Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how soon did you tell your friends & family?

how soon did you tell your friends & family?

Old Jul 27th 2004, 5:44 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default how soon did you tell your friends & family?

im just about to enter the horrible situation of telling my parents and brothers that we are moving to aus in january..ive been putting it off and putting it off but cant really put it off much longer as we are looking to put the house on the market in the next few weeks !!
At the moment, my two kids are the only grandchildren, and my mum looks after them when im at work. My kids are their world pretty much and im dreading telling them we'll be taking them away from them as they usually see the kids evry day. My brother and his wife are due to have their first baby in around 2 weeks, so we were going to drop the bombshell once the new baby is here, hopefully it might help soften the blow a bit !!!!
We are so looking forward to our new life in Aus but the thought of breaking the news and then getting the lectures on "are we doing the right thing??" etc etc is wasting this exciting time...
Im sure most people have went through this, and know what its like but it still doesnt make it any easier... One the baby is here, will let you know when im telling them !!!!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel sorry for you.But luckily i'm not in that position.My family are really urging us to go and make a new life for ourselves.We are all very close and i know i would miss them all and vice versa.But they know how much i want this and therefore all selfishness is left out of the equation.
I wish you the very best of luck.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how soon did you tell your friends & family?

We told everyone as soon as we decided to try to emigrate! wasn't easy although a lot of family and friends said 'yeah right'! My mum thought that we would fail the meds and now that we have our visas it has started to hit her quite badly but never once has she said 'i don't want you to go', she has been sooooo supportive and i will be eternally grateful. I bought her a computer for xmas last year, then for Mothers Day a web cam, over the months she has become quite an expert so at least we can keep in touch that way! Also for this christmas my hubby has told her we will get her a ticket to come and visit us in March, that has given her something to look forward to!
Hope that it all goes well for you, keep positive and remember why you want to live in Oz, don't let anyone put you down or put you off!
Best of luck
Rach x
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Only had my dad to tell (as my mum died a few years ago ! ) He was great and said he wish he had done it years ago! Not only that my twin sister and her family are also emigrating aswell so he will be saying goodbye to all the family he has !
Its the same situation for my husband aswell as he only has his dad in UK as the rest of his family are already in Oz.
There will certainley be a few tears when we go, but they are all behind us and looking forward to long holidays with us !!!!

Nicky, John & Georgia

Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:20 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everyone for replying...its nice to know your not the only one feeling this way.. i will keep you updated !!

lucyb..thanks for the pm...sent you one right back, hope you got it ok !!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hi,

I told my lot last June when we were at the start off the `journey`. they didnt take it too well.
It has now got to the point where it is hardly mentioned, as all they do is cry.

I know they are hurting. It hurts me too, but by being soooo negative is having a knock on effect with my 2 boys. They are now saying Nan, `doesnt want us to go. We dont think we should leave her.`

Hopefully we fly in about 4 weeks
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Fiona&malc
im just about to enter the horrible situation of telling my parents and brothers that we are moving to aus in january..ive been putting it off and putting it off but cant really put it off much longer as we are looking to put the house on the market in the next few weeks !!
At the moment, my two kids are the only grandchildren, and my mum looks after them when im at work. My kids are their world pretty much and im dreading telling them we'll be taking them away from them as they usually see the kids evry day. My brother and his wife are due to have their first baby in around 2 weeks, so we were going to drop the bombshell once the new baby is here, hopefully it might help soften the blow a bit !!!!
We are so looking forward to our new life in Aus but the thought of breaking the news and then getting the lectures on "are we doing the right thing??" etc etc is wasting this exciting time...
Im sure most people have went through this, and know what its like but it still doesnt make it any easier... One the baby is here, will let you know when im telling them !!!!
Ah Fiona, been there and can sympathise. My mother in law has the children every day for me, shes takes them to school, collects them, her whole world revolves around her three grand sons, when I first told her she was shocked and upset, she tried not to say anything but little comments would creep in (and not subtle either eg "your buggering off to Oz and taking my sons with you - I bet I won't see them again!" - thats just one example!) I told her 6 mths ago when my hubby and I had formulated the plan and got organised. We explained our reasons, wanting to spend more time as a family, enjoying the out doors more etc . We explained that we have email, telephone and will send lots of camcording, the children will have constant reminders of their Nanna around them. We increased the distance between us (only seeing her once a week) and got her involved in choosing an area, looking at rental properties etc She now understands why we are going and the benefits to us as a family. Plus we have return tickets so we'll be back after 9 months to sort out the house etc. Its tough and emotional but involving them early makes them feel they're still part of your life and future. Good luck Annie
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:58 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

We plan to phone them from the airport.............all right, we plan to phone them from ADELAIDE airport!!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:05 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

ah ha! If only it were that easy, Steve!!!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:13 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

We told ours right at the start. There were some tears and the ma-in-law didn't speak to the missus for about a week! But now (6 months on) we can talk about it and make plans, etc.
Some of my friends were a bit shocked and I think they thought we might not see it through but we've just accepted an offer on the house so we have to go somewhere now
Also, being up front with work meant that they have been really supportive too, with good references, etc.
We too bought parents PC's with webcams and got them using them straight away so they can get used to it.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:31 pm
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road

We are at the beginning of the Process, just had TRA approved, 139 Visa app to be submitted next week.

We dscussed our thoughts with our parents and family even before we made the decision to apply.

They have been aware of things every step of the way.

My mum has been so supportive along with all of my brothers and sisters. When we got the TRA last Fri It was all screams of delight on the phone, and then, but I really dont want you to go, but I am pleased because we know it's what you want.

Hubbys family is slightly different, he phoned them tonight to tell them we have passed the first hurdle, and although they are saying ok, You feel they are hoping you will fail the next hurdle.

I am glad that we have told my In laws so early because they are now coming over every week (we live 20 miles away). They want to see as much of us as they can before we go. Especially my 3 year old little girl who has bonded with Grandad from day one.

I think if we had left it until we had the visa's they would of never forgiven us. At least this way it gives them a chance to accept it hopefully.

Julia
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:54 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as you make the decision to migrate, gotta tell them some time so just be up front. It also gives relatives more time to adjust to the idea, however when the time comes to lift off reality hits home, it has for our families anyway.

Walla
Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

sumpti is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Fiona&malc
Ouch! feel for you, Luckily we first decided to try to emigrate 3 years ago and announced it whilst on holiday in Florida with Mum and Dad. Dad can't wait for us to go, he can see, what we can, however, mum remains very reserved and does not really like to discuss it, in any depth. It is hard as we are all close, but in some respects I think it will do us all good, I felt guilty to begin with as I had the only two grandchildren, then my sister had a baby in January and with alot of other problems, think that will certainly help mum............when ( i won't say if! , well maybe ) we go!
best of luck, judge your timing and make sure you remain positive about why you are doing it.you may well be surprised!
Em