British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How much are your electricity bills? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-much-your-electricity-bills-317360/)

arkon Aug 1st 2005 10:04 am

How much are your electricity bills?

Ok Folks can you all post what your last 2 electric bills were please, Mine was $540 then $420. I can't find the culpret thats burning all the leccy. I need some idea if mine are normal or exceptional. Thanks all.

Libra76 Aug 1st 2005 10:07 am

Re: How much are your electricity bills?

Is that a 3-monthly bill?? Still have to get our first one... I'm a bit scared now :scared:

Cheers
Els

ABCDiamond Aug 1st 2005 10:21 am

May-03 $277.00
Aug-03 $267.35
Nov-03 $264.05
Apr-04 $344.40
Jun-04 $291.20
Sep-04 $312.30
Dec-04 $301.70
Mar-05 $325.30
Jun-05 $317.00

For a 2 Storey ALL Electric house, (No Gas), 4 bed + study, with one PC on all day long :)

MrsDagboy Aug 1st 2005 10:33 am

Ours are always between $400 & $500, the biggest culprits are things that run all day/night or long periods of time ie having 3 fridges like we had :eek: or 3 or 4 computers running 24/7 , pool filter running 8 hrs/day or things with heating elements in them ie dryer & dishwasher & electric heaters.

Bordy Aug 1st 2005 10:35 am

Last two were around the $200 mark but we also have gas I take it you guys between $400 & $500 don't use gas.

arkon Aug 1st 2005 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Libra76
Is that a 3-monthly bill?? Still have to get our first one... I'm a bit scared now :scared:

Cheers
Els

Yes 3 months each.

arkon Aug 1st 2005 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
Last two were around the $200 mark but we also have gas I take it you guys between $400 & $500 don't use gas.

No gas.

arkon Aug 1st 2005 11:16 am

Thanks all, looks like $400+ is about right then. Seems expensive to me though. Thought I'd save once winter got here but then needed to heat the house! Can't win. Off now to rub 2 sticks together.

Ceri Aug 2nd 2005 3:20 am

Originally Posted by arkon
Ok Folks can you all post what your last 2 electric bills were please, Mine was $540 then $420. I can't find the culpret thats burning all the leccy. I need some idea if mine are normal or exceptional. Thanks all.

Ours is usually in the $200's - $240 $260 etc etc ( haven't got my my bills on me, but they are in the $200's), a bit higher regarding what time of year ( aircon usage in summer, heat in the evenings this time of year) . My last bill I think was high 200's - $280 something like that. $540 and $420 seems very excessive to me , even if you have more than two people , a family of four etc I would not think it would account for almost double the cost ( nobody I personally know pays this much with kids etc - their bills tend to be just a bit more than mine) - you are still are using the same things minus a few extra things on at the same time, such as extra TV's , aircons/heat running in kids rooms etc etc

Have you got a pool which may account for your high bill? Or maybe an aircon/heat on running all day? That would be expensive if you are using an aircon all day and evening.

We haven't got a pool . Pool pumps usually knock them up quite a bit it would seem. Also depends if you're in the house all day using power such as aircon and heat , or kids using everything etc - that would knock it up quite a bit I would think.
Ours is usually in the $200's - two adults who are not at home in the day, large 4 bed home, reverse cycle aircons - heat in the nights at the moment, two fridges, etc etc - everything is run on electric with us, we have no gas either ( except for the cooker top , bottled gas just for that - which would not account for much of a cheaper bill - our oven is electric)

No I don't think your bill is normal, I think it is too high - you must be using something which eats the electric up a lot . I'd have a shock if ours was this high and I'd be calling energex to query our bill

cheers :)

Badge Aug 2nd 2005 3:35 am

Our bill was a bit high and I put it down to the pool pump and the beer fridge.

Is it possible to turn down the thermostat on the water service? Our water is boiling hot - maybe we can save there. There is no sign of a thermostat.

Badge

steve99 Aug 2nd 2005 3:47 am

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
pool filter running 8 hrs/day...

8hrs a day :scared: that sounds a bit extreme, we run ours for 2x 2hr stints in summer and drop it down to about half that during winter, and its fine. I guess your pools probably usuable for longer periods of the year than ours so might need to be on for longer. Did someone tell you to run it for that long? have you tried it for less and had problems? sorry just being nosey :) , whenever ive spoken to a pool shop ive hardly trusted a word the've said, they just want to sell you heaps of chemicals which probably just degrade all the working parts of your pool so you have to shell out for new bits. Plus you end up with your pool so finely balanced with chemicals that any slight deviation from the norm and your in big trouble, I hardly put anything in mine, its as clear as the tap water (and probably tastes slightly better ;) )
Steve :)

Stu.E Aug 2nd 2005 3:48 am

Originally Posted by arkon

Between $120 - $150 per quarter. 2 Bed Terrace house. No air-con/pool etc & we only use a small two bar heater.

Badge Aug 2nd 2005 3:56 am

Originally Posted by steve99
8hrs a day :scared: that sounds a bit extreme, we run ours for 2x 2hr stints in summer and drop it down to about half that during winter, and its fine. I guess your pools probably usuable for longer periods of the year than ours so might need to be on for longer. Did someone tell you to run it for that long? have you tried it for less and had problems? sorry just being nosey :) , whenever ive spoken to a pool shop ive hardly trusted a word the've said, they just want to sell you heaps of chemicals which probably just degrade all the working parts of your pool so you have to shell out for new bits. Plus you end up with your pool so finely balanced with chemicals that any slight deviation from the norm and your in big trouble, I hardly put anything in mine, its as clear as the tap water (and probably tastes slightly better ;) )
Steve :)

I'm inclined to agree - to an extent. Keep the total alkanity right, then the pH will follow.

I run our pump in the winter once a week all night during cheapo hours, followed by a 1hr vacuum then a manual one to get all the bits the crawly missed.

Badge

hedgehog-girl Aug 2nd 2005 4:04 am

Hi, one was from Jan to April and that was $130.00 and the other was just recently and that was $151.00, we have computer/fridge/dishwasher/washing machine etc...running a fair amount for 2 people in a 2 bedder...

Hope this helps

A dogs life Aug 2nd 2005 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Badge
Our bill was a bit high and I put it down to the pool pump and the beer fridge.

Your beer fridge will run more efficiently if you keep it stocked full of beer.

Its True!