Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much Upfront when renting a house..

How much Upfront when renting a house..

Old May 13th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of
Default How much Upfront when renting a house..

Assuming the rent is $.250 p.w., am I correct with the following:-

Security Bond (4 weeks rent) = $1,000
Two weeks rent in advance = $.500
Letting Fee = 1 week = $.250

Say altogether = $.1,750
What else ? Have i forgotten something ?
Are Electricity - Water - Gas deposits/connection cost included or they must be catered for separately ?

Anything about maintenance cost for garden for example or condominium for aparments.

-
Old May 13th 2007, 9:00 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How much Upfront when renting a house..

Originally Posted by olauf

Say altogether = $.1,750
Are Electricity - Water - Gas deposits/connection cost included or they must be catered for separately ?

Anything about maintenance cost for garden for example or condominium for aparments.

-
sounds about right, just need to pay your gas and phone bill ontop of the weekly rent! That weekly rent sounds very cheap!? We viewed one rental that had the garden maintained in the price but if you wanted to do it yourself you got $25 off per week. Also you may find it hard to rent if you arent both in full time work, we didnt earn enough because wife didnt have a job so would not let us rent, only got the rental because we showed them a statement of your bank account with house sale funds and give them 3 months rent in advance! We pay $340 per week. Hope this helps, Pete
Old May 13th 2007, 9:13 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olauf

Say altogether = $.1,750

-
Cost are about right........gas, elec are not included........water rates landlord pays....you just pay a small percentage (ours is about $50 a quarter).

You usually have to pay a fee for setting up a gas, elec & phone account which is retuned if you opt to pay via Direct Debit.....obviously this varies depending on supplier

If you're renting then the maintenance costs for garden etc would be paid by the landlord.

HTH

Rach xxxx
Old May 13th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Hi Pete

Thanks for your input - I hope to find rent in the range of $.250 in Perth. Don't know if i'm dreaming or not ...

Old May 13th 2007, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I spend half my life on here and the other half looking at rentals/for sales on realestate.com check them out if you haven't already, another good one is domain... they have some virtual tours...
Old May 13th 2007, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

cra1gm is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds right, be careful when you sign up for your electricity. they tried their damn best to take a $100 security deposit from me. if however you pay montlhy by dd, this is not necessary - they dont tell you this though!

btw this was with energex - queensland
Old May 14th 2007, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cra1gm
sounds right, be careful when you sign up for your electricity. they tried their damn best to take a $100 security deposit from me. if however you pay montlhy by dd, this is not necessary - they dont tell you this though!

btw this was with energex - queensland
Hi
I thought electricity, water and utilities are paid quarterly i/o monthly.
So noted no deposit needed when paying by direct debit.