Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How the recession is affecting visa approvals

How the recession is affecting visa approvals

Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Beeka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How the recession is affecting visa approvals

I'm a Brit that just got my Residency in NZ, been living here 18 months now. I though it was a laborious process until this put everything in perspective for me:

My best mate from the UK and her fiancee have been applying for Australian Residency for the last 3 years. They have paid GBP3000 to an agent to help them do it. Her fiancee is a self employed joiner and the paperwork has taken so long, with very confusing message from their agents (they are on their 5th assigned agent now).

Thinking the process was almost complete, they came to visit me in NZ in Feb, expecting to get their new visas within a matter of weeks and move on to Sydney. Then Aussie immigration announced they were to save jobs for locals and put many visa applications on hold, saving places only for the critical skills list. Now they're "stuck in NZ" with me (lol) until Aussie begins reviewing their application again... which will be no sooner than 1st July but more likely Xmas, says their agent.

Their entire lives are in limbo, having quit their jobs and shut down their business in the UK, with nothing on this side of the world but me and my partner. (They have never even been to Aussie before.) They cant find jobs in NZ because of the recession, and they have it good here because they can live with us rent free. They want to move on to Aussie so badly but are worried what will happen if they don't find jobs immediately there; they only have so much money and 2 mortgages to pay in the UK. They could well be forced back to the UK at this rate - and the dream will be gone!

I wonder how many other people are in this boat because of the recession?

Last edited by Beeka; Apr 19th 2009 at 1:26 am.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:50 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How the recession is affecting visa approvals

Originally Posted by Beeka
Their entire lives are in limbo, having quit their jobs and shut down their business in the UK, with nothing on this side of the world but me and my partner.
Why did they do this without having their visa in place first

They cant find jobs in NZ because of the recession
Do they have a visa to allow them to work in NZ?

They only have so much money and 2 mortgages to pay in the UK.
Why did they give their jobs up if they have this level of responsibility and no visa outcome?

They could well be forced back to the UK at this rate - and the dream will be gone!
This could be a nightmare for them.

Why did they give up their jobs, keep two mortgages going and beleive they could work in NZ - all without a visa?

Perhaps I have missed something here?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter

Why did they give their jobs up if they have this level of responsibility and no visa outcome?

Why did they give up their jobs, keep two mortgages going and beleive they could work in NZ - all without a visa?

Suddenly people start to realise why we have always advised posters not to sell up and move to this side of the world on tourist visas while waiting for their work visas to be granted.

I do feel sorry for the OPs friends, but their actions may have been a bit rash.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:06 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Suddenly people start to realise why we have always advised posters not to sell up and move to this side of the world on tourist visas while waiting for their work visas to be granted.

I do feel sorry for the OPs friends, but their actions may have been a bit rash.
I agree. I understand why people take some risks i.e selling their house whilst they have the opportunity especially given the current economic climate, but there are calculated risks and uncalculated risks. Not sure which category this couple are in as yet
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:23 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter

You beat me to it All the qestions I was going to ask.

To the OP. I don't really think it's fair to say "DIAC said 'they were saving jobs for locals". I don't recall Chris Evans saying anything like that. What he did imply was that DIAC and the Government wanted to try and ensure that people already in Australia kept or got jobs.

I took that to mean people who already lived here regardless of nationality/race to whichever word you wish to use.

Although I feel sorry for your friends they did jump the gun. Did their agent actually tell them their visa was going to be granted imminently in which case they may be able to sue him for lying or was it their assumption.

Maybe they'll be better off returning to the UK and getting any job they can if they have no working rights in NZ especially as their agent has now said they'll have to wait until Xmas for their visa to be processed.

This story should surely act as a warning for anyone else contemplating burning bridges in their home country without being in possession of a visa.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Unfortunately for them, you are absolutely right. They have made many risky decisions without understanding the potential for things going wrong. We have been flinching at their actions all along, wishing they would choose another route, but at the end of the day they make their own decisions...

I think that after waiting for so long, when their agent said they would have their visa in hand within 3 weeks, they decided it couldn't possibly take any longer... and simply hopped on a plane. Everything came to a close in the UK awfully fast, it was a very stressful time for them.

They are literally sitting around the house doing nothing day to day, unable to make a decision. They have applied for Working Holiday Visas in NZ, although I have explained the limitations of that. I think their only hope for staying here is to get a job offer and then employer sponsorship?

Like I say, they will have to pay rent in Australia which will cripple them within a couple of months. I really do expect them to be back in the UK before I go for a visit this July, which is terrible because they are not "dumb" people, they have just made some very unfortunate decisions.

If anyone has any advice I will gladly pass it on.

