi
have you applied for the import/export licences yet...? when are you going...? Are you DIYing the pets or going through a pet shippers,because if your going through a shippers they should be telling you all this stuff...
We are hoping to go around January and hadn't contacted any pet shippers yet and then I saw someone mention about having to have rabies jab over 6 months before you leave and I panicked. I will be contacting shippers on Monday as soon as I get home from work.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 4:32 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

We are hoping to go around January and hadn't contacted any pet shippers yet and then I saw someone mention about having to have rabies jab over 6 months before you leave and I panicked. I will be contacting shippers on Monday as soon as I get home from work.
as far as i am aware there is no rabies jab,presumably because we have no rabies in the UK...we are going in September and our animals havent had one,we are doing it half and half,using a shipper purely to build the boxes and book the flights/airport vet,and he is advising us as well...