Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much tax will I pay?

How much tax will I pay?

Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much tax will I pay?

Hi, I'm trying to work out how much we could expect to earn when we get to Australia. Does anyone know what the rate of tax/NI (or equivalent) is?

Also, I've seen supper annuation mentioned, is this something that comes out of your salary or is it something that your employer pays?

Finally, does anyone know any job sites/papers that actually show salaries? I've been looking on seek.com but they hardly ever show salaries!

Thanks, any advice greatfully received!

Emma
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:46 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much tax will I pay?

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Hi, I'm trying to work out how much we could expect to earn when we get to Australia. Does anyone know what the rate of tax/NI (or equivalent) is?

Also, I've seen supper annuation mentioned, is this something that comes out of your salary or is it something that your employer pays?

Finally, does anyone know any job sites/papers that actually show salaries? I've been looking on seek.com but they hardly ever show salaries!

Thanks, any advice greatfully received!

Emma
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/12333.htm

Income tax rates .. Salary to tax
$1 – $6,000 =Nil
$6,001 – $30,000 =15c for each $1 over $6,000
$30,001 – $75,000 = $3,600 plus 30c for each $1 over $30,000
$75,001 – $150,000 = $17,100 plus 40c for each $1 over $75,000
$150,001 and over = $47,100 plus 45c for each $1 over $150,000

Super = mandatory pension. Min contribution is 9%, often wages quote will include it, some employers add more
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:50 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what I've gleaned from the tax site, based on 2007/8 rates:

First A$6,000 - no tax
Next 24,000 - 15%
Next 45,000 - 30%
Next 75,000 - 40%
Thereafter - 45%

So for example on a gross salary of A$75,000 you would pay A$17,100;
on A$150,000 you would pay A$47,100;
on A$200,000 you would pay A$69,600, which equates to about 34.8%.

This excludes Medicare - for my calcs I've used 1.5% but haven't noted the reason for that. I'll try to find the source and edit this to add the link.

And I see somebody has just answered you but I've typed this so I'm posting it.

edited to add: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...pc=001/002/046

Last edited by Kooky.; Jan 31st 2008 at 9:55 am. Reason: URL
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply.

When you say, wages quote will often include it, does that mean if a job is say $60,000 I need to take off 9% so will be actually on salary of $54,600 ($5,400 being 9%)?

Hope that makes sense - not sure it does to me
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Thanks for the reply.

When you say, wages quote will often include it, does that mean if a job is say $60,000 I need to take off 9% so will be actually on salary of $54,600 ($5,400 being 9%)?

Hope that makes sense - not sure it does to me

Depends on the company, some will say salary including super and other will say salary plus super. Obviusly the ones including super will need 9% deducted and the ones plus super won't
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:57 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

So in effect they're quoting the package to make it look more attractive? Sneaky.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, I'm still trying to work out the blooming tax - maths never was my strong point lol! Will defo make sure I look for a job which has salary plus super!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:05 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Example ads

Plus super ad

http://it.seek.com.au/users/apply/in...JobID=11690854

Including super

http://it.seek.com.au/users/apply/in...JobID=11706628

Package

http://it.seek.com.au/users/apply/in...JobID=11436119
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:05 am
Auntie Fa

Emma, give me an idea of the salary you are trying to calculate it for and I'll do it for you. Give me a few if you like. I've got it all plugged into a spreadsheet (spot the ex-Accountant).
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:07 am
Auntie Fa

Not sure if this covers your profession but worth a look.

http://www.hays.com.au/salary/
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Seasider if you don't mind would you work out $30,000, $40,000, $50,000 and $60,000 for me! I'm not sure how much I will earn but I'm guessing it will be somewhere around there!

Thanks again.

Ems
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the link, I'll contact Hayes. I'm a legal executive in the UK, we've got our visa but we are waiting to emigrate until June 2009 when I qualify as a solicitor. I spoke to a legal recruitment agency and they said that legal secretaries can get around $60,000, but I'll have to go in as a paralegal to start with until I requalify and the salary will be between $30,000 and $50,000. I'm tempted to go back to secretarial work whilst i study the Australian exams and to get a decent mortgage.

Hubbie is an electrician, although he only qualified in 2004 so will probably have to go back to college or the TAFE thingy before he gets proper money for his trade.

Thanks for all your help.

Emma
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:21 am
Auntie Fa

On A$30,000 your Tax only would be A$3,600.
On A$40,000 it would be A$6,600.
On A$50,000 it would be A$9,600.
On A$60,000 it would be A$12,600.

Having just outed myself as a beancounter I do hope I've got that right.

I'm not sure if there are any concessions on those salaries; the link I posted earlier should tell you.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, I'm sure they're correct

I've just spoken with a really lovely lady at Hayes in London who deals with brits moving to Australia and NZ by finding them jobs. She's going to put me in touch with her Australian office who will be able to give me advice re salaries and hopefully find me employment when we're ready to leave. Thanks for that!!

Emma
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

To work out tax just use the calculator here:

http://au.pfinance.yahoo.com/calcula...ncome-tax.html

Enter your salary EXCLUDING super contributions. Be very careful with the whole inclusive / exclusive of super 'package' thing - I have been caught out before by sneaky prospective employers.

You then need to take off another 1.5% for medicare
And if you earn over $50k or you and your partner over $100k take off another 1% for medicare levy surcharge (unless you take out private medical insurance in which case this is waived).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.