Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much are your electricity bills?

How much are your electricity bills?

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:21 am
Badge

Default Re: How much are your electricity bills?

Originally Posted by steve99
Makes sense now, part of the shallow end in mine just as it start to go up the side doesnt get that well cleaned, I usually brush it down further into the pool, but the vacuum thing sounds like a good idea, I'll have to see if I can track them down.
Ive got a ridiculously long pole already, im forever cracking it into things
I got it caught on a climbing rose the other day and nearly took an accidental dip.
Our waters warmed up a bit over the past few weeks. was at 18c on sunday afternoon, but saw it down at around 13c when we had the cold snap in June.
Cheers
Steve
no worries - likewise that bloody pole needs a licence.

Badge

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=steve99]
We diverse!, back to the original question, our bills about $200-250 per quarter
[QUOTE]

Just out of interest the people who are quoting from their bills - are you sure they are per quarter??

I know that the bill i get from Western Power is billed every two months! (last 2 $180 and $330 - increase due to winter and pool installation)

I never asked for any specific billing period so I can only assume this is the same for everyone (who uses Western Power - dunno about other states)

D

p.s. I think that generally 950sqm would be considered a fairly big plot for a suburban house.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:23 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Elec bill was $387, 5 of us, used dryer a lot due to rain . No ac or pool we sold all that and are renting, will not be contemplating summer without ac or pool tho and will expect electricity to go back up to high 400's.

Salt water pools need the filter to run daily to make the chlorine, ours was 6 to 8 hours a day in mid summer to keep the chlorine up to health standards, we have a lot of kids over and the backyard pool is one of the most common places to pick up illness especially if you have a lot of kids over.

Never heard of hooking your pool up to off peak power, the Qld night rate electricity tariff is discounted, but is for storage type hot water systems only. Maybe you can hook pools in melbourne to the off peak it would help with the cost of melting the ice off the top of the pool. Joke No weather stats please.

To the OP, your bills are about the same as mine! Maybe even less. No idea why. Had several chats with Energex who I have found to be very helpful.
And to Jad n rich, Energex told me "they" can hook up my spa heater, pool pump and even my freezer (don't have one) to the night rate here in QLD along with my hot water. The problem is when you do that there is no manual over-ride so I have not proceeded.

Andrew
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:25 am
Badge

Originally Posted by darkless

p.s. I think that generally 950sqm would be considered a fairly big plot for a suburban house.
Would be near enough the traditional 1/4 acre.
Very rare now.

Badge

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:31 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmm!

J&R - glad its not just me that runs it that long then . You can get a cheaper rate electricity here suitable for pool filters through Energex, I was looking on their site the other day for dishwasher models & saw it, so it is available.

Al - you must have a big yard as well! :scared: We were told 8 & 6hrs, so yours runs a little less than ours in winter, but similar in summer.

To Ceri & Moody Cow - not having kids & not being home during the day will make a big impact Im sure. We run 2 tvs in the evenings, 3 computers 24/7, the kids leave lights on everywhere, have 3 fridges (yes, 2 of them are old ones, although we dont have them in use atm as its winter), about 10 loads of washing/week (& yes a dryer because I cant carry clothes out to the clothesline easily) etc etc. It adds up! Our bill at our new house is slightly less than old house for 2 reasons, firstly we have a wood burning stove so dont use an electric heater & secondly, we have gas hot water. But add those 2 things on & they are similar. Usually in the $400-$500 range.

Badge - sorry, I didnt read your post properly cos I was in a hurry , you're right total alkalinity is different, I thought you just said alkalinity .
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:43 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkless

Just out of interest the people who are quoting from their bills - are you sure they are per quarter??

I know that the bill i get from Western Power is billed every two months! (last 2 $180 and $330 - increase due to winter and pool installation)

I never asked for any specific billing period so I can only assume this is the same for everyone (who uses Western Power - dunno about other states)

D

Yep, ours are per quarter. And I agree, 950 sqm is a fairly big block in suburbia these days (didnt used to be here in Brisbane at least, but they have subdivided many blocks close to the city).

Steve - 8 metres across????? :scared: Or do you mean long? Ours is rectangular, 1.2- 2m deep, 12m long & 4.2m wide. Found a cool website to work out the litreage here http://www.havuz.org/pool-calculators.htm#pool_volume . Ours comes in at 78,000 litres according to that.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:16 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Yep, ours are per quarter. And I agree, 950 sqm is a fairly big block in suburbia these days (didnt used to be here in Brisbane at least, but they have subdivided many blocks close to the city).

Steve - 8 metres across????? :scared: Or do you mean long? Ours is rectangular, 1.2- 2m deep, 12m long & 4.2m wide. Found a cool website to work out the litreage here http://www.havuz.org/pool-calculators.htm#pool_volume . Ours comes in at 78,000 litres according to that.
Will have to check on the frequency of our bill when I get home, felt sure it was 3 months but given its Western Power and what Darkless said it might only be 2.

