Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much would you need to move?

How much would you need to move?

Old Mar 10th 2014, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much would you need to move?

I know this depends on each different person.
Trying to decide whether to just wing it and just selling everything I have this month - should have £5k in my pocket after landing.
Alternately I can wait a lot longer and try to save £10k. Problem is I know I'll be spending what I do have before I can re-save.
I'm giving myself a week to decide, will fire off a few CVs see if I can line up anything quick.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much would you need to move?

Do you have your visa lined up and if so which one? (will impact job finding prospects).

Personally, no way would I have moved if I had only had £10k in my pocket. I might have done a WHV with this when I was younger. But for a permanent move when I had just turned 40, I preferred to have more of a nest egg and safety net. We spent a good £25k on our moving and visa process.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for citizenship and got it last week. I know people that moved there and did just fine with only £5k but that was 6 years ago and perhaps they got better value for their pound.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz_F will become famous soon enough

The Australian dollar has gained in some strength against sterling of late.

We moved to the USA in 2007 and got through well over five grand (UK) in just start-up costs. Budgeting much, much more for our move to Brisbane later this year.

I really would sit down and do a full financial workout if I were going over with such a limited amount. Rental deposit and a decent car would probably wipe you out unless you have relatives you can stay with.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

If you have friends to stay with then 5 grand would last a while. If you have to rent without a job then double or treble that..
Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

All depends where you're planning on going, what your skill set is and how materialistic you are. Personally I wouldn't go with less than £15k if you fancy living in a biggish city, in a nice-ish place and plan on having some transport. They do reckon that new migrants should budget for 6 months out of work funds plus set up costs
Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
I applied for citizenship and got it last week. I know people that moved there and did just fine with only £5k but that was 6 years ago and perhaps they got better value for their pound.
There are other factors, like having access to somewhere cheap to stay and ease of getting work. I think I would be tempted to save up longer, what is the rush, give yourself a better chance of a successful move.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
I always thought you had to apply for citizenship within Australia.

Best of Luck
Old Mar 10th 2014, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TimbersBack

Best of Luck
I don't know! I'm the most useless at this sort of thing took me 4 years to get it done. Got rejected first time because I filled in the "wrong" form so I rage quit for 3 years and only restarted the process last year under ministerial discretions process.

Its true that being without a car would kill me, and probs spend most of my money on that but apart from that I don't think I'd suffer without anything else for a bit. Because its taken me so long to get myself going I'm kinda wanting to move whilst I have momentum.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz_F will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TimbersBack

Best of Luck

Depends on the circumstances; my wife qualified for, and received, Citizenship by Descent as my other in law is Australian.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 11:56 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

UK 5k might last you for 10-12 weeks I guess, unless you are staying with friends/family for a bit and then it may last longer. If you are looking for shared appartment / house to live in you would be looking at about $200 p/w for something half decent depending upon where you decide to live. That would extend your stay a bit, but there will be a big chunk of bond to pay.

Renting a house for yourself - well that could be anything from 400 - 900+ per week depending upon what you want. Try and head for somewhere that won't require a car, that will use up most of your 5K in one hit. Bangers here cost 1000's not 100's.

It's do-able but more would be safer. remember to stash a bit for a return ticket should things get too tight.

Last edited by spuddyo; Mar 11th 2014 at 12:00 am.