Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How safe do you feel?

How safe do you feel?

Old May 15th 2003, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Andrew P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How safe do you feel?

Another question on reasons to go I guess, the whole politeness and general pleasantness of people here is waning rapidly.

Let me give you an example is I may, I live in Wimbledon, for those of you that don't know, it's an affluent part of south west London with property ranging from a 1 bed flat at £200k to mansions with 'price on application'! Every week day afternoon at the local station there are 8 -10 police in body armour, some with dogs and some with video cameras ensuring the the school kids, yes the 10-16 year olds don;t cause too much trouble or damage after a spate of assaults on staff and propery and the general level of appalling behaviour.

In my experience of Australia, admittedly mainly Melbourne, the school kids there seem to better mannered and not as abusive. This is in areas that are certainly no nicer than Wimbledon.

Does anyone disagree?
Old May 15th 2003, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding safety!

Well a 15 year was raped the other day walking through the park down the road,broad daylight. You can`t go in town after dark because of all the asylum seekers who roam the streets. Forget going to the local shops unless you want to be verbally abused by teenage thugs and i leave in one of the best part in town. Oh not forgetting the race track out side aroung 11pm to about 1am all that rubber being burnt.

And before anyone replies i am under no illusion that this could also happen in Australia but these are reasons or some of why we want to leave. Bad things happen everywhere but we as individuals are quite entititled to try and change things.

footie chick
Old May 15th 2003, 8:41 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by footie chick
Regarding safety!

Well a 15 year was raped the other day walking through the park down the road,broad daylight. You can`t go in town after dark because of all the asylum seekers who roam the streets. Forget going to the local shops unless you want to be verbally abused by teenage thugs and i leave in one of the best part in town. Oh not forgetting the race track out side aroung 11pm to about 1am all that rubber being burnt.

And before anyone replies i am under no illusion that this could also happen in Australia but these are reasons or some of why we want to leave. Bad things happen everywhere but we as individuals are quite entititled to try and change things.

footie chick
Where was that, Footie Chick?

Cheers - Don
Old May 15th 2003, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Eastbourne. Its a bloody nightmare that poor girls life is ruined forever.

footie chick
Old May 15th 2003, 8:51 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by footie chick
Eastbourne. Its a bloody nightmare that poor girls life is ruined forever.

footie chick
Pretty rotten for her and that's understating it.

Do you reckon UK streets have become unsafer over the last 5 years?

Cheers - Don
Old May 15th 2003, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Definately, well i can only speak for here but i don`t go out after dark unless i have to. Too many weirdos. Local paper is always full of crime. Shame but that is now a factor of life.

footie chick
Old May 15th 2003, 9:01 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Pretty rotten for her and that's understating it.

Do you reckon UK streets have become unsafer over the last 5 years?

Cheers - Don
God yes!

Even the residential areas sometimes make me feel uncomfortable (we live in Stevenage). My kids, aged 9 and 6, can't even step foot outside the front door without the little s**t from across the road giving them a 2 fingered salute. And there is no good saying anything to the parents as they don't give a damn and you run the risk of going out in the morning and finding your car keyed.

Stop the world i want to get off!!!
Old May 15th 2003, 9:01 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it's only a snapshot, but we had attempted abductions of 5 children over the last few days in Bournemouth. One of the girls had a plastic bag put over her head but managed to get away by kicking her abductor in the shins. Police are warning parents not to let the children walk to school on their own.

I know it happens everywhere, but its always a shock when you live in such a quiet area of the country.

Steph
Old May 15th 2003, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

What can you do

`The world in which we live is not a nice place`

footie chick
Old May 16th 2003, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How safe do you feel?

Originally posted by Andrew P
Another question on reasons to go I guess, the whole politeness and general pleasantness of people here is waning rapidly.

Let me give you an example is I may, I live in Wimbledon, for those of you that don't know, it's an affluent part of south west London with property ranging from a 1 bed flat at £200k to mansions with 'price on application'! Every week day afternoon at the local station there are 8 -10 police in body armour, some with dogs and some with video cameras ensuring the the school kids, yes the 10-16 year olds don;t cause too much trouble or damage after a spate of assaults on staff and propery and the general level of appalling behaviour.

In my experience of Australia, admittedly mainly Melbourne, the school kids there seem to better mannered and not as abusive. This is in areas that are certainly no nicer than Wimbledon.

Does anyone disagree?

They were not "police in body armour", they were Wombles.
Old May 16th 2003, 12:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe do you feel?

Originally posted by Andrew P

Does anyone disagree?

Perth is very safe, the only time you'd feel threatened is if you managed to upset a local gang.

For example if you took a bikie out with a hunting rifle you can expect to die in a car bombing. (True story)