PS Crystal... sorry if my phrasing came out wrong, the message I got was they had changed the approval process because of the shortage of jobs in the recession. So new immigrants would have to be "put on hold". And yes their agent literally said it would be 3 weeks! Funnily enough she left the company last week and they have been assigned a new agent.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:52 am
Account Closed

Unfortunately for them, you are absolutely right. They have made many risky decisions without understanding the potential for things going wrong. We have been flinching at their actions all along, wishing they would choose another route, but at the end of the day they make their own decisions...

I think that after waiting for so long, when their agent said they would have their visa in hand within 3 weeks, they decided it couldn't possibly take any longer... and simply hopped on a plane. Everything came to a close in the UK awfully fast, it was a very stressful time for them.

They are literally sitting around the house doing nothing day to day, unable to make a decision. They have applied for Working Holiday Visas in NZ, although I have explained the limitations of that. I think their only hope for staying here is to get a job offer and then employer sponsorship?

Like I say, they will have to pay rent in Australia which will cripple them within a couple of months. I really do expect them to be back in the UK before I go for a visit this July, which is terrible because they are not "dumb" people, they have just made some very unfortunate decisions.

If anyone has any advice I will gladly pass it on.

PS Crystal... sorry if my phrasing came out wrong, the message I got was they had changed the approval process because of the shortage of jobs in the recession. So new immigrants would have to be "put on hold". And yes their agent literally said it would be 3 weeks! Funnily enough she left the company last week and they have been assigned a new agent.
Hi Beeka

Thanks for clarifiying

I was typing another post (Can't multipost) to suggest your friends apply for a NZ WHV but not sure if that was possible when your reply popped up.

But you say they are looking into that. What about a WHV for Australia too if they under 30. Not sure if they can get one if they are waiting for a GSM visa but someone will know for sure.

Regarding their agent, sadly this seems to be par for the course judging by various threads lately.Comments such as "My agent said it would take 2 weeks, 3 weeks etc etc", "My agent said I will defintely get state sponsorship". yadda yadda yadda.

Maybe applicants should start to question these assurances because I cannot believe for one minute that any agent can give a definite time frame especially as DIAC themselves give no guarantee, just guidelines, on how long it takes to process applications.

At least they've got you as a good friend to put them up. I hope they can find a solution
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crystal23
What about a WHV for Australia too if they under 30. Not sure if they can get one if they are waiting for a GSM visa but someone will know for sure.
Their agent (the one that just left) told them its not possible to apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Aus while they have their Residency application in process. Im surprised at this -do you know the logic of it?

I want to encourage them to go simply because nothing is happening for them here in NZ... but looks like their options in Australia are even more limited. Im not sure how they are staying sane right now, possibly they are in denial??
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Their agent (the one that just left) told them its not possible to apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Aus while they have their Residency application in process. Im surprised at this -do you know the logic of it?

I want to encourage them to go simply because nothing is happening for them here in NZ... but looks like their options in Australia are even more limited. Im not sure how they are staying sane right now, possibly they are in denial??
They can certainly apply for a WHV while waiting for their PR - they just have to ensure they let DIAC knwo what they are doing. When the PR is ready for grant they will have to leave Australia again for the grant to be finished.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They can certainly apply for a WHV while waiting for their PR - they just have to ensure they let DIAC knwo what they are doing.
OMG! Well there's a pleasant surprise! Was their agent completely bonkers then?

I will tell them now...
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:16 am
Account Closed

Maybe your friends could give DIAC a call and ask about the WHV conditions. Maybe if it is not possible to get one it is because you cannot be in possession of certain types of visas at the same time but that is just a guess. I honestly don't know, it was just another option I thought of.

I think your friends are in denial too. It sounds like they are hoping against hope their visa will be granted very soon and therefore they are not budging.

Realisitcally, it sounds like their only hope is to get a NZ WHV or go back to the UK and be patient.

Can you do a search, or get them to do a search on the forum to see if one of you can get a lightbulb moment from other people's stories. Sitting around isn't going to help them. I don't want to sound harsh but it seems like they should be a bit more pro-active.

Have they rented their UK homes out? 2 mortgages, no job and no income is not good.

Good luck
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:18 am
Account Closed

OMG! Was their agent completely bonkers then?

AHA!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 4:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crystal23
Have they rented their UK homes out? 2 mortgages, no job and no income is not good.
Yes at least they have 2x rent coming in. But after mortgage repayments and other expenses, they are making GBP100 or so a month... Even with the current low interest rates (that's another story altogether)

You're right I do need to give them a light bulb moment... Thanks for the advice you guys, will update you if anything big happens!