Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much are your electricity bills?

How much are your electricity bills?

Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:44 am
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How much are your electricity bills?

Originally Posted by Moody Cow
OMG, I would die if my bill was that high!!! We live in Perth, 2 adults in a 4 bed house with a pool, mostly elec with gas water heater, 2 fridges, ceiling fans in rooms. We have just had a split system a/c unit installed but have yet to use it so things might change come the summer but at present our bill is approx $100 per quarter and $75 ish for gas. We run the pool pump for about 2 hours per day (we don't spend a bunch on pool chemicals, just dump some chlorine in once a month and we are good to go). We both work so no-one's at home during the week, maybe thats why its fairly low???

MC

Further to my own post, I have just received my bill this morning from Western Power. Whoever pointed out that the bills are not quarterly are correct, mine is for 63 days and the charge is $119.00 - fairly reasonable I think as we have had an electric heater on a few times and the tumble dryer on at weekends. I used to pay that monthly when we lived in Florida with the A/C on all day everyday.

MC
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:55 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Price of eletric power in UK

Standard User - General Domestic Tariff: average ~£0.055 / kWh = ~$0.13 / kWh.

Typical 3 bedroom detached house UK: £411 / year = ~$940 / year.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Are you done in Adelaide by any chance ? I just heard it's a lot colder down there, and you may need heating running more often
Nope - Sydney - and I still need the heating on more often

I haven't had it off (phnar phnar!!!) in ages
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:39 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Oh my god some of your bills are so high for a normal house

I have my leccy supplied by Western Power and am billed approx 2.5 monthly, details below. we are charged at 15.88c (aparently business rate) per unit, how much are others charged per unit?

most recent 1st
56 days 650.35 3638 units (may/june)
65 days 639.10 3560 units (march/april)
69 days 678.60 3780 units (jan/feb)
50 days 474.65 2484 units (nov/dec)

Might seem high but it is for a 22 bedroom 2 story building being used as a backpackers, using the following items with the hours stated

24 hour emergency lighting
3 washing machines doing between 5 and 20 washes a day
2 dryers which have been used in the last 3 months approx 25 days from 8am until between 4pm and on about 7 occasions up to midnight.
1 beer fridge,24hrs
1 normal full size fridge freezer 24 hrs
1 3 door comercial fridge 24 hrs
1 coka cola vending machine 24 hrs
2 chest freezers 24 hrs
3 computers 24 hrs
3 sterios and 3 tv's on approx 16 hrs
3 strings of party lights ( each with 12 25 wt bulbs) 8hrs
3 office water despencers which are on consistant cool and boil 24hrs
2 foxtel machines 16hrs (24hr standby)
3 dvd/video players (standby 24hrs)
toaster and kettle being used by 20 to 50 people daily
3 microwaves averaging 30 mins each per day
my oven 1hr
min of 25 max of 47 lightbulbs running for aprox 6 hrs a day, oh forgot bed side lamps so that adds another potential 50 lightbulbs.
heaters in winter but to be fair the building is old with very thick walls so pretty good for keeping heat in and they only need to come on when it has been overcast and raining for a good 4 days which is very rare
No aircon but between 15-28 fans running all night in summer

I think that is a lot of leccy to use and my bills are not much more than some of yours for houses, our meter is really really really old, maybe it is reading incorrectly, not that I am complaining.

Kala
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:07 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Oh my god some of your bills are so high for a normal house

I have my leccy supplied by Western Power and am billed approx 2.5 monthly, details below. we are charged at 15.88c (aparently business rate) per unit, how much are others charged per unit?

most recent 1st
56 days 650.35 3638 units (may/june)
65 days 639.10 3560 units (march/april)
69 days 678.60 3780 units (jan/feb)
50 days 474.65 2484 units (nov/dec)

Might seem high but it is for a 22 bedroom 2 story building being used as a backpackers, using the following items with the hours stated

24 hour emergency lighting
3 washing machines doing between 5 and 20 washes a day
2 dryers which have been used in the last 3 months approx 25 days from 8am until between 4pm and on about 7 occasions up to midnight.
1 beer fridge,24hrs
1 normal full size fridge freezer 24 hrs
1 3 door comercial fridge 24 hrs
1 coka cola vending machine 24 hrs
2 chest freezers 24 hrs
3 computers 24 hrs
3 sterios and 3 tv's on approx 16 hrs
3 strings of party lights ( each with 12 25 wt bulbs) 8hrs
3 office water despencers which are on consistant cool and boil 24hrs
2 foxtel machines 16hrs (24hr standby)
3 dvd/video players (standby 24hrs)
toaster and kettle being used by 20 to 50 people daily
3 microwaves averaging 30 mins each per day
my oven 1hr
min of 25 max of 47 lightbulbs running for aprox 6 hrs a day, oh forgot bed side lamps so that adds another potential 50 lightbulbs.
heaters in winter but to be fair the building is old with very thick walls so pretty good for keeping heat in and they only need to come on when it has been overcast and raining for a good 4 days which is very rare
No aircon but between 15-28 fans running all night in summer

I think that is a lot of leccy to use and my bills are not much more than some of yours for houses, our meter is really really really old, maybe it is reading incorrectly, not that I am complaining.

