Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much to rent/buy a car in Melbourne?

how much to rent/buy a car in Melbourne?

Old May 29th 2006, 9:59 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default how much to rent/buy a car in Melbourne?

Hiya!!!

Hubbie wants to know how much we'd be looking at to firstly -

Rent a car ( nothing fancy, just something to get us around whle we're checking out rentals ) for our first 3 weeks in Melbourne

and then

How much we'd be looking at to buy a 2nd hand car ( something similar to a Honda CRV, around years 2001 - 2003 ) in Melbourne.

All opinions appreciated!!

*pearly* ( and the hubster )
Old May 29th 2006, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much to rent/buy a car in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hiya!!!

Rent a car ( nothing fancy, just something to get us around whle we're checking out rentals ) for our first 3 weeks in Melbourne

and then

How much we'd be looking at to buy a 2nd hand car ( something similar to a Honda CRV, around years 2001 - 2003 ) in Melbourne.

The cheapest you will find and don't be put off by the name is Rent-a-Bomb. They hire out exactly what you are looking for - older cars to get you around.

http://www.rentabomb.com.au/

OzTennis
Old May 29th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

look at:

www.carsales.com.au

for second hand cars
Old May 29th 2006, 11:06 am
Melbourne

deputy dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya!!!

and then

I always used budget when visiting melbourne before i moved from UK, they were only slightly dearer than rent-a-bomb but you got a new car. As for buying second hand, i personally was amazed at the prices of second hand car prices here and eventually bought a new one. Was going to pay in around $10,000 - $12,000 AUD for a 2 year old Hyundai Getz, got a brand new one for $13,400 AUD. Peace of mind motoring in a brand new car. If you buy any care here in Victoria you have to pay 4% of the price in duty to the government.
Hope this helps

The Dog
Old May 29th 2006, 11:06 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
look at:

www.carsales.com.au

for second hand cars
That's a briliant site. Cheers for that!

*pearly*
Old May 29th 2006, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

That's a briliant site. Cheers for that!

*pearly*
A pointer we got from a salesman over the weekend was that if you're looking for a Mazda 3, get a new one - 2nd hand ones are more expensive. Anything else is better nearly new from the depreciation point of view.
Old May 29th 2006, 11:10 am
shoot from the hip,baby

Originally Posted by deputy dog
I always used budget when visiting melbourne before i moved from UK, they were only slightly dearer than rent-a-bomb but you got a new car. As for buying second hand, i personally was amazed at the prices of second hand car prices here and eventually bought a new one. Was going to pay in around $10,000 - $12,000 AUD for a 2 year old Hyundai Getz, got a brand new one for $13,400 AUD. Peace of mind motoring in a brand new car. If you buy any care here in Victoria you have to pay 4% of the price in duty to the government.
Hope this helps

The Dog

aghhhhhh - is that why the 2nd hand car prices are so high?? - Is the 4% to the government included in the 2nd hand car price or do you still have to fork out after paying?
Did you still have to pay the 4% when you bought the NEW car??
Very helpful answer by the way. THANKS!!

*pearly*
Old May 29th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

aghhhhhh - is that why the 2nd hand car prices are so high?? - Is the 4% to the government included in the 2nd hand car price or do you still have to fork out after paying?

*pearly*
Check the small print - even within the same dealer some cars are advertised "cash price" and some are "on the road", i.e. including the 4% stamp duty.
There's also a $30 transfer fee!

Not sure about the new car situation with tax.
Old May 29th 2006, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thribble
A pointer we got from a salesman over the weekend was that if you're looking for a Mazda 3, get a new one - 2nd hand ones are more expensive. Anything else is better nearly new from the depreciation point of view.
This intrigues me - a new car is cheaper than a used car? A Mazda 3 is an investment you are saying, buy one, use it and sell it for more than you paid. I don't think so somehow.

Perhaps the salesman said that the cars don't depreciate much so you are better off paying a little more and getting one brand new?

OzTennis
Old May 30th 2006, 1:37 am
Melbourne

deputy dog is an unknown quantity at this point

*pearly*
Some dealers include the 4% charge in their prices but you still have to pay the stamp duty even when buying second hand. I bought a dedicated gas ford falcon when i arrived here and am currently paying about 17p a litre for it, which is cheap compared to about 54p equivalent for unleaded a litre.
It costs me about $36 aud to fill my falcon up.

The Dog
Old May 30th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OzTennis
This intrigues me - a new car is cheaper than a used car? A Mazda 3 is an investment you are saying, buy one, use it and sell it for more than you paid. I don't think so somehow.

Perhaps the salesman said that the cars don't depreciate much so you are better off paying a little more and getting one brand new?

OzTennis
I didn't believe it either, but he said that, and he was a used car salesman sending us away, had we been specifically looking for that car, so I feel like I ought to believe him.

Of course he could have been having the Poms on
Old May 30th 2006, 12:16 pm
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

There are stamp duty thresholds on new cars depending on the base price including the delivery charge as follows. This is off the top of my head and may not be 100% accurate and I have only been in the industry a few weeks and my computer works it out anyway!

$0 - $35,000 = 2.5% Stamp Duty

$35,001 - $45,000 = 4% Stamp Duty

$45,001 and Over = 5% Stamp Duty.

There is also "Luxury Car Tax" (LCT) above $55,000 but I am not sure of the percentage.

Used cars and Dealer's Demos are charged at 4% no matter what the price.

For example we have a Toyota Yaris Sedan Demo for $22,000 drive away (4% Stamp Duty), but you can get a new one for $22,300 (RRP) brand new! (2.5% Stamp Duty).

By the way I can do you a Toyota RAV4 Demo for about $35,000 if you are interested, PM me if you are!