Reload this Page >

How much savings!

How much savings!

Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

okso is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile How much savings!

Hi everyone,

Myself and the hubby are planning on moving to Oz in about 3 years time. So, we are trying to save at the moment. Does about $14K (aussie) seem like a logical amount to have to set us up?

He will be relocating with his aussie company, and we hope to rent a house (I'm expecting at the moment), bring our dog and buy some sort of a car over there. Do you think this is a decent amount to have or are we dreaming?
thanks!!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:14 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much savings!

Originally Posted by okso
Hi everyone,

Myself and the hubby are planning on moving to Oz in about 3 years time. So, we are trying to save at the moment. Does about $14K (aussie) seem like a logical amount to have to set us up?

He will be relocating with his aussie company, and we hope to rent a house (I'm expecting at the moment), bring our dog and buy some sort of a car over there. Do you think this is a decent amount to have or are we dreaming?
thanks!!
you'd be cutting it really thin. Assuming that you'd have your flights paid for by the company as well, you need at the minimum to be able to afford the deposits and such before you get a steady income stream. Cars tend to be expensive, e.g. 10K would not buy much of a car if you know what I mean. You need to research housing in the area you plan to move to, for a better idea on the rest of the costs.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Some people arrive with less.

Allow upto $10k for a car which will get you a relatively new Hyundia Getz with warranty or similar.
You may need up to 6 months rental to secure a rental home as an incentive to the owner to rent it to you. It depends on how much supply and demand there is.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

mollanclan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

thanks!!
Hi

I just asked this question in another thread and you will get some people say that it's not enough but what amount is enough! I think that as long as you're realistic about what you can afford and the kind of things you can get i.e. not buy the new mod cons and brand new bmw and know that you'll be able to afford IKEA and a second hand car then you'll be fine.

We plan to move in 2 years and we have 4 children and will have between £10,000 and £15,000 which I think will be more than enough for the kind of lifestyle we want.

Good luck,
Lynn x.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:51 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

thanks!!

The most important thing is for your hubby to negotiate as much into his relocation package as he can.

Hubby and I were repatriated from Germany to Perth with my ex company (a multinational American company) and we got business class flights, 40ft container, pet transportation, 3 months wages lumpsum for set-up costs. They even paid to transport our car across. All we had to pay were the pet quarantine fees and rental costs (which wasnt a problem cos we used the extra 3 months wages for that).

The more he can negotiate in, the less you will need to have savings for on arrival.

Assuming you get the basic relocation package of flights, plus 20ft container plus first months furnished rental (while waiting for container to arrive), and hubby starts working and earning straight away, your plan of $14k for startup costs should be more than fine. (It does depend slightly on where in Australia you will be relocating to - some areas are a lot more expensive than others).

Check out this thread for some useful advise. (If you have already read it, I apologise for posting it)

VK

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Feb 5th 2011 at 2:55 am. Reason: Clarification