Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How soon after your visa will you go?

How soon after your visa will you go?

Old Jan 16th 2003, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default How soon after your visa will you go?

Just interested to find out how soon after you receive that long awaited visa you will leave for Oz/NZ.

People that are getting their visas at the moment seem to be leaving soon after. When do you sell your house before you get the visa or wait until it comes through?

I can understand people being keen to get out there, but leaving 3 weeks after you get the visa through must be hard work- how do you organise it all.

Let me know your plans.

Tina
Old Jan 16th 2003, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How soon after your visa will you go?

If like us you have been mentally packed for the last 2 years- it will be quick. We are hoping to hear next week (everything crossed) and if we do it is straight down to the Trailfinders with our wedding vouchers and we will be on the 1st available flight- we have done all the work- just waiting now.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

pickletheplacid is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm hoping to move myself, wife, 7 month old daughter, 2 cats and all our worldly possessions in two months. It will be a challenge but then you do have 50 weeks to plan it.

There is a lot you can do before you get the visa:
1. Select the agent to sell the house.
2. Get quotes and choose the preferred shipper/ pack items we're not going to use.
3. Open Aus Bank account.
4. Car boot/ charity all the junk. (I'll be the one at the car boot selling all the house/ garden plants)
5. Microchip pets get import/ export docs in order.
6. Make a list of who we need to inform change of address. (Some require letters so get them written up)
7. Get house sorted i.e. become Handy Andy, House Doctor and Mr Bodge-it.
8. Start consolidating finances - pensions, savings, stocks/ shares.
9. Check cancellation times for anything you have in place. Gym, phone contracts etc.
10. Pay off debts, loans. Get back things I've loaned.
11. Research Aus housing/ accommodation, car/ transport, location/ area, schools/ jobs etc.

My plan of action once I get the PR visa will be:
First thing - Hand my notice in at work. (Unfortunately I have to give 3 months notice, although this could go down to 2 months as I could throw in my holiday)
That starts the two month count down. So the below will all need to be complete in that time.
1. Put the house on the market. Quickest buyer (no chains) gets red carpet treatment.
2. Get the shippers on board and get everything packed up.
3. Prepare cats x2 for exporting. Injections/ export treatments.
4. Book flights/ car hire.
5. Post office to redirect mail.
6. The list goes on, but as I'm only into the 4 weeks of 50 that's as far as I've got - If any one would like to add to the lists I'd really appreciate it.

Joe
Old Jan 17th 2003, 10:39 am
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road

Helpful post, good luck to you. The only issue is 5 below - how will you know where to redirect to? You can't even get a PO box until you apply in person

Originally posted by pickletheplacid

5. Post office to redirect mail.

Joe
Old Jan 17th 2003, 11:57 am
Melbourne here we come..

madmorgans is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tina

We have just received pre grant letter so if all goes well we are hoping to leave the UK by 28 feb 2003.

We have decided to go this soon for a couple of reasons.

My parents and sister are out in melbourne waiting for us!!! and they in turn are waiting to see their granddaughter!
The weather will be better!!!
And finally we just want to get on with the rest of our lives, we have lived in "Limbo" or so it seems for the past 2 years and now we just want to go!!!

Watch out Melbourne the Madmorgans are on the way!!

Ta Simone
Old Jan 17th 2003, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

parrot is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting to Melbourne is just a dream for us at the moment. We're still waiting to be told to go and do our medicals. Applied 8 October 2001 so could be tomorrow, could be next month! But very cheering to read about people getting their visas and flying off, especially when you're feeling like there's no end in sight! But if we do get them we'll be heading to Aus around September time. Fingers crossed.
Parrot
Old Jan 17th 2003, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How soon after your visa will you go?

Hi Tina

We are planning to be in Melbourne in September.

We are going to apply for a spouse Visa (I'm a naturalised Australian) so plan to front end load our application, make an appointment to the AHC and land on their doorstep in London with the hope that we get the visa approved on the day.

I've been back in the UK nearly 10 years now, and it's taken me this long to convince my partner that living in Oz can be no worse than living in the UK.

I've really enjoyed living here but I feel it's time to return to Oz to bring up our 4 year old daughter.

I will definitely miss all the friends I've made since I've been here. I won't miss the weather, the size of our house (2 bedroom, back to back, small front garden only) how small the roads are, the traffic delays and the people who can't be bothered to indicate when they're turning (very frustrating!!).

I'm back to Melbourne in 3 weeks for a holiday (planned before we decided to move permanently) so will check out properties/land for sale/schooling and jobs!!

