Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How was the seed sown?

How was the seed sown?

Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:05 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default How was the seed sown?

How did the decision to move to Australia come about? It seems that most people moving are either families or couples in a relationship so who first suggested it? Is it a man thing and the woman had to come round to their way of thinking or vice versa?

For us, it was other family members that got the ball rolling. Brother in law and wife had already got their visas and were out (at a pub quiz) with other members of the family in the UK. Text messages had been flying back and forth between us (OK - we're a family of cheats!) and then out of the blue we got a question "would you move to Oz?" Hubby and I looked at each other and without a word being exchanged we sent the message back "why not?". Two months later we were gathering documentation to get skills assessed and eight months later we got our visas. Simple!

It has turned into a mass exodus - sister in law and her partner now have visas, brother in law (yes, another) has paid his bond and is expecting the green light any day and hubby's parents are making good progress with their 410 retirement visa.

So, how was it for you?

Binbird
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:22 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How was the seed sown?

Originally Posted by binbird
How did the decision to move to Australia come about? It seems that most people moving are either families or couples in a relationship so who first suggested it? Is it a man thing and the woman had to come round to their way of thinking or vice versa?

For us, it was other family members that got the ball rolling. Brother in law and wife had already got their visas and were out (at a pub quiz) with other members of the family in the UK. Text messages had been flying back and forth between us (OK - we're a family of cheats!) and then out of the blue we got a question "would you move to Oz?" Hubby and I looked at each other and without a word being exchanged we sent the message back "why not?". Two months later we were gathering documentation to get skills assessed and eight months later we got our visas. Simple!

It has turned into a mass exodus - sister in law and her partner now have visas, brother in law (yes, another) has paid his bond and is expecting the green light any day and hubby's parents are making good progress with their 410 retirement visa.

So, how was it for you?

Binbird
i watched home and away once
to be honest it was a ten year plan. but now we wished we had done it when the kids were younger
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

So, how was it for you?

Binbird
My story is remarkably similar to yours.. I actually spent the last year in Sweden, have a lot of friends there, but the IT job market wasn't so good. So when my brothers/sisters asked me about Oz (having just lived through my first Swedish winter) the thought of sun, sea and sand seemed quite good.

At least if I go to Oz I won't miss family, they'll be there.. Though I think I will miss my friends a lot.

Now awaiting confirmation of my visa which should be this month!

Alex
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:35 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex Hall
My story is remarkably similar to yours.. I actually spent the last year in Sweden, have a lot of friends there, but the IT job market wasn't so good. So when my brothers/sisters asked me about Oz (having just lived through my first Swedish winter) the thought of sun, sea and sand seemed quite good.

At least if I go to Oz I won't miss family, they'll be there.. Though I think I will miss my friends a lot.

Now awaiting confirmation of my visa which should be this month!

Alex
good luck mate, when do u expect to be out here
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Our start to all this was the program get a new life.The original one of the family who moved to New zealand we just looked at each other and said we could do something like that. My dear old mum had just passed away and then my best mate my dad joined her 9 months after so i thought why not lifes too short.

dave and sam
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Originally Posted by soapy
good luck mate, when do u expect to be out here
If all goes well I get my visa this month, I am then thinking of popping over for 2 weeks over easter to validate so I don't have to then worry about when I have to move by (have a fun, good job and looking at some business ideas with a friend so timescales for emigrating are flexible).

If all goes according to current plans I expect to move to Sydney sometime between July and September. Probably rent in Manly for 6-12 months.

alex
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:04 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

alex
Please could someone other than my 'bother-in-law' (no typo! - only kidding!)contribute to this thread. I know enough about you! I wanted to nose into other people's circumstances.

Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Please could someone other than my 'bother-in-law' (no typo! - only kidding!)contribute to this thread. I know enough about you! I wanted to nose into other people's circumstances.

Damn, you noticed! However I didn't think you did justice to my reasoning for thinking of going to Oz... You sort of gave a very short hand view that may have given people a false impression that I was just a sheep tagging along

Alex
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

gp18264 is an unknown quantity at this point

So, how was it for you?

