Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much to upgrade?

How much to upgrade?

Old Aug 26th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Paula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nice
Default How much to upgrade?

You know when you book yr flights, in say ecomomy...how much extra (ish ) does it cost to upgrade to business class?

A few of our friends have said to just upgrade when we get to the airport (obv theres always the chance there wont be any room in business class) but I have no idea what kinds cost we'd be looking at

Anyone help

Paula xx
Old Aug 26th 2008, 3:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much to upgrade?

Originally Posted by Paula_lou
You know when you book yr flights, in say ecomomy...how much extra (ish ) does it cost to upgrade to business class?

A few of our friends have said to just upgrade when we get to the airport (obv theres always the chance there wont be any room in business class) but I have no idea what kinds cost we'd be looking at

Anyone help

Paula xx
Upgrading at the airport is nigh on impossible these days. As for paying to upgrade your ticket once you've bought it, the cost will depend on the original ticket price/class, and you will need to talk to the airline.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

Depends on the airline and whether its full booked, but emirates for example is £5324 on the 21st nov, 1 adult and 1 child. You wont get any discount or anything for booking it at airport, it will be exactly the same price as if you had booked it prior (well probably minus the price of your economy ticket) so your looking at about 1500-2000 each to upgrade.

When my dad last flew home (he lives in dubai) he was in business class emirates and a bloke came storming through the curtain saying he couldnt possibly sit in economy, luckily there was room and he paid there and then on the plane, my dad said it was over 2 grand.

I leave on the 21st nov with emiartes but have talked my dad round into upgrading me with his airmiles

kelly

Last edited by taylor25; Aug 26th 2008 at 4:52 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

My brother has just been to Hawaii and he upgraded when he got to the airport and it cost him $300.00. They said if you had done it before it would have cost you a $1000.00 so just ask its pot luck really.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 11:49 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paula_lou

Anyone help

Paula xx
It really depends on the airline as to whether it will be possible & how much it will cost for a discounted upgrade.

The American airlines are most likely to offer this service although I've heard its common on Thai and possibly also BA. Singapore Airlines - I'd say forget it - they rarely offer upgrades of any kind as they really like to preserve the status of their premium products.

I reckon United Airlines would be your best bet for this. Last time I flew on them the self check in machine at JFK offered me an upgrade to business for US$350. I thought about it but declined, then I got upgraded at the gate anyway - for free! About US$300 seems to be common to upgrade a single sector.

Last edited by bcworld; Aug 26th 2008 at 11:58 pm.