My biggest concern with travelling back is that I'm booked on Air Emirates and am just hoping that they don't decide to bomb Iraq before I get back to UK!!
Old Jan 17th 2003, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa since May!

Hi,
We have had our visa's since May but we have only just sold our house (contracts still to be signed) And this is in Cornwall !. Our plans were to go Oct 2002 but we couldn't sell the house, we have now got quote's from shipping companies and as soon as the sell of the house goe's through we will book our flight's for 20th March, because the house has taken so long to sell all kind's of doubt's have gone through our minds, my husband was offered a BIG pay rise to stay,and our oldest son will be going to high school in September so this has been a big issue as he don't want to go to OZ and we had to still visit and enrol him in high school here just in case.
So my view is if you have got inlaws or friends that you can stay with, then get your house sold and anything that you are not taking (see the money that you will save in mortgage, bills e.t.c).

Sue
Old Jan 17th 2003, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

pickletheplacid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by magnetman
Helpful post, good luck to you. The only issue is 5 below - how will you know where to redirect to? You can't even get a PO box until you apply in person
I'll redirect to parents home who will hold the mail fort till we establish ourselves in Aus.

Reading most of the posts on this site it's amazing how much parents/ relatives are involved - if your going to make this big move/ change in your life it's so important to get as many people on board to help out as possible.
(No time to be having family fall outs and all that.)

.......having said that WHEN DO you tell your parents/ close family your moving to the other side of the world......??????

Still haven't yet and have made the decision to tell them after I get the PR visa.

Joe
Old Jan 17th 2003, 3:16 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pickletheplacid
I'll redirect to parents home who will hold the mail fort till we establish ourselves in Aus.

Reading most of the posts on this site it's amazing how much parents/ relatives are involved - if your going to make this big move/ change in your life it's so important to get as many people on board to help out as possible.
(No time to be having family fall outs and all that.)

.......having said that WHEN DO you tell your parents/ close family your moving to the other side of the world......??????

Still haven't yet and have made the decision to tell them after I get the PR visa.

Joe

But you said you are planning to move two months after - hardly time to get them on board? We didn't tell family until the initial stages had been passed - skills assessment etc, then we chatted about it - some glad for us some horrified. I know now living here how much more I appreciate family (ah hindsight). I am loving the freedom also from family commitment that it gives our family Andy and I and the Children but ........I even enjoyed my Mum being here for four weeks and being with her Grandchildren I asked her to stay on longer! This is something from one who finds 6 mins with my mother previously horrified me and left it all to her Son in Law.

I know we all might have to live with the comments - 'how could you leave us' - 'take the Grandchildren' etc but is not some part of your life the family that made it - not withstanding the exceptions most of our families deserve being part of the process, if only to give them time to give US HELL!!!

My Mother is now living in Spain!!! Missed us much some before she got on with being alive

My Mother in Law (best woman alive) runs bank accounts, has full power of attorny along with My Sister to allow us to sell house in absence.

83 Year old Nana - planning on visiting Christmas 2003

I know it is different for all, but while we get on with our adventure they get left with the gap?

Cheers
Old Jan 17th 2003, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Parrot, I was only saying only you and us left to hear from the forum. Let us know when you do....must be soon, how are you coping - we are going downhill fast..

Mash..

Originally posted by parrot
Getting to Melbourne is just a dream for us at the moment. We're still waiting to be told to go and do our medicals. Applied 8 October 2001 so could be tomorrow, could be next month! But very cheering to read about people getting their visas and flying off, especially when you're feeling like there's no end in sight! But if we do get them we'll be heading to Aus around September time. Fingers crossed.
Parrot
Old Jan 17th 2003, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

parrot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mash, I replied on the other thread to your post this afternoon (on the police checks topic I think it was?).
Anyway, sinking fast. Losing hope and getting obsessed with what's happened to who and when they applied! Let's hope the postman brings news next week for both our sanities!
parrot
Old Jan 17th 2003, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Thanks for all of your comments.

We will try and do everything in advance that we can but the house sale does worry me. Houses can fall through and we do not really have any local relatives that we could stay with for long periods of time.

We would be able to stay with my Mum but, as she lives 3 hours away it would mean giving up our jobs and losing money way in advance of leaving.

I also have to give about 3 months notice at work, they have no idea that I will be leaving so I would like to give them as much notice as possible. I have a good job here so I will be a bit sorry / guilty to leave, but life goes on !!

I suppose it will depend on when we get our Visa as to when we leave.We would like to get out there for the New Year and school term next Jan. I definitely don't want another Winter over here!

Tina