How to plan

Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to plan

Hi Everyone,

Could do with some more advice.. we should get grant by the end of Jan but are not emigrating until mid son finishes his GCSE's - his last exam we have just found out is the first week in July.

How do you recommend we time selling the house,getting shippers and get flights booked etc??

Watching you all is so different from person to person, some have sold pre-grant others when got grant. Am just concious of being homeless whilst son is doing GCSE's.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom???
Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:51 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to plan

Unfortunately Cath, as I'm sure you're aware, you can't really 'plan' a house sale. Ours was on the market for 5 months before we accepted an offer, some sell straight away.

I must say I'm glad we have sold before grant (well fingers crossed as we haven't exchanged yet ). We have moved into a furnished flat, even closer to our girls school, our stuff is in storage although we are able to add to the container at the last minute as there are some things that would be hard to be without for a few weeks/months.

As for your son, if you were to do a similar thing, I'd say that would not affect him at all - very little has changed for our girls so life goes on as before for them. It's just us that are stressed

I would say talk to local estate agents about what the market is like where you are at the moment and research for yourself by looking how long it's taking for properties to sell....

Hope this helps

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Hi Everyone,

Could do with some more advice.. we should get grant by the end of Jan but are not emigrating until mid son finishes his GCSE's - his last exam we have just found out is the first week in July.

How do you recommend we time selling the house,getting shippers and get flights booked etc??

Watching you all is so different from person to person, some have sold pre-grant others when got grant. Am just concious of being homeless whilst son is doing GCSE's.

Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weasy
Unfortunately Cath, as I'm sure you're aware, you can't really 'plan' a house sale. Ours was on the market for 5 months before we accepted an offer, some sell straight away.

I must say I'm glad we have sold before grant (well fingers crossed as we haven't exchanged yet ). We have moved into a furnished flat, even closer to our girls school, our stuff is in storage although we are able to add to the container at the last minute as there are some things that would be hard to be without for a few weeks/months.

As for your son, if you were to do a similar thing, I'd say that would not affect him at all - very little has changed for our girls so life goes on as before for them. It's just us that are stressed

I would say talk to local estate agents about what the market is like where you are at the moment and research for yourself by looking how long it's taking for properties to sell....

Hope this helps

Lou
xx
Lou, so how all your stuff is in storage do you then get the container people to get it from the storage unit place??? and also how much is it to store everything?
Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Hi,
My daughter finished her gcses in July.
I advertised the house last September and finally sold and completed in May.Arranged a rental for 6 months. Had to look at 13 houses before I found a landlord who would let me keep the dog!
Well the dog leaves on the 17th Oct. The furniture leaves on 24th Oct. I had 5 quotes. Dont book this over a weekend. You will be charged more. We fly on the 25th Oct with Singapore airlines. I still havent sorted out my garage. And still have some furniture to sell. On top of that its my daughters birthday today and we are having a party on friday for her.
I arranged the dog first. Then booked the removal company and flights within 1/2 hr of each other.

Dont forget things like cancelling child benefit, claiming back TV licence fees and water payments, tax rebates.

It seems totally overwhelming and it was until I decided to think of one day at a time. Everything will fall into place honest. You'll be fine.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Louise M
Hi,
My daughter finished her gcses in July.
I advertised the house last September and finally sold and completed in May.Arranged a rental for 6 months. Had to look at 13 houses before I found a landlord who would let me keep the dog!
Well the dog leaves on the 17th Oct. The furniture leaves on 24th Oct. I had 5 quotes. Dont book this over a weekend. You will be charged more. We fly on the 25th Oct with Singapore airlines. I still havent sorted out my garage. And still have some furniture to sell. On top of that its my daughters birthday today and we are having a party on friday for her.
I arranged the dog first. Then booked the removal company and flights within 1/2 hr of each other.

Dont forget things like cancelling child benefit, claiming back TV licence fees and water payments, tax rebates.

It seems totally overwhelming and it was until I decided to think of one day at a time. Everything will fall into place honest. You'll be fine.
Thats another thing!!! the rental companies around here only do a minimum 6month rental contract. We went through all this a few month ago when our eldest was moving out so know their minimum.

My list has started though now...its all valuable this. May be worth just priniting off the thread and use a highlighter plan when its ran a little longer.

Cheers folks
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:06 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Cath

Our stuff is in storage with the shipping company that will send our stuff to Oz so as soon as we give them the nod they'll swing round and pick up the last few bits, pack everything in the container and send it off. We are taking up 3 storage units and it's costing us £15 per week + VAT though I have to confess we're getting rellies rates with the shipping company which is why I'm not saying the name. I imagine it's not a huge amount more for regular rate as our actual shipping charge is less but not THAT much less.

Might be worth getting a couple of quotes from Doree Bonner etc...?

Lou
xx

Lou, so how all your stuff is in storage do you then get the container people to get it from the storage unit place??? and also how much is it to store everything?
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:08 am
Look at moi!!!

Cath

Look for ads in post office/shop windows - we found a very nice landlord who is letting us do monthly contract...

Lou
xx

Thats another thing!!! the rental companies around here only do a minimum 6month rental contract. We went through all this a few month ago when our eldest was moving out so know their minimum.

My list has started though now...its all valuable this. May be worth just priniting off the thread and use a highlighter plan when its ran a little longer.

Cheers folks
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers folks
My landlord has been great. I found another family who wanted to move in here. My lease was for 6 months but I'm leaving after 5. I didn't tell him originally i would be leaving early. He's quite happy with that. Try and find someone who would take over the lease. And he's happy to give me my deposit back too.
I did think of doing a moonlight flit and losing the deposit but it wasnt necessary, which I am pleased about. Didn't want to leave him in the lurch. Failing that you could always say that you have been offered a brilliant job elsewhere and you need to start asap or you will lose the opportunity blah blah. Try and give him 6 weeks notice though so he can find another tenant. I know its telling Porkies but hey ho.......
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Weasy
Cath

Our stuff is in storage with the shipping company that will send our stuff to Oz so as soon as we give them the nod they'll swing round and pick up the last few bits, pack everything in the container and send it off. We are taking up 3 storage units and it's costing us £15 per week + VAT though I have to confess we're getting rellies rates with the shipping company which is why I'm not saying the name. I imagine it's not a huge amount more for regular rate as our actual shipping charge is less but not THAT much less.

Might be worth getting a couple of quotes from Doree Bonner etc...?

Lou
xx
Cheers Lou, we arent paying for shipping due to mates rates either, but think we would feel cheeky asking them to store it for us beforehand. Will slip it into coversation and see what they come up with.

We will have a look in shop windows. Louise cheers for the pointers, all valuable pointers.

You lot have been great..cheers, just going up to x-cape for the affy. will give us something to chat about on the way up. x x
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:18 am
Look at moi!!!

I think if you find a rental where you deal with the landlord directly then they are often more flexible rather than dealing with the dreaded EA

Also when you come to actually sell your house look at http://www.housenetwork.co.uk/ - we sold ours with them.

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Louise M
My landlord has been great. I found another family who wanted to move in here. My lease was for 6 months but I'm leaving after 5. I didn't tell him originally i would be leaving early. He's quite happy with that. Try and find someone who would take over the lease. And he's happy to give me my deposit back too.
I did think of doing a moonlight flit and losing the deposit but it wasnt necessary, which I am pleased about. Didn't want to leave him in the lurch. Failing that you could always say that you have been offered a brilliant job elsewhere and you need to start asap or you will lose the opportunity blah blah. Try and give him 6 weeks notice though so he can find another tenant. I know its telling Porkies but hey ho.......