Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How quickly can you move into a rental house?

How quickly can you move into a rental house?

Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:28 am
Just Joined

stewburt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How quickly can you move into a rental house?

Assuming you emigrate and ship out your container of goods at the same time, how soon can you find and move into a rented house, so that you have a place for your goods to be delivered to?

I'm hoping to avoid the 'going into storage' cost which is around $700.

Thanks for any advice
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:03 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How quickly can you move into a rental house?

Originally Posted by stewburt
Assuming you emigrate and ship out your container of goods at the same time, how soon can you find and move into a rented house, so that you have a place for your goods to be delivered to?

Thanks for any advice
The advice I was given was that you should be able to find a 'permanent' rental within about 6 weeks. However be aware they will need a 'destination' address for the shipping anyway, which then gets changed.

Given 9-12 weeks for your stuff to get there, you could send up to 3-6 weeks before you fly out and still have it work out.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Excluding the time spent looking, once you find the place, you can be in within a few days.

Quite a few people have slept on air beds in their new places waiting for the furniture to arrive. And used the garden table and chairs in the dining room

Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:02 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

It really depends. I imagine with the amount of time you have you could find something to move into in that time frame.

When we arrived in Brisbane I looked at a place one afternoon and picked up the keys the next morning. It just happened to be empty and it was only available for 4 months, which is exactly what we wanted as we planned to buy a house asap.

So for us is was less than 24 hours, although I suspect most people will take longer to find a place!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:01 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any advice
We arrived on 10th Jan and were in our rental by the Australia Day weekend and we were offered both of the rentals we applied for.

You have to be prepared to do serious legwork, take your paperwork with you to the viewings (preferably get the agents application forms before you go so you can hand it in there and then if you like the place) .. oh, and we found writing 'We are happy to pay 3 months rent up front' across the top of each page of the application forms really helped the process
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:38 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We arrived on 10th Jan and were in our rental by the Australia Day weekend and we were offered both of the rentals we applied for.

You have to be prepared to do serious legwork, take your paperwork with you to the viewings (preferably get the agents application forms before you go so you can hand it in there and then if you like the place) .. oh, and we found writing 'We are happy to pay 3 months rent up front' across the top of each page of the application forms really helped the process
its amazing how well this works
when we looked at a rental in varsity the agents wanted references from our previous landlords. tried explaining that we hadnt rented in the last 20 yrs and was told that references were essential if we wanted to rent,
so i offerd to pay for 6 months up front,
next day the agent phoned us saying it was all sorted when did we want to move in
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:22 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any advice
Took us 6 days.....we bought a sofa and bits of cutlery, small tv, fridge/freezer and air beds to tide us over until our container arrived, all of which are still in use now, except the air beds.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:18 am
Just Joined

stewburt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your excellent answers, good point about references, and I'll dust down the airbed.
Sounds like if a house is empty there shouldn't be any barriers to moving in quickly.