Kala
Check the units printed on your meter - even though it is a reasonable assumption that each unit is 1 kilo watt hour (kWh).

You are in Whoop Whoop so pay more than the national average domestic rate of around $0.1 / kWh.

Your meter might be old and not recalibrated recently - but perhaps a pervious owner bypassed one or more meters?

Also you do not include electricity for heating / cooling.

Last edited by Megalania; Aug 4th 2005 at 2:09 am.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Moody Cow
Further to my own post, I have just received my bill this morning from Western Power. Whoever pointed out that the bills are not quarterly are correct, mine is for 63 days and the charge is $119.00 - fairly reasonable I think as we have had an electric heater on a few times and the tumble dryer on at weekends. I used to pay that monthly when we lived in Florida with the A/C on all day everyday.

MC
It looks like NSW & WA get electric bills about every 2 months; here in QLD, at least in my part, we get them every 3 months.

Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rudi
Nope - Sydney - and I still need the heating on more often

I haven't had it off (phnar phnar!!!) in ages
When I lived in Western Sydney in 2002, my last 4 Electric bills were:
$151.56 Mar/Apr
$318.09 May/June
$339.75 July/Aug
$173.38 Sep/Oct

these were every two months, the high ones were in winter, and as I worked from home, I had heating or cooling on just about all the time as needed.

Old Aug 4th 2005, 4:13 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
I imagine you have a water heater not a boiler?

Also I imagine your water heater is using 10 kWh per night (energy) not 10 kW at night (power) - over 12 hours 10 kW would be 12 * 10 = 120 kWh and your water heater turn into a boiler - if it is not leaking heat or water.

Specific heat of water is 4.2 J / g.C.

To heat 400 litres of water from 15C to 60C takes 4.2 * 400 * 1,000 * (60 - 15) = 75,6000,000 Joules = 75 MJ.

1kWh = 3.6MJ (since 1 W = 1 J/s; 1000 * 60 * 60 = 3,600,000).

To heat 400 litres of water from 15C to 60C would require 75 / 3.6 = 20 kWh.

If you are using 10 kWh per night, it is the amount of energy required to heat 400 litres by 22.5C.

Check the hot water temperature - 60C is standard but 50C will reduce heat loss from heater.

Check for leaks - water and heat - check / add pipe lagging especially that close to the heater.

Check hot water consumption.

Check temperature of heater surface - water in it's insulation and the like will reduce the insulating efficiency. There are commercially available post-installation wrap-around insulation systems available.

To add: 20 kWh per day for 90 days at $0.1 per kWh will cost $180.
Crikey! I only wanted to know if all my electricity used over night should go on the off peak meter or not. I didn't know there was a difference between a boiler and a water heater. Over the last few days I've been logging my ussage of electricity at 8am, noon and midnight and can safely say the boiler (water heater ) which I've since found out is a 4.8kw heater, uses about 8 to 10 kwh per night. I don't know what temperature it raises it by as its starting temperature is different every night due to the demand for hot water bieng varied day to day, but its toastie every morning. Our cost of electricity is 14.2 cents peak and 5.2 cents off peak by the way.

Megalania your not a teacher by any chance are you? what is your profession if you don't mind me asking?
Old Aug 4th 2005, 6:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by arkon
Crikey! I only wanted to know if all my electricity used over night should go on the off peak meter or not. I didn't know there was a difference between a boiler and a water heater. Over the last few days I've been logging my ussage of electricity at 8am, noon and midnight and can safely say the boiler (water heater ) which I've since found out is a 4.8kw heater, uses about 8 to 10 kwh per night. I don't know what temperature it raises it by as its starting temperature is different every night due to the demand for hot water bieng varied day to day, but its toastie every morning. Our cost of electricity is 14.2 cents peak and 5.2 cents off peak by the way.

Megalania your not a teacher by any chance are you? what is your profession if you don't mind me asking?
By day a raconteur, haven't found out about the nights yet.

Sounds like you have day-dreamy showerers in your house or a problem with your hot water system. Take readings from your water meter for water consumption - especially after last use at night to before first use in the morning to see if you have a bad leak.

Talk to your power supplier and an electrician to make sure they know what is right re off-peak.

To add: if your heater is near replacement and you live in a warm winter climate, consider an electric heat pump hot water heater.

Last edited by Megalania; Aug 4th 2005 at 6:36 am.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:32 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
By day a raconteur, haven't found out about the nights yet.

Sounds like you have day-dreamy showerers in your house or a problem with your hot water system. Take readings from your water meter for water consumption - especially after last use at night to before first use in the morning to see if you have a bad leak.

Talk to your power supplier and an electrician to make sure they know what is right re off-peak.

To add: if your heater is near replacement and you live in a warm winter climate, consider an electric heat pump hot water heater.
A raconteur eh? I didn't know they had jackanory out here! LOL