Binbird

Hi all

I was talking with my wife one evening about my brother who has lived in WA for the last 14 years when suddenly she said why don't you go and see him, as you are always talking about him. So I promptly booked a flight and had a great time catching up (we are very close) met my 4 nieces for the 1st time and came home happy as Larry. After telling my wife and kids all about my adventure 2 months down the line my wife suddenly said how do you fancy moving to Australia, and the rest is history as they say. I sometimes think my wife sent me out to find out what it is like. We are patiently waiting on our visas
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

My ex (daughters father) is an Aussie. When we were still together and he was VERY homesick, I suggested going to have a look with the possibility of living there. He said that it would make his homesickness worse and could not take me away from everyone i knew.
After we split,he wanted to take our daughter to visit friends and relatives there. I didnt think she (only 4 at the time) would be able to cope with 4 weeks away without me- so explained i thought i would have to tag along too!
Eventually we all went for a holiday. I fell in love with Queensland and the lifestyle........ the rest is history Got my daughter citizenship by descent and my Visa should be with me in next 2/3 months.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:35 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

How did the decision to move to Australia come about?
So, how was it for you?

Binbird
Did a Business degree and company about to send me to America. Then 9/11 happend. Business plans went into retrenchment. This started a "so what next?" conversation within the family

We decided Australia....and the rest is history as they say

Regrets? Yep....

Should have done it years ago

Old Feb 12th 2005, 12:28 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Born of Aussie parents. Convinced the wife to visit them over xmas. She fell in love with the place, she realised how 'in a rut' our lives were over here and suggested we move. So that's what we're doing. Bit easier for us since I'm already a citizen and so the wife gets Spouse visa and my son goes on as a dependant.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:00 am
Birds of a feather . . .

Damn, you noticed! However I didn't think you did justice to my reasoning for thinking of going to Oz... You sort of gave a very short hand view that may have given people a false impression that I was just a sheep tagging along

Alex
You're not the only sheep in the family. My initials are BAH so that makes me the genuine thing!

Any more stories out there about how the idea of moving to Oz first sprung to mind? A lot of us seem to have family connections out there already but I really admire any of you who are going it alone. Tell me why.......

Nosey Binbird
Old Feb 12th 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

our story, well sometimes you just wonder if things are just meant to be
Hubby and an old friend from school days got in touch again after 20 odd years through friends reunited,they arranged to go out for a drink,when he came back he told me that they were emmigrating to canada
Any way we got together quite a lot after that and we all became very good friends,and we kinda went through the whole process with them, you know all the ups and down,and we were very excited for them.Then one day completely out of the blue gary said how do you fancy living in australia,i thought he d gone completely mad but my daughter was really keen,she d seen it on the telly anyway we started the process,but i guess i never really thought it would come to anything,but then,i discovered expats,and reading through the threads and chatting to people and going on as many websites as i could find,i decided that yes lets go for it,and now we have our visas,who d have thought it, i certainly wouldnt have a couple of years ago.

So the seeds were planted by our friends jeff and amanda who are now in vancouver,and love it over there, we ve been to see them and they cant wait to come and see us in brisbane

tracey.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I haven't started the process yet because my boyfriend is not sure about it. He's quite happy here and doesn't fancy going all that way to live, plus he's never been and says he might not like it.
But I've been on holiday before and loved it, so now we're planning three months travelling around Oz later this year.
He knows how I'm very keen to emmigrate (although we may have problems getting a visa) and I'm hoping this trip will show him what a fantastic place it is and also give us a look at all the different cities which might give us an idea where we want to live if we do go ahead with it.
It's something I've always wanted to do and I'll be gutted if he decides, after this, that he doesn't want to.
I'm also planning to stay out there a bit longer after our trip as I have a working holiday visa so will try and make some work contacts should we decide on going ahead with permanent residency.
The more I read the threads on this board the more I want to do it. Just wish he felt the same

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.