Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to register to teach in WA

How to register to teach in WA

Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Julie3w is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to register to teach in WA

Hi can anyone give me any advice on how to register to teach in WA. Already have visa through husbands job but want to look into teaching again when I get to Perth. Is it better to register before I go or when I get there?
Any help gratefully received.

Julie
Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice
Default Re: How to register to teach in WA

Hi,

2-3months before you arrive in Oz get in contact with WACOT (WA college of teaching). You must be registered with them to teach in any school in the state and the paperwork needed is quite extensive. You can get everything arranged in this time except for the Aussie criminal records check, and as soon as you arrive you can go and sign this document. After the check your membership will come through in 2-3weeks. Once a member of WACOT you are eligible to teach in private schools.

To be eligible to teach in state schools you must attend an entry and orientation course. This is in Perth (although if you're living over 100km away you can do a home-version), the course lasts 3 days and was quite helpful/interesting.

After this you can
a) do 10 days supply teaching, 5 of which must be in the same school. This is paid, but obv takes however long it takes to get 10 days work.

b) do 10 days 'placement.' This is unpaid, but gets it out the way quicker and you only teach 100% for the 2nd week.

After doing the 10 days and the principal sending off some paperwork you then have to attend a short interview and give a 5 minute presentation.

After this you get the magic department of education ID number and THIS is what you need to teach in the state sector.

Hope this helps,

Gemma
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Julie3w is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gemma that was very useful.

Julie
Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:01 pm
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

I'm grateful for this information too! Thank you so much.