Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How is the process of renewing WA driving licenses?

How is the process of renewing WA driving licenses?

Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future
Question How is the process of renewing WA driving licenses?

Hi 2 all,

I have a western Australian driving license which I obtained last year. Its expiry date is close and I am going to renew it.

How will be the process of renewal? Do I have to wait for a renewal pack in my mailbox?

If I renew my driving license over internet, what will I be posted afterwards?Will I be mailed a new driving license with a new expiry date or a sticker to be stuck on my current driving license?

How much normally will it take that I receive the new driving license (or sticker) after I renew my driving license over internet?

Thank you very much.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:03 pm
I'm a Perthie!

coffeedrinker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How is the process of renewing WA driving licenses?

Originally Posted by BARDI77
Hi 2 all,

I have a western Australian driving license which I obtained last year. Its expiry date is close and I am going to renew it.

How will be the process of renewal? Do I have to wait for a renewal pack in my mailbox?

If I renew my driving license over internet, what will I be posted afterwards?Will I be mailed a new driving license with a new expiry date or a sticker to be stuck on my current driving license?

How much normally will it take that I receive the new driving license (or sticker) after I renew my driving license over internet?

Thank you very much.
They send you a reminder in the mail, one month before it expires.

You can pay it online, or go into one of their offices and pay for it. Once you pay, you will receive the new licence in the mail. It's very easy. Should take about 3 weeks to arrive after it's paid.

Fees for all licencing / car registrations and some FAQ's can be found here :

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1217.asp

:-)
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:50 pm
ABCDiamond

Here in QLD they send a small sticker out, to be put on the back of the original licence.

Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker
They send you a reminder in the mail, one month before it expires.

You can pay it online, or go into one of their offices and pay for it. Once you pay, you will receive the new licence in the mail. It's very easy. Should take about 3 weeks to arrive after it's paid.

Fees for all licencing / car registrations and some FAQ's can be found here :

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1217.asp

:-)

Thank you for your reply.

I am moving to QLD in 3 weeks. Accordingly, if I follow the routine process of license renewal I will not be here in my current address in WA to receive my license in my mailbox. On the other hand I will certainly need my license to be renewed because I don't want the hassle of expiration my license in the first days of my move to QLD to be added to other stresses!. Moving is pretty stressful by itself in the first days!

Can you show me a way to facilitate the process? Do I HAVE to wait for the renewal pack? What about the 3 weeks waiting period for receiving the new license? Could it be shortened anyway?

Cheers

Last edited by BARDI77; Jun 17th 2009 at 12:15 am.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:40 pm
I'm a Perthie!

coffeedrinker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BARDI77
Thank you for your reply.

Can you show me a way to facilitate the process? Do I HAVE to wait for the renewal pack? What about the 3 weeks waiting period for receiving the new license? Could it be shortened anyway?

Cheers

My suggestion?

Mail forwarding at the post office OR change your postal address with the DPI, just go in and do it or call them.

You really would be better off just making a phone call, the girls/guys there are friendly as a rule. :-)