No idea why I typed 8metres across, It is fairly wide though, Its just over 6 at the widest part (deep end) and probably between 3 and 4 before it curves at the shallow end. And it has a slide which is the only way anyone new to the house is allowed to enter the pool, House rules and all
I'll check that calc thingy out and see what it reckons.
Our suburb City Beach is one of a few(within a relatively close proximity to the city) which still has relatively large blocks, many would be much bigger than ours though. Thankfully they havent changed the zoning like some other suburbs so we dont have duplex blocks everywhere.
Im not sure of the exact size but I dont think you can have a block under about 700sqm here.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:27 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arkon
Ok Folks can you all post what your last 2 electric bills were please, Mine was $540 then $420. I can't find the culpret thats burning all the leccy. I need some idea if mine are normal or exceptional. Thanks all.
Our last two were $240 and $260. We have Gas heating, but electric in the bedrooms, and i have a computer running 24/7
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 7:55 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've found the cause of the high bills. We have a 400L hot water boiler that although uses off peak electric also comes on during the day and basically regardless of the time keeps the water toastie. I've done some measurements and it uses about 10kw at night and 10kw during the day, the difference being during the day its 3 times the cost. Also I've just discovered that its only the boiler that goes on to off peak tarif, everything else on during the night goes on the peak meter! This can't be right, surely all electric used at night should go on the off peak meter?? Anyone know if this is right for NSW Country Energy?

Also the house is full of low voltage 12v 50w halogen lights. switch one switch and 4 or 5 come on depending on the room, each light has a transformer too so a 4 light circuit is about 240 watts! Which is just under $20 a quarter per set of 4 lights, if on for 6 hours a day. It all soon adds up.

Not sure what the solution is but currently about 8kwh are going on the peak meter every night which I would prefer to go on the off peak meter anyone know if this is possile or do I have to get the coat hanger wire out and make some of my own special spaghetti in the power distribution box?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

OOO EEEK!

My bill for the last quarter was over $600!! I'm expecting more for the next one as I've had the aircon on more to heat the house. We have a pool and I think the filter is on 6 hours a day - maybe I need to take that down to 4. But the heating........couldn't do without it!!!

I know some friends who's bills are usually higher than mine so I thought I was pretty good at 'only' having it at $600......now I am beginning to wonder!

Rudi
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rudi
OOO EEEK!

My bill for the last quarter was over $600!! I'm expecting more for the next one as I've had the aircon on more to heat the house. We have a pool and I think the filter is on 6 hours a day - maybe I need to take that down to 4. But the heating........couldn't do without it!!!

I know some friends who's bills are usually higher than mine so I thought I was pretty good at 'only' having it at $600......now I am beginning to wonder!

Rudi
Are you done in Adelaide by any chance ? I just heard it's a lot colder down there, and you may need heating running more often

Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:26 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Electricity bills! Sore point!

I've been trying for four months to get Integral Energy to bill me by direct debit: they keep saying they have it fixed up - and then send me bills saying I'm overdue and will be disconnected! I have sent the D/D form off three times now, been assured it's actioned and ........ "due to non-payment you will be disconnected".

I have tried to get another supplier - AGL - but after six weeks they too seem incapable of sending me any application or D/D forms, despite regular calls.

If those of you who are coming think the UK is inefficient - just wait!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

MistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Are you done in Adelaide by any chance ? I just heard it's a lot colder down there, and you may need heating running more often
It certainly is a little colder in Adelaide. We had our electricity bill yesterday. Two months with no pool or extra fridges etc in three bed house $450.00. Was a bit of a shock to say the least.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:31 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by arkon
Well I've found the cause of the high bills. We have a 400L hot water boiler that although uses off peak electric also comes on during the day and basically regardless of the time keeps the water toastie. I've done some measurements and it uses about 10kw at night and 10kw during the day, the difference being during the day its 3 times the cost. Also I've just discovered that its only the boiler that goes on to off peak tarif, everything else on during the night goes on the peak meter! This can't be right, surely all electric used at night should go on the off peak meter?? Anyone know if this is right for NSW Country Energy?

Also the house is full of low voltage 12v 50w halogen lights. switch one switch and 4 or 5 come on depending on the room, each light has a transformer too so a 4 light circuit is about 240 watts! Which is just under $20 a quarter per set of 4 lights, if on for 6 hours a day. It all soon adds up.

Not sure what the solution is but currently about 8kwh are going on the peak meter every night which I would prefer to go on the off peak meter anyone know if this is possile or do I have to get the coat hanger wire out and make some of my own special spaghetti in the power distribution box?
I imagine you have a water heater not a boiler?

Also I imagine your water heater is using 10 kWh per night (energy) not 10 kW at night (power) - over 12 hours 10 kW would be 12 * 10 = 120 kWh and your water heater turn into a boiler - if it is not leaking heat or water.

Specific heat of water is 4.2 J / g.C.

To heat 400 litres of water from 15C to 60C takes 4.2 * 400 * 1,000 * (60 - 15) = 75,6000,000 Joules = 75 MJ.

1kWh = 3.6MJ (since 1 W = 1 J/s; 1000 * 60 * 60 = 3,600,000).

To heat 400 litres of water from 15C to 60C would require 75 / 3.6 = 20 kWh.

If you are using 10 kWh per night, it is the amount of energy required to heat 400 litres by 22.5C.

Check the hot water temperature - 60C is standard but 50C will reduce heat loss from heater.

Check for leaks - water and heat - check / add pipe lagging especially that close to the heater.

Check hot water consumption.

Check temperature of heater surface - water in it's insulation and the like will reduce the insulating efficiency. There are commercially available post-installation wrap-around insulation systems available.

To add: 20 kWh per day for 90 days at $0.1 per kWh will cost $180.

Last edited by Megalania; Aug 4th 2005 at 12:44 am.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:34 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rudi
OOO EEEK!

Rudi
Pool pump (typically) 750 W for 6 hours for 90 days at $0.1 / kWh = $40.50

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.