Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Safe is Turkey to Australians

How Safe is Turkey to Australians

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

donsp10 is on a distinguished road
Default How Safe is Turkey to Australians

Ok I have read the D.F.A.T. site about the warning to Australians going to Gallipoli on Anzac day, but we have had the trip booked since November 03.
Does anyone have any thoughts/advice to Aussies on whether we should cancell or just be on alert. I have always wanted to go and pay my respects to the many soldiers who died for our country.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Donna
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:46 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How Safe is Turkey to Australians

Originally posted by donsp10
Ok I have read the D.F.A.T. site about the warning to Australians going to Gallipoli on Anzac day, but we have had the trip booked since November 03.
Does anyone have any thoughts/advice to Aussies on whether we should cancell or just be on alert. I have always wanted to go and pay my respects to the many soldiers who died for our country.
Donna
You are in more danger of getting punched by a pissed Aussie backpacker than getting blown up by terrorists. There is a risk of attack but that could happen on the train to Waterloo.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

lol Bondi

Check out the AHC Ankara Website http://www.embaustralia.org.tr/
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 5:41 pm
AJR
Forum Regular

AJR is an unknown quantity at this point

Donna

i have been to turkey on many occasions and you could not find a more friendly people, you will enjoy there hospitality and there food.
Alan
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Probably safer than the chicken - they put all sorts of additives in that stuff
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 5:53 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by sjn2003
Probably safer than the chicken - they put all sorts of additives in that stuff

Shouldn't encourage.....but can't elp it

Daft beggar

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 6:01 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Donna
Can understand your concerns Donna however not all Muslims are terrorists!!!

There are good Muslims and bad Muslims...good English & bad English, good Australians blah blah ............

There are terrorist cells from various groups in most countries.Would this stop you from visiting???

Nah.......thought not.

Be vigilant......enjoy.........and don't let it stop you going

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

Try telling an English Football Fan how safe Turkey is. During the recent qualifying game for Euro 2004, they banned English fan from supporting their team becuase they could not guarentee their safety.

A bit like this forum on ocassions...... a few spoiling it for the majority.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

When we lived there in the 70s the driving was by far the biggest hazard - that at a time when we heard gunshots and bombs going off every night....

Lesley
Old Apr 4th 2004, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Thousands of british tourists travelto Turkey every year for their holidays, many of them with well known tour operators. I am sure that if there was any risk these tour operators would not even think about taking tourists to Turkey.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 7:30 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by debsy
Thousands of british tourists travelto Turkey every year for their holidays, many of them with well known tour operators. I am sure that if there was any risk these tour operators would not even think about taking tourists to Turkey.
Yep...agree. Although to be fair tourist operators don't want to frighten the tourists off so they have an added interest in keeping schtum. However the British consulate wouldn't encourage visits to Turkey if any major probs.

Did IRA bombs stop us visiting London or Manchester or anywhere else in UK?

Terrorist organisations want to stop people leading normal lives. They are now crossing boundries/ countries e.g. Al-Qaeda bombs in Madrid, Bali and threats to UK, Australia etc....

Me finx idea is to carry on a "normal" life but be extra vigilant and keep away from potential blue touch situations [e.g. football matches abroad as you could set yourself up as a victim as well as target!]

Go enjoy life....... take care / be careful

Phoenixuk2oz

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Apr 4th 2004 at 7:36 pm.

Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hope its safe as Blim is going at the end of the month... life goes on & it's not like its a declared war zone or anything! You're probably in as much danger in any other major city.
Hope you have an enjoyable visit.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 11:49 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Larissa
Hope its safe as Blim is going at the end of the month... life goes on & it's not like its a declared war zone or anything! You're probably in as much danger in any other major city.
Hope you have an enjoyable visit.
Exactly.

The Australian Defence Minister is going. On the news last night the warning was general and there was no specific threat to Australians at Gallipoli.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 2:56 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Donna
From what I've seen on the news here, the government is warning Australians not to go, but they say they have received no specific threats.

The government is just coving it's behind, just in case anything happens - ie they received huge stick here when Bali happened.. victims families and lawyers accused the government of not warning them of the believed dangerous.

If you now look at the official gov warnings - most countries in the world have warnings attached to them, including the UK.

Make of it what you wish, of course there is a risk, same as as there are risks when your entering Heathrow airport , or even Harrods near Christmas.

It's up to you to decide.

Cheers