Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How soon can you buy property?

How soon can you buy property?

Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Kelzomac05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How soon can you buy property?

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help. We are hoping to be in Geelong by the end of next year, are you able to buy property as soon as you get there? or do you have to wait for a few months? We are going on a skilled visa. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thankxx
Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How soon can you buy property?

Originally Posted by Kelzomac05
Hey I was wondering if anyone could help. We are hoping to be in Geelong by the end of next year, are you able to buy property as soon as you get there? or do you have to wait for a few months? We are going on a skilled visa. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thankxx
Is it a permanent or temporary visa?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

Hi to you and good luck with the move OH and I landed on the 17 June 07 and got the keys for our new house on the 11 Aug 07. (got off the plane running into open houses!!) Beware we ended up having to put down 20% deposit as no credit history and OH had just started a new job with a US company!! so it pretty much wiped out our saving quicker than planned It can be done though.

We used a great morgage broker though, who worked his socks of for us and got us a great deal through Bank SA. Hope some of this helps
Old Aug 17th 2008, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Kelzomac05 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's brilliant! we heard that you couldn't buy property once you get there for a certain amount of months. But I couldn't find any info on the net about it. We're going on a permanent visa and should have about £30,000 to take with us. OH just passed the vetassess skills test, so we will be submitting our visa application by the end of this month! How are you finding the move? are you settling in well? xx
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Ozbound08 has a spectacular aura aboutOzbound08 has a spectacular aura aboutOzbound08 has a spectacular aura about

That's brilliant! we heard that you couldn't buy property once you get there for a certain amount of months. But I couldn't find any info on the net about it. We're going on a permanent visa and should have about £30,000 to take with us. OH just passed the vetassess skills test, so we will be submitting our visa application by the end of this month! How are you finding the move? are you settling in well? xx
Hi we are currently in Perth and in the process of buying a house we have been here 3 months but my husband has only been in his job one month! the banks and morgage lenders told us that as long as you have 25% deposit they could lend after only being in a job 4 weeks! The only down side over here is even though the property prices are cheaper the interest rate is a lot higher 8.88 if you are lucky or 9.1 % we are borrowing $320,000 and it is going to cost us $2,500 dollars per month to pay it back which is going to leave us very short things are going to be tight, but we are really hoping interest rates will come down! any how best of luck with everything, hope I haven't painted a too depressing thought!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

We put in an offer on a house about 10 days after arriving! we are now 6 weeks in and living in our new house since Tuesday, we love it!

ANZ offer a fast track mortgage, where you dont need payslips just confirmation from employer that you have worked at least 1 day, but you do need 40% deposit. If your going to SA give me a pm and i will pass you details of our fantastic mortgage broker.

Good luck with it all.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gonnago
We put in an offer on a house about 10 days after arriving! we are now 6 weeks in and living in our new house since Tuesday, we love it!

ANZ offer a fast track mortgage, where you dont need payslips just confirmation from employer that you have worked at least 1 day, but you do need 40% deposit. If your going to SA give me a pm and i will pass you details of our fantastic mortgage broker.

Good luck with it all.
Thats actually a low-doc mortgage - ANZ LowDoc 60.

Mortgage Requirements -
Min 5% deposit
FT employment without a probation period or probation period served.

Thats it aprart from the normal servability requirements and credit checking.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

hmm im pretty sure it was called an Easy something or other. The deposit was definietly 40% as we had to add another few hundred pound to top it up to 40%
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by longreach
Thats actually a low-doc mortgage - ANZ LowDoc 60.

Mortgage Requirements -
Min 5% deposit
FT employment without a probation period or probation period served.

Thats it aprart from the normal servability requirements and credit checking.
According to RateCity the maximum LVR on the ANZ Low Doc 60 is 60%, hence the 60 I suppose.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

What we're finding is that even with a 40% or so deposit we are stuggling to get sufficient finance as only I (and not my husband) has a job - we've only been here 3 weeks so it's not like he's really slacking.

They're quite happy to lend to us even though I've only worked for 2 days, but not as much as we need. We may well end up renting for a few months until we're both in contracted employment so we can get the size of mortgage we need. Be aware of this, I did loads of research into low doc loans before we came out and was pretty confident we could get one- and we can, just not a big enough one.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

geordies4life will become famous soon enoughgeordies4life will become famous soon enough

where you credit checked in the uk for these morgages. as you wouldn't have a credit history in oz.